How you started and your first kayak or canoe

Grew up on the Mississippi and was around the water all the time. But we were always in John boats. I was intrigued by the canoes I’d noticed people paddling on a nearby stream, Castor River, and tried one out before I was old enough to drive. Decided they were a lot easier to paddle than a John boat and paddled them as often as I could scrounge up the bucks to rent one through the mid to late '70’s.

By the early '80’s I was drooling over canoes in catalogs but there were no local retailers that sold them until a local boat shop obtained a few Lowe Canoes made in Lebanon, MO. Put one of them in layaway and a few paychecks later I owned my first canoe, which I later named “The pig.” Paddled her on many an Ozark stream and she only let me swim once; hitting a log during an ill-advised paddle on a flooded Castor River paddle with a friend. Heck, she even kept me dry on a whitewater paddle where the only paddlers you’ll see now are in short, “Bagged” whitewater canoes and kayaks. I sold her to a paddling friend several years later when I graduated Nursing school and decided I’d get a nicer, lighter canoe.

I tried kayaks for a few years, but there is so much more pleasure to be had in an open boat and a single blade paddle. I’ve had the pleasure of owning and paddling dozens of boats, but circumstances have led me to trim our fleet to just a few. I’m fortunate to have a good friend and a wife whom paddle and I paddle most weeks of the year. I also relish our twice a year Paddling.net Rendezvous when I get to see many of my old paddling friends. I cannot remember the book, but there is a quote that sums up my mindset perfectly; “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Newbie reporting in.

In 2014 the WaterTribe was mentioned in a sailing forum I occasionally visit. I was curious, so I followed the EC and discovered there was much more to a kayak than plodding around at a snail’s pace (that’s what the few kayaks I had seen did: not much of anything).

Decided to buy a kayak, although I had never been in one. A Necky Rip 10. About a week later I stumbled upon Pnet, joined, and started asking lots of questions. Paddling and my Pnet mentors have changed my life (mega thanks).

Four kayaks later, still follow the WaterTribe events and still have lots of questions.

My experience with boats started in 1945 or 1946.

My first river ride (I was 3 or 4 years old) was in a homemade, wooden jon boat, It was over 22 feet long, and was piloted by a fishing guide. The boat had no motor; the guide poled it “upstream” while my mother, and her sister fished. After my first jon boat ride my mother & her sister (fishing fanatics) always took me along. My mother said that was preferable to listening to me whine about not being able to go. I provided ballast.

I didn’t give a damn about fishing; I just wanted to be out on the river…

It snowballed from that beginning. I started paddling with cousins in tandem canoes when I was 12 or 13. By the time I was 14 I was soloing a 17 foot Grumman. I was hooked!
Over the years my “stable” has grown to 21 canoes.

BOB

Photo taken in Winter of 1981 or 1982.

I went on a 2 hour guided tour with a guy who actually had nice kayaks for us to use. After that I bought a used Pungo and had it a week. I nkew nothing and bought one that was stored improperly and had bad oil canning. So I resold it and bought used tsunami 125. This one was well cared for and almost showroom new. Love it. Something about being alone on the water leaving all your worries on the shore. Paddling up to a beach and taking a swim break. Going down a calm river and seeing weird colorful ducks I had no idea were in and around the city where I lived. Having the wind at your back on an open lake and zipping along. I’m still a noob. But it’s been good therapy as well as excercise and mindfullness.

What’s this wind at your back stuff?The first reality of paddling and cycling is the wind is almost always in your face.
Glad you are enjoying it.

@string said:
What’s this wind at your back stuff?The first reality of paddling and cycling is the wind is almost always in your face.
Glad you are enjoying it.

Wind in your face is cooler in the heat. Tide at you back is golden.

:slight_smile:

Wind and tide in your face is a work out.

i got started young. Once or twice a year we would rent canoes and go on a river like the Little Miami OH or the Whitewater in IN. By the time I was about 10 or 11 my dad became more adventuresome and we rafted on the new in wv and we did the Rockcastle in Kentucky- our first trip with class III ww on our own and we took all the camping gear in the canoe with us. It was many years before I bought a boat. In the summer I paddled canoes all summer with the BSAs Maine High Adventure Base, a young me in the bow (pictured below at roll dam with Doug Oliver) (think trippers, alumacrafts, grummans, and later on discoveries). In college I worked in a rec program which gave me access to tandem blueholes, a mr ME that pretty much lived on top of my datsun pickup. First kayak I paddled was a Hollowform on the Great Miami. Eventually we had perception mirage kayaks that Joe Pulliam delivered to Miami Univ. Rec Dept… I coowned a phoenix slipper mostly cause we had to patch it after every trip and I help buy the supplies. I Bought a used Lettman kayak and used and patched that for a year or two. Eventually bought a new gyramax c1 when it came out. That was pretty much my go to boat for 20 years and my work boat on the New and Gauley Rivers. I still rent or borrow boats when it is more convenient. I ain’t a boat snob. Eventually I’ll end up in a rec boat. Difference between me and others is I now know (unlike the photo) to put a couple of blow up monkeys in the back for added flotation. So If you’re gonna rec boat you need a blow up monkey or two.

@tdaniel said:
So If you’re gonna rec boat you need a blow up monkey or two.![]
I’LL HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT ONE (LOL)!

