How to stop theft of 2 piece paddles

Will that “comprehensive” insurance
restore the lost weekend or vacation paddling that disappeared with my paddles?

Insurance doesn’t prevent loss. I have things in my house, and sometimes in my car, that can’t be replaced by insurance. Losing a boat or a paddle to theft while on a paddling trip is not something where insurance can truly mitigate the loss.

I’ve always had comprehensive on my cars and my home. In the time span since 1968 when we married, we have had no thefts from our vehicles, and one blitzkrieg home burglary. I wouldn’t want to argue that insurance has paid for itself, but it has helped others in our insurance pool.

Better than nothing

– Last Updated: Mar-16-14 6:25 PM EST –

This looks like a misplaced reply to what I said about your bike-cable suggestion above, so I'll comment.

Bike cables are generally quite thick and have large loops on the ends, so yeah, you'd have to drill an enormous hole if you wanted to thread the cable through the hole instead of just the shackle of a padlock. These cables you list here would fit through a very small hole, and would be enough to stop a grab-and-go thief who's taking an easy opportunity as he walks by. It wouldn't stop anyone who has time to walk over to their own car and get a pair of pliers. It only takes about ten or twenty seconds to break a 1/16th-inch steel cable with a pair of pliers, and if one happens to have two pair, the job takes hardly any effort at all (I mention pliers as an example because one doesn't need to be a thief to have them handy. An ordinary pair of wire cutters would cut such a cable even quicker, but that's something that the average person is a lot less likely to have with them).

Name and phone number on them?
Using waterproof magic marker. It might make them less attractive to steal than unmarked ones.

Not on Wranglers
At least, not on the 2000 model I used to own. I bought an aftermarket hood lock for it, though I rarely used it. It’s similar to padlocking the hood.