how to turn around in river?

interesting

– Last Updated: Jul-29-12 12:51 AM EST –

He is in the center, on the floor of the yak in front of me. I have an inflatable bow bag in the front. But that's a thought for sure. So glad I posted here! Learning so much. And you guys are being pretty nice to the newbie who did a stupid thing....and I need to find out what "ferrying" means? I guess I better look at all the links when I get a chance.

tether to a boat
Most people achieve that by tethering their paddle to the boat.

Granted, that requires you hanging onto the paddle. A habit you need to train yourself into, not hard to do at all. Most people do end up with paddle still in their hand even after a panic capsize.

That way, you can simply let go the paddle, as well as the boat, if circumstance requires.

paddle

– Last Updated: Jul-29-12 11:08 PM EST –

Wow....yes I have a paddle leash. Honestly everything happened so fast I can't even remember if I held onto the paddle or not! The paddle leash is longer than the dog leash. Makes sense, though. I know I have so much to learn, even to go out on the salt water. Sounds like what I don't know could fill a small lake!
;-)

Foam float versus

– Last Updated: Jul-30-12 9:31 AM EST –

I have both. Foam floats are better in very cold weather because you don't have to blow them up, faster to mount hence faster out of the water. In regular weather some of that advantage fades and they are just frigging big.

It does not sound like you have had learned or practiced on-water re-entries, else you would have likely developed an opinion between the two. I am not convinced that you'll have much success with the Pungo even on lakes if you are trying to get a Pungo flipped back upright and you and the dog back in, but I'd highly recommend a step before investing in a paddle float. If you get a better sense of how they work and what their limits are for you, it might save you buying the wrong one. For example, a foam float will not be the easiest thing to anchor securely in a Pungo due to its limited rigging - an inflatable can be tucked behind the seat. It is amazing how much comes lose from a boat once it is upside down.

Get a hold of someone to run you through this, maybe in a transition boat with helpful rigging etc, then go home and try the same in the Pungo. Just you first. If you can't get yourself back in and the situation under control, the dog is at risk even on a flat lake.

For what you are trying to do in the river, you simply need a more suited boat, some skills and to leave the dog at home. This is what happens with people when they get their first boat - they get into it and try more. The problem is that a boat like the Pungo doesn't have a lot more it can do with you - it is a rec boat that is very good within its limits but finds those limits pretty fast when the water gets bumpy.

Lean into the turn…
just like riding a bike. If the bow is pointed upstream, that means a downstream lean into the turn (often called a peal-out). If the bow is pointed downstream, that means an upstream lean into the turn (often called an eddy turn). It will make sense once you try it - it’s just like riding a bike.

If you hit an obstruction in moving water you ALWAYS lean downstream, but not necessarily when making turns.

Not a paddle leash in moving water
Generally recommended not to use a paddle leash in moving water, especially those telephone cord things that can really stretch (and are very noisy). It is a huge risk of entanglement, in your case doubled because you had the dog with you. Two things it could get wrapped around.

In moving water, you just have to learn to hang onto your paddle and your boat. In flat water you still should.

I like the paddle leashes that go around the wrist and can be wound around the paddle shaft, then unwound as needed for rescues or things where you want a hand free.

Surf folks tend to leash to their boards, but that is the only environment I know of where there is a majority opinion that the best idea is a paddle leash to the craft.

Grabbing stationary objects
I’ve seen lots of newbies flip themselves by trying to hold on to a stationary object while in moving water.

Generally a bad thing to do. The boat wants to keep moving since it’s in moving water. The part of you that’s holding the tree or rock wants to stay put.

Something’s gotta give - and you found out what that something is.

Pungo is a flatwater boat
One of the reasons you may have flipped so easily is the huge cockpit in the Pungo. The slightest tilt to the boat submerges the cockpit rim and lets water in. The other problem with Pungos is the lack of a front bulkhead.

When you put the two together - a huge cockpit which swamps easily, and a bow that fills up with water -you have a boat that should only be paddled on calm (warm) water within swimming distance of shore. It is not designed for any kind of moving water, edging, etc. because it swamps so easily.

This past winter, our club taught deepwater self and assisted rescues in our pool sessions. Three of the students had Pungos, and it was very hard for them to get back in their boats without swamping them. And once a Pungo is swamped, it is impossible to empty in deep water because you have to lift the bow full of water in order to drain it. Even turning it upright is hard in deep water if the bow is swamped, because the air in the stern makes the boat point downward (Cleopatra’s needle). Your puppy is very lucky you were near shore!

