How many Sawyer models you paddled?

Summersong - AHHHHHH
Those L-shaped aluminum dealy-hoos were added by the original owner. I think he used them to fasten the boat to his roof rack system. I removed the ones that came on the Summersong I purchased from Shane.

As far as use, I set the front seat adjustment to its lowest position and set the rear one to its highest position. I used radiator hose automotive clamps behind the seat to keep the seat from sliding back any further than I want it. I hated the seat moving back further than I wanted it…

I kneel in the boat. I use automotive mats under my knees and feet. I replaced the weak bungies with stronger ones to keep the peddles for the rudder in a neutral position. I keep the rudder up most of the time, but when I tire of kneeling, I drop the rudder.

I’m a hit-and-switch paddler, so I keep the rudder up most of the time and stay in the kneeling position, which gives me more control and stability. When I am sitting, I don’t feel as comfortable with the stability, which is why I keep the rudder down, I think…

More later. Love my boat. Yes, yours is heavy…

Glenn

Confused!
I’m way confused here. I have an '83 Summersong, but no rudder, and it’s hard to imagine this boat needing one. Was the rudder a factory thing or was it added at some time later? Mine tracks like a locomotive; is the rudder used for turning?

Also, mine has no flotation tanks, just what looks like Ethafoam 2x4’s glued up just under the gunwales. Was that how they came from the factory, or was that added (I’ve only had mine a year)?

Inquiring minds want to know…

Pete in Atlanta

I think my rudder was added by original
owner, but I’m not sure. They used it for tripping in the BWCA. My '83 Summersong has factory flotation tanks. I just got the boat yesterday, but I have been using the rudder to assist with turning. I like it so far.

David

wildwater, you owe me $200 in paddling

– Last Updated: May-31-05 1:02 PM EST –

lessons or something of equal value (a tour around your favorite haunts in Michiana?), because Shane took your advice to raise the price of the Summersong I bought by $200. Of course, you didn't tell him his prices were too low until after you'd paid for yours. You sly dog. Shane made a tidy profit, I'm sure, because he bought them from the widow of the original owner after her husband died and she probably asked less than the original price they paid 22 years ago. More power to Shane. We all look for deals like that.

How did you raise the back of your seat to the highest position? My rudder lines run through the top holes of the seat adjustment. I hadn't thought of kneeling in this boat yet. It feels very stable to me sitting with the seat in the lowest position. At least as stable as my MR Slipper with it's hight seat position. I'll have to recheck that.

I hope to paddle our Summersongs together sometime. You can help me carry mine.

I started another thread titled "How do you use your Sawyer Summersong" to learn more about this boat. I hope to get some good postings there.

David

To Answer the Rudder Question
The rudders on Shane’s two Summersongs were installed by the original owner.

No, they are NOT for turning. Rather, they make it easy to hold course if you want to take, say, ten or so paddle strokes on one side of the canoe while in a “sitting” position.

Actually, I think the primary reason the original owner installed these very nice rudder systems was to help when the wind blows. Some p.net posters have said the Summersong gets blown around a bit in strong winds…

Again, I prefer a kneeling position. I reach well forward when I want to move fast, using powerful forward strokes, perhaps five on each side. Yes, tracks like a train…

From a kneeling position, to turn, use your knee for lift on the side you wish to turn. I keep my upper body straight, but shift my lower body to lift the side of the bow in the direction I want to turn. It is a common kayaking technique - many call it a “knee” turn because kayakers are in a sitting position, so they lift their knee on the side of cockpit, lifting the bow of the kayak on that side. These boats turn OPPOSITE of how a NASCAR racer goes around the track…

Glenn

sawyers paddled
summersong; i’m way overweight and i carry a boatload of gear. i love it although it took some getting comfortable with its stability. handling in a high wind boundary waters trip was excellent. did wrap it around a rock on the niobara river in nebraska. took it into the old plant in oscoda to repair the gunnel trim. while they repaired it, i rented an autumn mist and ran it from grayling to oscoda. it too is a great boat. looks like superior in portland michigan has the license now. good to see them back. i’ve had my summersong for almost 30 years – still going strong

Talk about a trip down memory lane! I was trying to remember the name of the Sawyer Shockwave, searched Google, and up pops this old thread with some old, familiar paddling friends, one whom is no longer with us. Since that thread I’ve become enamored with a couple Sawyer boats, the Autumn Mist and the Shockwave. Indeed, a Sawyer Solo 13 is one of the 3 canoes my wife and I have left. Too bad Mick and friends couldn’t resurrect Sawyer from the ashes nor could Superior Canoes. I just hope someone gets those old molds out and produces them once again. And “Mick,” William Wood, I’ve lost your phone number and address old friend, but I think of you often. I hope you and Sandy are well!

Some old familiar names here. I have a Summersong and it suits my paddling style, straight ahead and at speed.

Wish I still had this Autumn Mist. Thought I’d eventually “Upgrade” to a kevlar model, but…