How many o' ye test yer lifevests?

I assume this is a serious question …

– Last Updated: Jun-21-10 4:30 PM EST –

... and not a joke.

In that context, I find FE's experiment to be interesting, surprising and concerning. It is concerning to me because I always wear my hybrid PFD -- any climate, any water -- and, no, I don't regularly test the PFD.

Buoyancy in water is a direct function of an object's density. The floating "object" in FE's experiments was the PFD+him. Restating FE's two theories as to why he doesn't float as high as he used to, it could be because he has become more dense or because the PFD(s) have become more dense. One can imagine the latter happening if the PFD foam shrinks or is crushed. Indeed, the only Google references I found for closed cell foam PFD's losing buoyancy was in warnings not to sit on or crush them.

However, there is a third explanatory possibility -- namely, that FE's experimental measurement is incorrect; that his subjective memory of past buoyancy is not objectively true.

I suggest a different experiment to FE. Get new models of the same PFD's, if the exact models are still available, and test the new models against the old. Eliminating your body, and using weights and a scale, would increase objective accuracy. Objective data on PFD buoyancy loss would be very valuable safety data to the boating world.

Campmor has a generous return policy.

I test my PFD at roughly the same rate

… as I test my brace. Go figure!

Tested the kid’s PFD today
It still floated me, though I could feel a difference from the adult PFD.

interesting test
I took a ww pfd sized for small adults and removed half the floatation in the chest then stitched it up neatly from the inside (yeah, I broke the law).

Floats me fine. My favorite pfd for rolling practice and balance brace. Other vests are too buoyant & “puffy”.

testing depends

– Last Updated: Jun-21-10 7:09 PM EST –

whether I'm near a river or not.3 paddles without a swim is as long as I care to go, although some rivers have me making sure my brace is solid, and my play is in control. Last swim was yesterday while recovering a stuck paddle (yeah a paddle, not a pole) at a place Eckilson knows quite well, Roostertail. The paddle was stuck by a new friend, a grasshopper in the art of open boat playtime, in the hole below the one spawn Aaron is surfing here
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2208469840094366337JnKCYG
I know this hole very well, and knew at this level a sidesurf would get me close to the paddle. I got close enough to hook the paddle with my t-grip, pulled it into my hand.....and tested my PFD.
A little advice to the newbies.
When testing your PFD inadvertantly, upon re-arrival with the atmosphere, yell "woo-hoo" as loud as you can (as long as you're not choking on water), do the "devils horn" sign pioneered by Ronny James Dio
http://www.closetohomemusic.com/images/ronnie_james_dio_ufe2.bmp

and loudly proclaim " I meant to do that!"

Out of 6 of us yesterday, 4 swam, most multiple times. Great darn day,one Eckilson would have loved.Aaron didn't flip but joined me and Als son John in swimming the rapids, pfd's, helmets and water shoes on as well. Good practice, "just in case".

Too funny!

– Last Updated: Jun-21-10 9:02 PM EST –

Regardless what the label says, if it floats ya, it floats ya! Agree that the shorter PFDs are unnecessarily thick. It galls me that there is not an in-between size, just "50-90 lbs" kid size and "adults." Or how about that good ol' "XS to M" size?

I wish they'd do more increments, like XS, S, M, L, and so forth. Not XS/S, or S/M.

After I did my usual no-PFD rolling and balance brace practice, I put on the PFD to compare. It didn't make a difference in what happened, other than that I could (annoyingly) feel the extra thickness in my back. But everything still worked as usual. Really, making shoulders square on the water and keeping head tilted/back arched make a much bigger difference in what happens. Which is nice to know. I did the test in my WW boat. Will do the same in the Explorer LV. I expect the same results.

many times throughout summer
and occasionally during winter months…

but, i practice self-rescues all summer long…

and, when pushing the limits to get better on whitewater, i find i do swim a bit…

and, in winter, when i test my drysuit i also test my pfd’s - just about each time i go out…

so, i don’t actually just test the pfd’s, but i do know they work from the other factors…

wow
Testing: We take swim breaks in warm weather. Try to limit the unplanned swims in cold weather.

Wearing: Since we started paddling in 2003 we have always worn our pfds. On every paddle. We would feel ‘nekked’ without them.

Races: Doesn’t matter what the rules say, we wear our pfds.

Chaffing, heat etc: I often wear my vest loose fitting. It only takes a couple of tugs to tighten it up if I find myself in the water.

We bought Lotus vests in 2004. Though they have faded a bit from use these vests are still going strong. If we bought new vests it would only be to upgrade to ones with pockets. (Or to one that opens and doesn’t have to be put on over your head like ours does.)