If you’re interested in doing more than flatwater paddling in warm water, please think about trading up for a kayak with a smaller cockpit opening plus bulkheads front and rear.

With front & rear bulkheads, even when capsized the boat floats on top of the water and is self-draining (the trick is to flip it upright without scooping too much water, but that’s what your pump’s for).

Any water that does stay in the boat is limited to the cockpit area and is much easier to pump, plus you can actually paddle it even with the cockpit partially filled - the air chambers at the bow & stern keep the boat on top of the water.

You seem like the adventurous type - please try to get a better kayak that will let you try different things without risking your life.

You don’t say where in Western Washington you are, but look for a paddling club. Many clubs have different levels of trips, and in my experience, people are glad to help you learn. I like to go off on my own and explore, but I satisfy that urge on land, not on the water. On the water I paddle with others, there’s just too much that can go wrong.

Good luck!

No need to replace the boat just yet.
I’ve been in the company of several Pungos on class 1 and 2 rivers with more features than the one pictured by the OP. The boat can handle such water if it’s used properly. I used to pole upstream in such rivers in a Penobscot, which is also considered a flatwater boat. What got the OP in trouble was a lack of bow control, improper edging, probable lack of paddle technique, and trying to hold position in the water by use of a stationary object - along with a lack of knowledge of current dynamics. I’d say it wouldn’t have helped much to have a more advanced boat, until these issues are addressed.

And the simple addition of some flotation or a bulkhead will make the swamping issue much easier to deal with. It’s mostly a software problem - no need for much of a hardware solution until she tackles bigger water. All she needs right now are a some learning and practice.

more info

– Last Updated: Jul-31-12 7:22 PM EST –

I'm going to give a quick response and then read over replies more thoroughly, just because I need to get out of here. I really appreciate all the responses. I just want to clarify a couple of things so you know more about what happened. You could definitely say I was "way in over my head." ;-)

1. I have a paddle float, a blow up kind. I keep it on the front rigging with the bilge pump. I am going to get a foam one after watching some youtube vids from experts. I think there is room behind my seat for one.

2. I never intened to do rivers. I assumed since this was mild and flat it was no big deal. I was very wrong. I know my Pungo is not a river kayak.

3. I have an inflatable bow float from Wilderness Systems. It helps keep the bow floating and less water in. But yeah, the cockpit filled up in a hurry.

4. I have tried self rescue and it hasn't worked (because I was doing it wrong and I am also a big fat git). But I have watched some more vids and after I get a foam float I am going to practice, practice, practice with a friend watching so I don't drown. ;-)

I got the Pungo for flat water. I mostly just creep around, nothing too fast, check stuff out. And I wanted a large cockpit for the dog, since that's one reason I got it. I don't want him on the deck unless it's a sit-on-top.

I've for sure learned a lot from these posts, and you've given me a lot to think about and practice. I don't plan on going on any more rivers soon, not with the dog for sure. I wasn't planning on taking him out on the bay, either. But a wet suit is probably a good idea because Hood Canal and Puget Sound can be very cold, and some of the glacier lakes I like going to (you sure I won't die of heat exhaustion when the air temp is in the 90s?) and more experience/training.

Question....I'm supposed to hook the paddle leash to me, not the boat?

I'm glad I posted here because not only did I learn but I hope other newbies will see this and learn. I always say, I'm not totally useless...I can be a bad example!

Good attitude
Obviously proper formal training is the ideal but, until that is viable for you, your idea about supervised self-taught training is a great starting point.

Aside from the paddle float rescue that you’ve already got in mind I would also suggest you try the cowboy straddle and see which you find the best for you. Also practice emptying the boat in the water by lifting the bow and flipping it over.

Don’t forget the most basic of self rescues - the swim to shore. Towing a flooded or loaded boat can be hard work so it’s best to know what you’re capable of before you need to use it in anger. You’ll need to think about how best to tow your boat and rig up a suitable line that can easily be released from you. One technique that is worth trying is to use the paddle for propulsion whilst lying on your back. It takes a bit of practice but is extremely effective when done right.

Finally, preventing a capsize is always better than recovering from one so make sure you develop your bracing skills. Getting your friend to stand behind you and aggressively rock the boat is a great way to build up your reflexive bracing once you have the basic mechanics in your muscle memory.

Paddle leash attachmnt etc

– Last Updated: Aug-01-12 8:44 AM EST –

If you are going to stay on flat water, a paddle leash attached to the boat should be OK. Not my personal favorite, but it is only in whitewater/moving water that this is broadly considered to be baaad. (along with any other tethering) That said, learning to hang onto your paddle and boat in a capsize is best of all and longer leashes paddle to boat tend to knock and be noisy. So I don't like them. You also may have the dog factor to consider in some situations. Think about this one.

