How can I re-coat nylon pack-cloth spray skirt?

@willowleaf said:
How snug is the fit on the coaming with the Odyssey? I see from the specs it’s a bungee attachment.

It’s very snug over my 31.5" x 16.5" keyhole cockpit. Ordered from Marshall in late September because my Seals stretch nylon skirt let in too much water during roll-up practice with a paddle float. Odyssey keeps my cockpit dry.

Rookie, is that a 1.4 size that you use?

@willowleaf said:
Rookie, is that a 1.4 size that you use?

1.4 is the correct Seals size for a 31.5" x 16.5" keyhole and that’s what Marshall sent. However, Eddyline cockpit rims have a one-inch overhang and I could barely get the skirt over it, let alone off. Been there and done that with my Seals nylon stretch skirt when I had to resort to an “El cheapo” skirt until the bungee was replaced. Maybe I need to lift heavier weights.

So I returned the 1.4 and Marshall replaced it with a 1.7, which I can manage although I haven’t done a wet exit with it yet. Saving that for the pool when I’ll have a spotter around. The cockpits on both my boats are the same size and since I have one sitting in the living room, here’s a couple of photos showing the fit of the 1.7 Odyssey sans a person. It’s snug and smooth when I’m in the cockpit.

One note relating to the thread on big stores versus small businesses: Marshall initially offered to send both a 1.4 and 1.7, knowing my experience with the stretch skirt (also purchased from The River Connection and he was instrumental in getting it resolved). I passed on his offer, thinking the 1.4 would be fine. He was right, I was wrong. I’ll stick with an outfitter who has my safety interests in mind versus anonymously pushing a button for an online order.

Thanks, appreciate the shots and your experience. That does look like a nice clean skirt design.

But I think Seals sizing can often be out of line with reality. I bought a used kayak a few years back that came with a Seals neo deck skirt, marked size 1.7. At that time their sizing chart said that both my Venture Easky 15LV and my Feathercraft Wisper took a 1.7 Seals. The Wisper cockpit is 29.5" x 16" and the Easky is 34.5" x 19.5".

And now the Seals sizing lists the Wisper as a 2.2 even though it has the EXACT same coaming as a standard FC Kahuna (I had one of those before the Wisper) which they list as taking a 1.7.

I wish that, like Harmony and Snapdragon do, Seals would list the actual length and width dimensions for each sizing step.

To add to the confusion, Seals specs a 1.7 for my Pygmy Arctic Tern (17 X 33 cockpit). And that is with the rather wide plywood rim. That said, my cockpit cover is a Seals 1.7 & it fits pretty well.

Had to go back to my prior post and correct typo on the Easky coaming dimensions: it’s 34.5" x 19.5" – bottom line significantly larger than the Wisper so why does Seals spec a larger size for the Feathercraft than the Venture? Guess the best thing to do would be to order both sizes from Marshall and try them out.

Call Seals or make a pattern of combing