How hard is it to tow a kayak (empty)

Jackl

– Last Updated: Jul-20-07 12:03 PM EST –

Ah'll do better. Ah'll rig one up on my Arctic Tern this afternoon after work an' take a photo of it ta send ta ye. Ah'll also scan a diagram from Bill Mason's Path Of The Paddle Book fer ya too. It's one tow rope wit a loop an' a knot looped under the hull from side ta side. Very simple, fast ta put on an' take off dat is a technique w/c canoeists use ta line or tow. Object is to have de tow point low an' not high. Check back this evening for my pics. See, us ol' wood/canvas canooist are good fer somethin' ah' guess!

FE

It changes
If I launch from a harbor, I have my tow line shortened to 18 feet. Since my towline is waist mounted, that leaves the surf boat about 10 feet behind me.

When I get to the area where there is some small surf, I lengthen the line to be 39 feet long and that gives me about 31 feet between my stern and the surf boat.

Ok, JackL. Here’s a bridle

– Last Updated: Jul-20-07 4:21 PM EST –

Wood/Canvas canoo linin'/towin' technique on a kayak.

View these 6 sequential images.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2108094010094647494mAWimc

De knot which be de tow point can be moved back or forth by shorting or lengthenin' de side lines of de "Y" for trim under tow. Hope this helps.

FE

many thanks Elmo
I got your e-mail and pics too.

Cheers,

JackL

Any time, JackL
If yer be up in de Joisey Territories sometime give me a hollar!

FE

ageeing with
the quick release. You never know whats gonna happen, and if something happens to the towed boat, you definitely want to be able to cut loose from her.

Cockpit cover suggestion from Celia was a good one. too.

I dasiy chain my tow rope (NDK Waist belt) and caribiner thru a dasiy chain link to get about a desired length if I want shorter than its 45’.

Drafting…
Drafting works quite well in kayaks. I was more than able to pace my friend in his Tsunami 175 while paddling my pudgy Dagger Blackwater 10.5. Unfortunately, my bow had to be mere inches (less than a foot) from his stern for this to work really well, which is something you wouldn’t want to do while towing.

Phreon

same here
I tow our kids (7 & 8) if they get tired paddling their kayaks. I rigged a simple 15 ft. tow rope using 1/4" poly rope, two carabiners, and a short thick bungee. I mounted a small stainless U loop thing (don’t know exactly what it’s called, but got it at a marine supply store) on the hull behind my seat. It’s easy & fast to clip and unclip, and the kids are easy to tow in their boats.

Stopped for gas there last week
Just before the New York line.

I’ll have to bring one of the canoes when I do stop by.

Cheers,

JackL