How do you pack food for camping?

Many tortillas are made with lime juice – I think the acidity helps to preserve them.

Many breads don’t need preservatives, depending on the ingredient mix. I have had a loaf of Aldi’s L’oven Fresh cinnamon swirl bread for over 2 weeks, sitting on the counter beside the toaster, and the slices, though slightly dryer than when I opened the bag, are still mold free and quite palatable once toasted (as I just had this morning with my eggs). Reading the ingredients there are NO preservatives or chemicals, even the coloring is natural (turmeric and annatto). Since it is a sweet bread, it is less likely to mold than bread without sugars. By the way, this particular bread makes incredible French toast when dipped in egg and milk, something that is easy to do when camping.

On the other end of the spectrum, my local bakery makes wonderful sandwich buns based on stone-ground wheat berries. I have to freeze them within a day of purchase or they sprout spectacular mold.

Note that many other breads contain sodium propionate as a preservative. This is a naturally occurring salt form of propionic acid that is both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and is easily metabolized by the human body. In fact, our bodies produce the acid during metabolization of amino and fatty acids,

Anti-fungals are a good idea in breads. “Natural” molds like ergot that can grow on rye are poisonous to humans.

Sourdough bread has a good counter life. Flour, water, salt and levain (yeast). That’s all that should be in good bread.

Best to avoid any baked goods made with bleached and bromated flour. Potassium bromate is banned in most countries as it’s a carcinogen.

If the OP is looking for crackers that won’t crumble, he could make Hardtack: flour, water, and salt. Both sides in the Civil War carried it.

@Rookie said:
If the OP is looking for crackers that won’t crumble, he could make Hardtack: flour, water, and salt. Both sides in the Civil War carried it.

another name for this is ‘Pilot Buscuits’ or pilot crackers
(I used to carry on long trips)