How do you hydrate while paddling?

Wow, lots of posts
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I’ll have to try the bladder through the skirt. I was concerned about getting tangled, but light velcro sounds like a good idea. Of course the beer cans in the hat might work nicely too. Thanks again.

-Rob

I don’t know
it just seems that a large half-full bag of water on top of the deck will slosh around more than a typical nalgene bottle that is lashed in a forward position under bungies. I think it might make more sense to keep it lower if possible.

Thru hull port
I did this last year on my wife’s CD Solstice GTS for the Yukon River Quest using J & J’s setup. It worked very well and I highly reccomend it, use the quick disconnect valves on the outside of the hull so you can discconect the hose from the hull and use one inside so you can disconnect the hose from the bladder as well. She had no issues with this setup and it works very well.

Mr Obvious here
Hydration requires either:

1 Drinking liquids, or

2. Intravenous liquids.

I prefer the former.

Jim

glad to be of help

In a n Old Town Loon…

– Last Updated: May-17-06 3:39 PM EST –

You can take a 2 liter CamelBack and slip it between the seat back and the strap that holds the back in place. just flop the cover flap over the strap and buckle up. run the tube left or right and it'll rest right there on your thigh...ready whenever you need it. Just remember to stow the tube when you stop to get out for lunch or "whatever". It'll end up in the river or whatver water you happen to be paddling. I also carry a backup Nalgene bottle as well. In the hot months, you can't carry too much water. Trust me... I learned this lesson the hard way. Dehydration is NOT fun.

Good Suggestion
I’ll try that this summer, when the lakes warm up.

I’ with BHMACIN and Northernguy
On the QCC I drilled a hole behind the cockpit to fit a rubber grommet that fits my CamelBak tube. Inside I glued tie downs so I can literally strap the bladder to the hull.

I fully agree with Greyak that NOTHING on deck except the spare, in my case a storm GP…I did have a Foretrex but thanks to the Suunto X9i that is now removed.

I learned a lesson paddling with marcinnc on the way to Bulls I got real thirsty, no time thanks to the capotis to get a drink but with the tube director the bit valve is now right at my lips…what a huge improvement!