How windy is too windy?

My thought is that instruments and calculations are fine, but not a substitute for good judgment. Rule of thumb works very well too. Mine is that if the waves out there a ways look like two-footers, more than likely they are double that and so on. My judgement tells me if the waves are above about six feet, it might be best to enjoy the day on shore.

Remember, good judgement comes from experience. And experience comes from bad judgement!

Not all the time. I think thereā€™s a relationship between good judgment and common sense.

1 Like
  • In the ocean, where we paddle our canoe, on warm summer days, winds come from the south starting at noon. These winds build waves if the tide is moving in the opposite direction.

• In headwinds, follow the shore where the wind (and often the waves) are less, even if that adds distance to your trip. Beware of steep/cliify shores that cause waves to rebound, often dangerously.

• Striking camp and loading the boat quickly is a learned and valuable skill that helps take advantage of calm mornings. Weā€™ve been as fast as 45 minutes, with a quick snack, but typically, weā€™re an hour from waking to getting in the boat.

Magooch and Jetski I very much agree with the early morning departures. I try to pack and load the canoe the night before I sleep. I leave out only the tent, sleeping gear. and morning coffee. I deally I am up before sunrise and on the water before the sun peeks over the horizon. I do not know about you, but 20 or so miles in a day is all I am doing, so I am done paddling, off the river, and camp set up by about noon, which is when the winds begin to increase.
As to storms, large winds and schedules??? Schedules have killed more people that winds or storms, ya gotta be home for work, or the school p[lay or the N.P. ranger insisted that your permit was for today only, Schedules kill people. We blame it on the weather, wind, waves, in truth, it was the schedule that killed the person, the water was just the agent blamed.
If the weather is not good, STAY WHERE YOU ARE. Late for the school play??? You could miss all the school plays, permanently.

2 Likes

It is too windy when making progress becomes very difficult.
It is too windy when the consequences of a swim could be life threatening.
Make sure you never ā€œhave to get home.ā€ That concept clouds peopleā€™s judgment.
Have the talk with your boss if you work for someone else.
I have called in late several times due to giant waves and sometimes bad snow storms.

1 Like

My paddling partner and I scheduled a short trip. When we got to the lake, the wind was very strong but our launch point was protected. She has a demanding job with little time off, so we tried. We had not paddled far when the wind caught us. At normal paddling effort, we werenā€™t moving at all.
She learned a lesson about wind I already knew.