How to get dent out of rotomold 'yak

dent in rotomold
By now the dent may have “popped” back out which is usually the case. The heat gun/hair dryer can work but be very careful not to push the temperature too much. Another way is the hot/boiling water method - I had a severe dent in the bow of a rotomold caused by the boat’s weight pushing against a bolt or other protrusion that turned the bow into a pig’s snout! I used several gallons of boiling water to soften the area and then used a broom stick to encourage the bow back into shape (pushing from the inside). The trick with boiling water is to use several layers of a towel laid over the area and pour the hot water over the towel, not directly onto the boat…It softened the plastic more uniformly (took a LONG time) but the result was showroom quality.

dent
I traded an old canoe for an RTM Tango kayak. They brought it to me strapped tightly down on top of a car in the FL sun. After they left I noticed that the bottom seemed to be dented in. At this point I wasn’t a happy camper. I figured I’d leave it dent up in the sun for a while and see if I could work it out. Figured I should take the drain plug out to let it breath. As soon as I did, there was a loud whoosh of either escaping air or air going in. Figured I had just destroyed my new toy. When I looked at the dent, it was gone. I guess equalizing the pressure took care of it. I now store/transport it with the drain plug open, and only insert it when I’m in the water.

I think you used my idea

…and won’t admit it but I’ll certainly be a man of my word and pay up in Raystown.

…unless you send me your address and I’ll send them FedEx.

Paddlin’ on

G_K

Insert it in the water.

Now that’s a line to remember.

Paddlin’ on

G_K

Thanks, no need, GK
All you owe me is a friendly hello when we meet at R-Town. :slight_smile: