How to Minimizing the Aches and Pains of Flatwater Paddling

Pack canoes are where it’s at. My wife recently bought a 13lb wee lassie. You can lift it with two fingers and there is plenty of room for a day trip

as a primarily whitewater canoeist when I paddled, I found a smaller blade helped with the elbow issues. I’m sure that would help on flatwater, and thinking a shorter kayak paddle would yield the same results.

Comfort has definitely become a larger priority as I’ve gotten older. Kneeling in aluminum canoes, paddling ww c1s were part of my distant past. In the c1 I used to climb out and sit on the back deck (stretch the legs out). I paddled most of the Middle Fork of the Salmon that way and all the pools on the New River (WV) at one time or another. I even glued a piece of ensolite pad so I had better traction on the back deck- making it a sit-on-top canoe of sorts. My way of dealing with flatwater.

I seem to specialize in suffering needlessly- short ww kayaks on flat water. That’s my own version of a rec boat. Concur about having good form/rotation. When I get tired I actually focus more, not less, on form and try to extend with straighter elbows and then I go into backwards paddling to use a whole different set of muscles , and then I slouch real low and real far back, even bring the knees up and do some very low angle paddling just so I can stretch out a bit but that goes by the wayside pretty quick. So I repeat- form, backwards, slouching and keep doing all that till I get to the take-out. If there is any current then it is always good to stay in it. Keep the bow headed downstream with as little energy as possible.

Eddy turns, peelouts, surfing are nonexistent. The mind wanders to a cold beer at the take out, or a cheeseburger, or the thought of dry shoes, or how badly I need to pee but it’s only another mile or two to the takeout. When I’m done life is good after a couple of pbrs, a good meal, and dry clothes/shoes. . “Ibeenboatin’” is my pill of choice the next morning when I’m stiff from paddling the day before but headed out again. I found staying hydrated makes recovery much faster and leads to less fatigue.

1 Like

I didn’t know PBR were still around. It was the beer of choice my college sophomore year, '68.

1 Like

Can’t believe there wasn’t at least a mention of using/trying a Greenland paddle to reduce shoulder strain.

1 Like

Bought a bent shaft paddle in hopes it would help with tendon pain in my arms and elbows and happy to report it makes a huge difference.

Rookie: Thanks for these additional tips.

1 Like

Kordate: Thanks for the additional suggestions.
Regardless of the stroke used, people who have a short torso and a wide recreational kayak (more than 27" or 69 cm), will probably find that raising the seat bottom or adding a 1-2" cushion adds comfort and power to their forward stroke. To test this in dry and flat conditions, try add an old bed pillow. But unlike Kordate, I am not offering a money back guarantee.

SLJ: Hummmm: I started padding in a canoe and perhaps my final years of paddling will be in a canoe. That would be like the natural order before the next transition: “ashes to ashes.” I had not considered progressing to a canoe and that might boost my comfort. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lots of good comments/reminders on this thread. Nice to see all the wisdom gained by experienced paddlers.

Paddler573545: Agreed, it should have been mentioned. Thanks for mentioning it.

Glad you found them helpful. One reason I contest the comment that one should exercise in the off-months is because muscle mass begins to decline after age 40. A major contributor to that is lack of consistent daily exercise, including strength training.

While most serious paddlers likely don’t live sedentary lifestyles, it’s uncontested that folks need to get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity each week to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Staying healthy, pain free, and independent is a better alternative to paddling the duck pond at the assisted living complex. :canoe:

3 Likes

Totally agree that a year round fitness routine is best. But there’s nothing wrong with a freestyle canoe and a duck pond.

1 Like

Part of OLD age is state of mind. Recognize limitations but keep on keeping on by adjusting to new levels of capability…or incapability. People who give up , rust up early.

4 Likes

Some good ideas here, a few additions from someone who trains for racing.

First, blade size, in general the smaller the better, most paddlers use too large a blade. Going to a smaller blade keeps my elbows and shoulders from taking the brunt and I can use my legs and torso more.

Second, strengthen the core which should be your prime mover when paddling, not your arms and support your back.

Third, flexibility work will help you staying in the paddling position for two or more hours aat a time, I do yoga for this especially for my hamstrings and hip flexors.

– Andrew

1 Like

100% in agreement. Two examples. Last summer, out with two friends, a bit of lessons, reading the water, Canadian stroke vs, J, vs Gooney, and the, of course, allow them to put that into practice. I did not have a beer, but I did have a cold drink, a spare PFD to lay my head on, (20 foot canoe, lotsa room) Off I went to dreamland. The best. Let someone else do the heavy lifting. The other, very similar, taught a young scout. even found the perfect little twig over the water and plucked his hat right off. One hour later, he is in command, I am sitting facing aft, and the little rat fink plucked my hat off !! The effrontery, the gall, the chutzpah, I signed his card and passed him immediately. Good job.

Paddler573545: Agreed. Greenland paddles will be mentioned if there is a revised edition of the article.

Great article but it needs to address the differences in paddle blades and paddle stroke. Someone who has a low angle stroke but uses a high angle paddle or vice versa will undoubtedly end up with some shoulder trauma. It is highly under-prioritized the importance of using the right paddle for your stroke.

Wear supports for body parts you have trouble with. I like neoprene. Change sides, change cadence and change paddles. Kneel for awhile. Drift for awhile. Take a day off and layover in a good camp spot.

I am a 78 year old male who single blades a canoe. At the end of last season I had shoulder pain that was keeping me awake at night. After the winter break that is gone. I take this as an ominous sign that my paddling may need to be curtailed.

I live on a small pond and paddle for at least 30 minutes every day that the weather allows. Last year I was including 50 strokes in reverse in my daily routine thinking that it would work a different set of muscles. I am going to skip that this year and see if that helps. Other than that all I can think of is to stick with light paddles, smaller blades and straighter elbows.

There comes a time when you simply have to cut back. In anticipation of that I did shoot some paddling videos and have put them aside so that when all I can do is sit up in bed and sip tea I can play them on an endless loop and grin like an idiot.

Peter

2 Likes