How Much Are You Willing to ......

I’ve played "ice-breaker"
in the Loon on occasion. Fished sub freezing temps in order to hunt trophy smallies, swishing the rod around in the water to melt the ice out of the guides. Have also endured 100 degree+ days on the Doah and the New in order to catch mid-summer smallies as well.

But I’m like you, for some reason, sitiing in a deer stand, freezing my butt off waiting for a deer to come wandering by does NOT sound like a lot of fun to me. But enduring numb fingers, the occasional damp feet and butt, in the water, wind, and occsionally snow in pursuit of trophy smallmouth in a Kayak is okay…

Go figure…

Caught fish, but not all the time
Yeah, icefishing had it’s rewards, but like all fishing, it could be a hit or miss affair. Without the luxury of an ice house ala “Grumpy Old Men”, it didn’t take long to decide that the nearest pub was where one really wanted to be, LOL. Nowadays all I’m willing to tolerate is breaking a thin skim of ice on my favorite trout stream and some freezing of the guides on my fly rod. Fortunately, we don’t have to do too much of that here in western NC.

River Rat
I notice you go to the New. Without giving away anything, are you close to that part of Virginia. I live in western NC. I’ve canoed that part of the New from West Jefferson, NC to just shy of the Virginia line, but never fished it.

BigBruce…
Most of my New River time is spent from below Claytor Dam to the West VA line and From Hinton, West VA to the Gorge. Haven’t spent a lot of time upriver of Claytor in VA, but I sure would like to. THIS year may be the year however. I know a couple of folks down in that area who’ve been bugging me to come down and fish that section of the New. I’ll let ya know how that goes if I get down there.

Ice breaker!
I remember doing that with MikeSawyer’s Axess. That was a blast. I Yakbow and Bassmanpete getting all ticked at me for making so much noise and you thinking I was going to die, but screw it. The fish weren’t biting. I was going to have some fun. I think I got that boat all the way up on the ice in the tributary creeks a few times before getting it to break. That was a blast. We should be crazier than we are.

• Big D

Fish it!!
The river is fecund and full of structure. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t fish the New. It’s my favorite river to fish (aside from whatever one I happen to be on at the time, and I’d go back to the Colorado in a heartbeat if I could).

• Big D

“Working” is a point of view
You mention you prefer to ‘work with’ Mother Nature, which is great. Do you know that fishing improves suddenly and dramatically shortly before a low pressure weather event? As the wind picks up and the clouds start boiling, the fishing is likely to be awesome! Bluebird bright skies on a steady high barometer, and the fishing will stink (though it is likely to be a pleasant day on the water).

So, your goal will drive what ‘working with’ Mother Nature means. If your goal is a nice day on the water, the likelihood is that you’re not going to catch fish as well as you would in an overcast drizzle with the wind blowing up. If your goal is to catch fish, then you may go out on that bluebird sky day, but you’re going to work harder for every fish caught.

Like everything else, what’s easier and what’s harder is a matter of perspective.

• Big D

It’s a wonder
we haven’t been ‘commited’ long before this D, at the very least submitted for a psychiatric evaluation by our wives.

I don’t know…
I think we’re pretty tame. I know I am, and you’re as careful as I am when actually on the water. Probably moreso.

So, you into trying breaking out one of those Loons and doing some creeking with Spiderman and I this Spring? We’re looking at some small water in Maryland. Come along and have some fun. Risk some hypothermia. Spiderman’s a he-man. Nothing really bad could happen while he’s along. Most of the ice has melted by the time we run. The worst that will happen is that you may wind up with DaggerDave type miles and bad case of TB* (Spiderman seems to think 13 miles is a short whitewater trip), but you’ll live to tell the tale.

• Big D

• TB = Tired Butt

River Rat
As for the upper New, there is a 20 or 30 mile stretch along the VA - NC line that can be fished with a license from either state under reciprocal agreement. My research seems to indicate that the section between US 21 and US 58 is very floatable with no significant rapids to be negotiated, and excellent smallie fishing.

I’d be very interested in putting something together for after the water warms up later on.

Depends…
I never seem to get out fishing as much as I want. I’m more of a communal guy when it comes to going fishing and I can’t seem to get anyone to go with me. Didn’t even go last year.

I don’t sit up in tree stands when I hunt but I’ll go out in anything but rain and heavy wind. Deer don’t want to move too well in either. I’ve been out on some darn cold days but its all in how you dress. Don’t get cold anymore after buying the right gear.

Sure hope I can drag some folks out fishing this year. I miss it.

Reach out to me.
I’d be happy to fish with you again. I truly enjoyed the day we spent on the Shenandoah.

I shouldn’t speak for ShenandoahRiverRat, but he’s pretty easy to convince to get on the water too.

• Big D

…now a softie, but…
Hey…wayyy late BUT…

Used to be a certified trout addict;-) You know, exploring some hidden headwaters, like I did with my grandfather…~35-40yrs ago, or trying a stream/river that I haven’t fished in decades…are just about the ONLY circumstances that’ll get a flyrod in my hand these days…but I’m an explorer/hunter of both steep-snow, gnarly creeks(for OC1 fun), and hidden treasures where trout lurk…aside from hiking the unexplored. Mostly in northern New England, Maine most of all…but the state never went in for browns and rainbows…BIG mistake imho.

$.01

Country Boy, BigBruce, and Big D…
You guys contact me ANYtime about fishing and I’ll do my upmost to be there. D…I know you and Spiderman have already run that one piece of ‘small water’ you mentioned. But you do it again and I just might be game to go.

And you guys know I’m always ready to go where the 'Doah is concerned.

Full disclosure though…the next 2 weeks and most all of April is spoken for, with 2 trips already in the works and a wedding (family friends) to help put together.

River Rat
Thanks for the invite. I most likely won’t be ready for smallies until after I come back from the Adirondacks in June. In the meantime, trout is most definitely on the menu, along with making up more smallie flies. What flies or baits do you guys like…I love fly fishing, but I’m not snobbish about it. Rumor has it I’ve been seen tossing hardware, or even drowning bait, LOL.

Grubbie
"Adversity becomes adventure upon fond rememberance" (not sure if that was Grubbie or not D)

Yes, it was one of his tips on fishing and life.