hitting nose/ tail of plastic kayak

Nothing obvious
There were some light scratches and scuffs, but plastic boats tend to get those even without ice-bashing or dragging.

ooops sorry
because you asked we thought you are like us…handsome, well educated, intelligent, rich, vastly experienced seamen.

In the distant past, I sailed docks but in a crewed 18’ sailboat at 11 mph in the full suicide downwind landing.

Check the neighborhood for a kayak course.

When I run into ice sheets in the winter

– Last Updated: Jan-12-15 12:09 AM EST –

I play "icebreaker" by paddling forward real fast and when I'm up on the ice, I then wiggle the kayak side to side, using my hips, to break more. Then it's back off the ice and do it all over again. It's only when the ice won't break anymore, I must do a back up 'body jerk' to get the boat back off the ice and head back home.
Hey! It's cheap entertainment for myself and I get to do what I like best. I've never gone over doing this. Yet! I've gone over in winter once. My first season and that was enough and I did have on proper clothing for a winter dip. That's the reason one needs to dress for immersion.
As far as boat damage? I've only had one FG which was a joy to paddle due to its design and weight but it didn't like the hard clay shelves or rock on one fast moving river. That trip chipped the gelcoat. I took it to a friends auto body shop for repair and she was never allowed on that nasty old river again.
Four out of five of our SIT's are Polylink (Old Town Canoe Co. product),take a real beating and are still going after many, many years of use plus some have hit our cement sea wall when approaching shore. Still, they keep on going with no seam or wall damage showing.
They're made for play and that's what we do with them.
Enjoy the sport.