How often do you use bow/stern lines?

NO they DON’T. They in fact try and get out of paying when ever possible. Don’t be so naive.

1 Like

Maybe I’ve been very lucky but I’ve always had insurance that paid my liability even when I’ve done something incredibly stupid (turn in front of someone, failed to leave enough distance to the car in front, pulled too close to the side of the garage, etc.) They’ve raised my rates and told me they wouldn’t renew but anything short of a deliberate attempt to cause damage has been paid if liable.

Liability is probably going to be paid in all but the rarest of situations. Paying for your loss is where they can try and get cheap.
Personally I don’t see a bow or stern line being a real issue for insurance though. You’re rates may change after any sort of accident though.

Celia - Bingo! Yes, it’s all about redundancy. And yes, with long boats, the torque that can be applied by the wind at highway speeds can rip the cradles right off the crossbars. I don’t use cradles; I use three straps to secure the kayaks to the crossbars and I also use bow lines that run to both sides of the hood. Like you, I see no value in stern lines.

I’ve been tying boats to cars since the early 1970’s and haven’t come close to losing one yet. We also drove cross-country with our kayaks when we moved from Virginia to Washington State 3 years ago. They didn’t budge.

DIY Under-Hood Attachments

2 Likes

I recently installed these on my flex for the same purpose

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0772V94MC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sYZNFb420N3CJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you use these hood anchors? I bought some, but I feel like they lift up on my hood, so I stopped using them. It’s a tight fit to close the hood on these, which I suppose is the point. Just curious if these can have a negative impact on your hood.

I really wanted to try these, but I don’t have an accessible bolt. I took my car to a body shop to ask about using the bolt that is there, but the guy told me it’s a pain in the butt to get to the nut underneath.

I use a quick loop under the hood of my Honda Fit. I have a tow bolt in the rear. Have been using the hood loop for four years. It holds the bow line well and not a mark on the paint.

1 Like

Always. My boats are on my Silverado

17 footer, always. Two straps and bow and stern lines.

15 footer, two straps and a stern line. The 15 footer sort of wedges in the bed so a bow line isn’t needed.

For the extra two minutes or so to tie the lines, to me anyway, it is worth the piece of mind.

if they are pulling up on your hood, you are pulling the lines too tight, IMO

3 Likes

I agree. With some vehicles the sheetmetal gaps are small and the commercial anchors are too thick. If there is resistance to closing your hood that has nothing to do with the tension in your bow lines. I use loops of kevlar pulling tape since they are strong and easily fit in the sheetmetal gaps. You might just use loops of strong/thin cord or rope.

I don’t know what your car is like. On mine, the bolt on the passenger side was the crux - but after a while, I figured it out. But on my car, I could also have just drilled a new hole on either side and used that. It’s a common strategy, and I know it’s worked for a lot of folks, but it may not work with your car.

Have had a rope tied around a frame part for bow lines thru several cars and a lot of years. Between Jim and I with two cars between to now with just me that includes two Taurus/Sable station wagons, 1 Subaru Outback and three Totota RAv4’s.

Zero impact on pant or doing something nasty to the hood.

1 Like

Fully agree with this. Most nylon straps have a tensile strength of over 1,000 pounds and don’t stretch. They only need to be snug. The shape of most boats and saddle designs will prevent shifting. Over tightening can increase the chances of oil canning in plastic boats, damaging the gel coat in fiberglass and Kevlar boats, and may even damage the hull in carbon fiber boats.

Bow and stern lines are primarily for safety for your boat and others on the road. They are not meant to be the primary means of securing your boat. They also comply with most rack manufacturer’s warranty requirements.

2 Likes

I always use them.

It’s not about the boat, it’s that a boat flying off could cause a death and it would be my fault and would be avoided handily if I had the bow/stern lines on as a safety net if the rack failed.

The cost of a new boat will be irrelevant when the civil suit hits you.

1 Like

I always tie the bow and stern down.

I use these to give me tie off points.

And 4 of these to actually tie with.

So a person is drinking and gets in an accident the insurance company walks away? No they pay. They insured to you and took the risk involved.

Like a wedding for better or for worse they married you when they gave you a policy. They may leave you high and dry they’ll have to pay anyone who suffered a loss from your actions.

My vehicle with kayak (s) goes from driveway to curb no further.

Always use bow and stern lines to secure boats on the roof, unless you are just going down the street.
I have never had an SUV with a roof rack, so I have always used rope and a trucker’s hitch for 40 years.
I have had a heavy OT cedar and canvas canoe and have used a trailer for the last 20 years or so.