How good/bad is this fiberglass canoe

Thank you, string.

Seller said: there is a scratch on one side (as seen in the photo), it is slightly dusty, and that they used it for about 10 times in total. It comes with roof foam blocks. That is all the description I have.

Does it look/sound like it is worth the driving to check it out in person?

My garage looks worse :-p

I’d already be there if I wanted a canoe. But I’m retired and like road trips .

My garage is worse too. My garage has more stuff but less on a per-square-foot basis (could be one way of saying that it is less organized). Anyway, Fat Elmo said he liked it.

Based on the photo, I’d drive a bit to have a closer look. I’d take the $350 with me.

Thank you, gents. I will check it out when we get a chance.

An old forum post from “thebob.com” quoting “Canoe magazine (1985) buyer’s guide” says:

“All Mohawk fiberglass canoes are built using multi-layer laminate of chopped & woven roving.
Select placement of layers in high wear areas.”.

https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/755883/mohawk-blazer

That sounds like a good thing.

Id go and take the $350 in fifty dollar bills. Haggle a little… Now where is it for our driving race… :smiley:
You have to understand that for a good deal canoe nuts will drive quite a ways… I drove 12 hours round trip for the last score…

I took $350 there but did not buy it.

It weights 68 lbs and is a 1993 Blazer 16 fiberglass model. Probably woven (current Mohawk person said it may be all chopper gun, though he was not sure). Rigidity is better than the no name FB boat I checked earlier for sure and 7 lbs less weight could be clearly felt.

Weight is ok for me to car top, but would love to have it at 60 lbs. I am 38 yo and 135 lbs, fit but not very athletic.

When I had the canoe on concrete floor and stood up on its inside bow section in front of the front seat, I heard a frightening cracking noise. Bottom has some scratches, though no obvious big cracks. Still, I did not feel confident about its hull integrity or durability (maybe wrongfully so, maybe that is what the design was). That was the maim reason why I passed it on, besides its asking price and weight/bulk.

Off topic: I received my 1963 Folbot Super (16’ tandem, which weights about 86 lbs) this afternoon and like its modularity. Can easily carry individual pieces. I am probably more of a folder /sectional kayaker.

All canoes will crack if stood on an unsupported section… Sorry but you shouldn’t have done that. I have done that to find out if I could kneel post surgery in my Wildfire… Horrific crack… it was the seat. the boat is fine. The seat did not crack but the normal integrity of how seat meets hull was compromised by kneeling in a boat that was not in the water.

Sorry for my mistake. I thought that part was supported, but I could be totally wrong. I did that accidentally, when I tested front seat width and leg room. There was only concrete floor nearby, so we put some cloth underneath the canoe; that was probably not enough support though. I am a terrible plastic kayaker (my plastic kayak does not crack easily, so I have not formed good habits).

When I said crack I miswrote… Its not the canoe that cracked… The cracking sound comes from fittings seats gunwales etc. against each other

You likely did nothing to the boat… Composites are often tougher than plastic save for a wrap.

In my case, it might also be canoe’s bottom rubbing against sand particles or concrete floor. I did check it inside an out right after hearing the sound, but did not see any damage.