How far back does this forum go?

If one wanted to debate which aluminum canoe was the best, alumicraft vs michicraft, grumman vs smokercraft you would do that at the put in or take out and actually talk to another human . Forums didn’t exist back then as Al Gore hadn’t yet invented the internet.

Paddling before Royalex (ABS), rotomolding, kevlar existed and debate happened between the different pundits. Now we can discuss old things like greenland paddles, pack canoes, and water safety in a whole new way, without ever having to see or paddle with each other.

Interesting observation, and since you evoked up Mister Gore into the thread…yuk, yuk, or is the proper use, considering the domain…yak, yak :slight_smile:

Think about this… a few folk on this thread already mentioned the discord found in the now deceased Bicker & Banter, might we say lots of the current attitudes, anger, and chips of folks shoulders…could be associated with this computer age and internet technologies, and even more accessible, and portable, for 24/7 access into with our phones…might be a large cause to the division of folk?

Maybe we should nix that free speech and expression stuff…and go back to letting other folk tell us what to think?

Was in Jack who said…'You (we) can’t handle the TRUTH…!!!"

Bicker and Banter isn’t “deceased.” It was just moved to a different site.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if some B&B members remain members of this community.

Back to end of ice age.

Is it boat snobbery or just a difference in experience and skill? In my experience it is the latter. Paddlers who have been around for a long time and gone through the evolution of hull design and/or developed a skill level which allowed them to tell the difference in a well designed hull vs. those designed to nestle into each other for ease of shipment, paddling be damned. I had puddle-ducked around, but got serious enough to buy my first canoe in 1970. It was a 17’ aluminum canoe. I don’t recall seeing many synthetics back then. It was aluminum or nothing. We bought it for fun and had a great time. This greatly increased our paddling time and naturally our skill level. As this happened, our focus on the canoe became more acute. We were having fun, but realized the boat was cold, stiff, heavy, very flat bottomed, and loud. But, that was aluminum. The design was limited to that which could be cut and folded out of a large aluminum sheet. What a revelation, when we saw our first Mad River Explorer in Royalex. The stems were fairer, the bottom more arched, it wasn’t as cold, loud, or heavy. It tested our skills more. After paddling one, we were hooked. Getting back in a metal hull was disappointing. Soon an explosion of Royalex boats blossomed. We gritted our teeth, sold some things and bought one. Our enjoyment of pure paddling vaulted. Then dedicated solo canoes started appearing. The skill level went up but so did the fun. Later the lightweight Kevlar boats appeared and the rest is history. So, when you hear an experienced hand tell someone, don’t put your money into a cheap big box store hull, is it snobbery or hard earned lessons? I for one do not hear snobbery, but rather good advice.

4 Likes

My answer is - whatever gets you out on the water. I would not wish my current kayak on anyone just starting off. I had a wonderful time for many years in a production boat exploring ocean, lakes, ponds, and streams. Eventually I worked my way up to more capable - but more demanding - boats. If I hadn’t started with something slow and forgiving I would not be where I am now in something fast able to take on any conditions but demanding the skills I have built up over time.

EbenGay your reply seems in conflict with the reply above yours, but I like it, makes sense to me…

A learning curve can only be achieved by experiencing it firsthand for oneself. Most pilots don’t start out in a multi-engine sophisticated commercial aircraft, no, but work they way up to that ability…

I would even venture to suggest the advice Pagayeur offers could very well put a newbie into a yak they are not ready to handle, with the result being they become overwhelmed and risk their safety.

Even a baby naturally crawls before it tries to master walking…

Keeping up with the Joneses has often led many astray in life.
Know your budget, know your limits, and enjoy the learning and living in life…