Wearing a vest has never been a question for us. It is as natural as our paddles, paddling shoes, swim shorts, shirt, hat and sunglasses.

one size does not fit all
nor do sizes S/M M/L and XL!

Sigh, I’d almost buy & wear a kid’s vest 'cept they usually have no features we adult kids want - last tabs, pockets, reflective tape…and they tend to come in bright colors (not my thing 'specially).

I’m naturally buoyant, have been all my life. Can float on my back for an endless time, even w. arms crossed and carrying on a convo - with only an occasional fresh partial breath, just like being on land.

Also tried balance brace - my second try ever, on my own - sans pfd an it worked out fine. As for rolling, I can “fold” my body forwards much tighter for the C to C without the thickness of the vest - one reason my “custom” Palm PFD is so good for both.

I realize that testing new pfds & getting them approved by USCG & sometimes TransCanada is an expensive process. So, don’t look for any size revolutions soon.

Unfortoonately…

– Last Updated: Jun-22-10 9:41 AM EST –

Ta reespond ta de excellent soogestoon fro' Mr. MacGrady ... dem old vests ah' have ain't made anymore. De ribbed one (a Delta) dat ah' foyst mentioned be over 20 years old, anudder ol' Stearns be an at least 25 years. No way ta compare anymore. At de time ah' originally bought dem ol' vests they did float me reasonably well.

Funny... ah' looked at de Delta a couple days later an' notice dat waan ah' squeezed de ribbed foam flotation through a slightly ripped seam it waar completely saturated wit water - looked like open cell foam.

Anywho... Me problem is dat ah' anyways had "heavy fat" even waan ah' wuz Skinny Elmo. As soon as ah' stop vigorous doggie paddlin' or pathetically bad swimmin' ah' purty much sink ta de bottom like a can o' petroofried Spam. Dats why ah's be such a lousy swimmer (but proobably would make fer a good Mark V diver) - far too much expended effort needed jus' ta keep me afloat - de reason ah' always waar me lifevest. Reckon' maybe sponsoons would hep? ;>)

Me ol' Stohlquist Max an' B27/High Float aar still goin' strong.

Wat it beryls down ta is... ah' really do need a high float vest.

Alas, ye folks dat naturally float aar lucky.

FE

drysuit
If you are wearing your drysuit and PFD simultaneously, you probably aren’t testing your PFD’s flotation.

Even if you “burp” the suit very thoroughly you will still have a considerable volume of air trapped within it.

Stohlquist kid’s PFD
This one has a good-size pocket with Velcro flap and reflective tape on the front of the shoulders. One color: pure red. $50. It’s short enough I can lie down on the back deck, though obviously now there is something between my back and deck. Still OK for a layback roll.

Why I wear my lifejacket
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=939805

Mine has been getting tested
a lot this year.

Satan’s Kingdom and Roster Tail…
swam there many times. Once things slow down at work, I’m going to take an afternoon off and join you for one of your Wednesday (or is it Thursday) evening paddles. I’ll bring my C1 and we’ll see if I can beat my old record of 6 swims in 3 hours. Now that Jeff-B has a C1, we’ll get him to come along as well. Hard to believe that this was Aaron 2 years ago:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2957734120075003331BnzOMW

he practices duffeks

– Last Updated: Jun-22-10 8:14 PM EST –

above that ledge know. Cripe, I can't even get my hand behind my head, and he does it with a paddle in a hole. Kids these days...sheesh

No set day this year, been mountain biking a lot as well. Thursday this week though.

Ultraviolet radiation on PFD
A couple years of UV damage adds up on a vest.

There may come a point in time when sun faded fabric rips

Must be the style
I’ve always tested my pfds. I gave up on an Extrasport that while would technically float me, I couldn’t keep from riding up unless it was so tight my upper torso was turning purple. Kokatat Ronin solved that.

Why would anyone leave a piece of life saving equipment untested? The PFD gets tested. The drysuit gets tested. Even one’s skills should be tested.

I wonder if any of you who keep your PFD on the deck or wear it loose have actually tried to don and/or properly fit one in the water.

Doug

Gots de same prooblem wit…
Astral lifevests. Great company an’ pfd’s but none o’ dem fit me well - an’ ah’ tried dem all. Feels like a inner tube around me gizzard. Jus’ not fer me.

Me ol’ Stohlquist Max fits me de best of any ah’s ever worn, too bad dem’s aar no longer made. Should o’ bought a couple more years ago.

FE

rescues too
a loosefitting PFD keeps bobbing up in the wearer’s face, a hindrance when swimming or getting back in the boat.

if the shoulder straps are too slack, a rescuer will pull on them experience “the bungee effect”. Hard to get a good grip on the Scoop or Hand of God rescues.