Wet suit - The basic entry level paddling wet suit will be hot when the air is hot while the water is cold, and is inadequate protection by itself should you capsize and be up in the air again in a wet suit with wind blowing. Wet suits literally keep you warm when you are on the water - up in the air unless you go for fancier ones they are a fast trip to hypothermia with wind blowing on them. Your solution is to spend more money - either for a wind-blocking splash jacket and, given the open cockpit of the Pungo maybe pants as well, or get a wet suit that has that built in. The latter will move the cost from somewhere over $100 for a wetsuit to somewhere over $300 or so - you are looking for the more refined full body surfing type wet suits to get this.

As you go along in paddling you'll just about always find use for the wind-blocking separates. You may or may not get a long term hold out of the wetsuit depending on your preferences as you learn more, so a reasonable approach is to spend decent money on a splash/dry top and go more basic on the neoprene layers for now. You'll have to get off the water maybe a little sooner than you want this fall, but if you can add some pool sessions over the winter to this season's paddling, you'll hit the water this spring with a much better idea of how you want to allocate your paddling dollars.

Self-rescue - Kudos for trying this, but you should consider the possibility that this is boat that has limitations in this area. Once you get back in you could still be sitting in a quite unstable boat full of water because of the sheer size of the cockpit opening. It will tend to admit water in the process of your climbing back in even if you do get the thing flipped and emptied to start, particularly if you are larger. Your arms will fall off trying to get it all pumped out with the usual hand pump, time consuming and not great for the overall success of the re-entry. Consider picking up a battery-powered pump, West Marine has one for example, and starting that to empty the water after getting back in.

That's it for what I can remember of your post right now.

good ideas!
I will definately try (sans dog at first) to get the boat to shore by swimming. I can do this in an area a friend can be nearby just in case. Also the bracing teqhnique practice I want to do…I have the book “Paddle Your Own Kayak” by McGuffin and it clearly illustrates this and recommends having a friend behind you tipping so you don’t know which way to go. For sure! Now that I’ve been over it makes me want to really practice all these techniques. And stay close to shore until I can do them successfully!

I heard about using a poncho as a temporary wind break. I have simple raingear, and an emergency blanket in the aft bulkhead, but I will look around. My main concern is being in cold water and not being able to get back in and hypothermia. It is not uncommon here in Washington.

I was able to pump the water out of the boat while on dry land. It was about half full and what work! From what I’ve seen you’re supposed to tip the water out from the bow and then self-rescue, then pump. I have so many things to practice! And a long way to go. Luckily the lake just 1/4 mile from here is shallow and never very cold. In fact when it was 80 something last week I went on it and it was like bathwater. Good for practicing!

Thank you thank you thank you. I was NOT expecting all this info! And you have been really nice. I’ve been on forums where people are not so nice. I appreciate it!!!

No problem
Despite some opinions, I have no problem with rec boats like the Pungo. I just have problems with them going places for which they were not designed, especially solo. They can pick up an unmanageable amount of water because of the cockpit size, makes it harder to deal with on-water issues. Near shore not an issue unless someone can’t swim. Believe it or not, we have encountered folks who went out in kayaks and could not swim. Have added a new question to our list for checking out paddlers to go out with…

Given how aggressive you are being, I doubt you’ll be too long with just the Pungo. I forget where you are, but for more advanced work you can get some cheapo but immensely useful old school WW boats that may be too old to hit rocks, but are fine for basic pond practice. And they are better designed for skills work than the Pungo assuming you get a good fit.

no ww for me, I don’t think
I’m in the Pacific Northwest, near Seattle. Large kayaking community here, mostly sea but we have lots of WW around. I do NOT want to white water kayak. I thought this river looked very benign, and had I known what I have learned here, I would have had more experience and skills before I went upstream. I may not take the Pungo into that kind of situation again. If I want to do that sort of river, I might find a used WW…they are always on craigslist. For what I do the Pungo is perfect. In the future I might get a sea kayak. I’d also like a tandem. We’ll see. I really just like to put around and get a little exercise but not alot and enjoy the scenery and my dog loves it so much. I just started June of last year and been on around 15 lakes, but this was my first river and a holy huge mess.

I would like to say…don’t try this at home. But I went up to the mountains in a really bad funk about my job and my life, and came back down with a new attitude. Sometimes God has to smack me upside the head to get my attention. Sometimes I wonder how I made it to 42! :wink: