How hard +/or costly is it to replace drysuit gaskets?

I’ve realized I have “dry suit anxiety” and the money is partially an excuse.

I read a lot of YT comments (25%?) of people that just don’t like them for reasons like discomfort of something around your neck, difficulty in swimming, etc

I think for big crossings in the Puget Sound, I’d definitely be thinking high end drysuit because survival needs are more likely. For lake paddling with another person where we tend to follow the shores, maybe another combo would be optimal.

The other reservation I have that is working on my mind is that I know I can climb in in my wetsuit but the billowing fabric (and footwear) is giving me doubts. To get back in, I use my feet as paddles
to “Kip up” vs my upper body strength. I find balancing more difficult in baggy apparel in general.

I think I should rent a drysuit and try swimming and getting back in the boat. People can say what they will about what somebody else “should” do but my confidence comes from knowing I can get back in the boat. To be honest, even the PFD makes this tougher for me to balance and keep my center of gravity where I want it (the bulk)

What I wish I could do, is put my boat in the pool in the desert and just mess around for an entire weekend.

I wish I could read that Conrad book again but I gave it away. Maybe she used a Farmer Jane because it was a long journey and she was worried about ripping a drysuit and not being able to repair it?
I can’t remember!:expressionless:

I’m a fan of used high end gear (eBay etc) if you know EXACTLY what you want, so I’m with you on that.
Spending 5-600 and having it leak causing me some angst vs buying new with a warranty etc.
I’m not one to overthink things, but this is a hard decision!:nerd_face:

I think the neck seal and hose fittings would be a problem, you are right.

You can rent a drysuit from the Kayak Academy folks.
K.A. Dry Suit Rental (Reservation Request) | Kayak Academy. Call them for advice on drysuits.
Btw, a semi-drysuit might be suitable, has a soft neoprene neck seal instead of a latex. Not as tight nor as good a seal - has limitations, imo latex seal necessary for cold water and rolling sessions.

4 Likes

Or I as I was corrected to say “Central Europe” :v:
I am fixated on this topic until I get sorted out for winter.
I’m the last person to judge anybody for buying Chinese goods because we all know how tough it is but my Kokatat PFD says it is made in China and the Hiko is made in Prague.
What would really sell me is having dry feet after the launch. (and the price is about half as much)

Kokatat dry suits are made in USA. Kokatat PFD production in USA stopped about 12-14 years ago sadly. My first Kokatat PFD was made in USA .

1 Like