How far can you paddle in a single day?

Heard the record was broken
but not by who or what they were paddling. But I didn’t research it either… Bob Bradford was Kruger’s partner in the 01 race, wasn’t he? Back in the ‘01 race I recall that lots of folks thought the “Double Helix” kayak would give them strong competition. There certainly are kayakers who can stay comfortable and effective over those distances - but they are perhaps a little rarer than those who do that kind of distance in a canoe. The rarest of the rare…

BTW, P.net’s own Mcwood, who used to post here a lot, went to quite a few of the P.net Ozark rendezvous’, and who is probably still lurking around here occasionally, was on his support team.

When I posted I was just thinking that when the subject of how far a person can paddle in a day, Verlen Kruger is not a name to be forgotten and his ideas about what it takes to do long distances consistently are always worth considering. And its not like his and Bradford’s performance on the Mississippi were the only great feats of distance to his credit.

toure de touche?
Hey how about some more info on the three day race and Party!

Kruger + found record for 24-hour
Here is the 24-hour World Record:

Long distance kayaker, Andy Corra has officially been certified by Guinness as the official record holder for the longest distance in a canoe or kayak in a 24 hour period.

Back on June0f 2010, Andy started in Whitehorse, Yukon in Canada and paddled 434.06 km (269.71 mi) before taking a break twenty four hours later.

The former record was 261 miles. Link below to official record:

http://www.paddlinginstructor.com/general-news/guinness-agrees-that-269-miles-is-a-long-way-to-kayak-in-24-hours-marathon-paddling-4108.html

Regarding your Kruger post,

Kruger WAS Bradfords partner at age 78! Breaking his original world record he held with Valerie Fons…however that record was broken the NEXT year by Bradford and Double Helix paddler Clark Eid…They paddled a Kruger Cruiser at floodstage…eating, sleeping in the boat. I think they went the last 5 days without setting foot on land.

Here are some photos of the first race and info on the race, teams etc etc

http://rettriverrace.bms.com/pictures_boats.html

Here is the 2003 world record race link set by Bradford and Eid…2340 miles in 18 days! Some good photos of them.

http://www.mississippichallenge.org/

Interesting to note that the 2008 Yukon River Quest race from WHitehorse to Dawson city…record time for the 770 km race…(440miles)----Course Record 39:32:43 In a voyaguer canoe paddled by Martin Bernardin , Tony Bond, David Dahl, Dennis Fosseneuve, Tim Hodgson, Paul Pageau. Thats over 11mph for the course and about 220 miles for the first 20 hours!

The Texas Water Safari Race which is 262-miles …the record is 29:46

by team-Bryan Mynar, Fred Mynar, John Dunn, Jerry Cochran, Steve Landick, and Soloman Carriere (Landick as you know holds the world record WITH Verlen for the longest paddle trip in history…3 1/2 year journey that covered 28,000 miles.

The SOLO record for the TWS is Carter Johnson who paddled the 262 miles in 36:03 in 2007.

This past weekend General CLinton Race in Cooperstown NY had some speedy times too… For the 70-mile flatwater course Andy Triebold and Steve Lajoie paddled to a 7:09:22 time…at that pace/rate…they would cover 210 miles in 21 hours of paddling if they could have maintained that speed and stamina.

so much variety in paddling

– Last Updated: Jun-03-11 5:22 PM EST –

I think that's something that is hard for most here to remember as there are those on rivers, lakes and oceans just to start. Some on moving water and some on still. Some that go out to fish or float, others to explore new areas. Some that want excitement and others that want to chill.

Our local clubs generally have two main groups. Some use rec kayaks in the harbor and generally do no more than about five miles. Others do tours in the ocean and generally do something in the 8 to 15 mile range with much less common trips that are much longer -- none of these are really racers or such but they do get out pretty regular at least a few times per month. Those in the ocean generally use 17'+ boats which do make longer trips easier compared to short/wide rec boats