How far or hard is

18m in one day??
I did 40mi.on the 25th of April and 20mi. on the 26th of April and I’m 63yrs. old.

We can work up to it, just paddle on a regulated schedule, (three times a week) add miles every week. You’ll be doing marathon trips in no time.

Jack makes an excellent point
When I used to be a much more avid biker, I remember the thing that limited my miles more than anything when starting out each spring was not my fitness level, but the toughness of my butt, especially right after that first long day on the bike. Same goes for paddling. I could be more fit than I am right now, but my first long canoe trip this year made me sore in my thighs, and two trips in a row this weekend in very windy conditions seemed to have overworked my hands, and nothing else. My upper body muscles have been fine. To prepare for an activity, you need to do THAT activity. Anything else you do is just a bonus, not a substitute.

Hockey = success
First of all, if you play hockey, you can paddle 30k. That’s all that needs to be said about that. I personally would like to see a grudge match of the 1972 Canada and Russia teams paddling voyageur canoes on the Yukon River Quest. I’d even re-subscribe to cable for that event.

You might be interested in a really good book called “Conditioning for Outdoor Fitness” by Musnick et al.

Lots of good stuff in that one.

Have fun.

Well…
cdneh writes, “I do play hockey and curling weekly in the winter, downhill ski, and motorcycle on warm days.”

The only thing I can say for sure, and likely get unanimous agreement from all paddlers (a rare thing) is that 12 -18 miles in a kayak will, for certain, be more physically taxing than the same distance on a motorcycle.

And slower, too.

Agree with bruce above, torso rotation is mandatory for a long paddle.

(sorry for adding a year to your age, Kimosabe bruce).

Stop the childish warnings

– Last Updated: May-01-07 9:48 AM EST –

Come on fellows. Are you trying to talk this guy out of the trip or what. He is in better shape than most rookie paddlers and its only a 30 km paddle. Unless there are a lot of good paddlers on the trip my money is on him being in the middle of the pack at the end with a big smile on his face. The shortest trip I take beginner paddlers on is a 13.5 mile trip and they don't even know how to paddle.
I was 56 and in fair shape when I took my first trip in a kayak. And BTW it was the first time I was ever in a kayak. It was loaded with gear and food. I paddled 27 miles the first day in a 12 foot rec boat and had a 15 year old nephew in another boat with me. My butt didn't get sore until day 6 or 7. 26 days later I had paddled 486 miles and portaged 10 dams.
If you are 1/2 way fit and can't paddle 30 km then you might consider selling the boat. My bet is you can do it easier than you can read all of these warnings.
BTW I didn't rotate my body on the trip. I learned that 1400 miles later in my instructor class.

And then you woke up !
Cheers,

JackL

Curling?!
Well, forget it then…:wink:

Seriously, if you play hockey often enough then you probably have the legs thing down. Jackl makes a great point though.

Georgian bay is a great place to paddle.

Have fun!

Not really
I’ve paddled 7,000 river miles in less than 3 years. The instructor course taught me how to be a better paddler. I was doing OK but now I’m doing it correctly… I took the instructor course because I was being asked for advice and wouldn’t give it because I didn’t feel qualified.

down-“river miles” - of course. NM