I saw Deliverence, I knew them and there it was how I wanted to my weekends.

Actually, fond memories of my dad “teaching” me to paddle and me “helping” to paddle an old aluminum canoe at a Y camp. Then summer going into my senior year I was invited to a week long canoe trip into Algonquin. Having never actually done any true canoeing it was a life changing experience. Having not been out in TEN years I went the other day with my wife (together about 8 years) and our 5 year old son. I haven’t stopped smiling since. I almost forgot how much I love this stuff.

Hey TomL, I was probably one of those guys paddling freestyle at the Blackhawk event in Ann Arbor. Loved the Canoesport shop (still have logo sweatshirt) and sometimes drove three hours each way in one day just to hang out there and paddle boats out back. Ned Sharples became a friend and still miss him. One of our best trips was renting a houseboat on the Mississippi for a week, canoes loaded on top, beaching in the afternoon and paddling backwaters along Wisconsin…highly recommended!

Started with a royalex Penobscot, traded it for a Tripper. Then discovered solos in early 80’s and that was all for the tandems. About 40+or- solos passed through my storage shed over the next several years as I came to know lots of industry folks and worked with ACA FreeStyle group for years. Fleet now down to just a Hemlock Eagle and Bell Wildfire as I have no storage.

While a teen in the late 60’s I would help my farmer friend with his tobacco crop in rural Kentucky. It was very hot and dirty work and afterwards we cool off with a swim in a small local creek, called Panther Creek. I always wanted to explore more of that creek, so while visiting a Quonset hut called Dizzy Dave’s trading post in Owensboro, KY, I bought a 15’ aluminum canoe. It had a deep keel and turned like an ocean freighter, but no one could tell me it wasn’t efficient or sleek enough or that it was too barge-like to be fun. I logged hundreds of hours on Panther Creek but within a few years, dredging began on the creek for flood control and it was turned into a big ugly canal, so I traveled farther to paddle.

Sometime during the mid-70’s. I was one of the first 300 people or so to paddle the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River after it was designated a national river. My group traveled in a big hippie school bus loaded with aluminum canoes and many long-haired dudes and gals, who had never been in a canoe before. They thought I was some kind of canoeing god just because I managed to stay upright. Believe me, the experience would be exceptional fodder for a movie screenplay with good players, bad players, and sad, tragic players. The Big South Fork remains one of my favorite rivers along with the Buffalo, but it has been several years since I’ve paddled either. Now as a new retiree … the garage is full of boats … so you might find me on an Ozark stream soon.

@wildernesswebb said:
I cannot remember the book, but there is a quote that sums up my mindset perfectly; “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

First the rat rowed the mole,
then his words rolled and cajoled.
Taken to heart in every Duckhead same.

I believe they “messabout” in me,
forever “muckled-up” like DougD.
“Nothing in particular,” willow whispers of Kenneth Grahame.

I enjoy the full Mr. Rat quote, TW:

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing… about in boats — or with boats. In or out of ’em, it doesn’t matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that’s the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don’t; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you’ve done it there’s always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you’d much better not.”

Wind In the Willows/Kenneth Grahame

Hope you’re healing well, WWTW!

CWDH/TWtoo

@canoeswithduckheads said:

@wildernesswebb said:
I cannot remember the book, but there is a quote that sums up my mindset perfectly; “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

First the rat rowed the mole,
then his words rolled and cajoled.
Taken to heart in every Duckhead same.

I believe they “messabout” in me,
forever “muckled-up” like DougD.
“Nothing in particular,” willow whispers of Kenneth Grahame.

I enjoy the full Mr. Rat quote, TW:

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing… about in boats — or with boats. In or out of ’em, it doesn’t matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that’s the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don’t; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you’ve done it there’s always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you’d much better not.”

Wind In the Willows/Kenneth Grahame

Hope you’re healing well, WWTW!

CWDH/TWtoo

Heheheh, the whole paragraph is even better, isn’t it? Unfortunately, my feeble, old mind is only able to remember the one sentence!

I think I’m over the hump, TW, feeling better by the day with my Cardiac Rehab. Still a few more weeks before I’m allowed to paddle, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Of course, my mantra was that on my canoe trips, I refuse to allow any “Electronics” in the boat or within my gear. No, watch, no radios, no GPS, no fish finder, no cell phone. But now, I have a PERMANENT chunk of “Electronics” implanted within my chest, so I guess I have to revise my rule (LOL)?

I grew up in Seattle within easy walking distance of Lake Washington. We played on logbooms, built, borrowed and stole rafts, explored the lake and ship canal with a home-built runabout, hydroplane and dingys that I kept on the shore of Portage Bay. Forty-some years ago a friend introduced me to white water kayaks and I was hooked. White water turned out to not be my thing but working ~46 years in the outdoor equipment industry provided access to countless kayaking opportunities and gear that support my enjoyment in sea kayaking. I had no need to have my own kayak until 2002 when I built a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14.

Today I paddle regularly in Puget Sound, Lake Washington, the Ship Canal and the 16,000 miles of coastline offered by British Columbia. I am focused on exploring the outer BC coast and blogging about my experiences. My “fleet” is not extensive and consists of only two boats. My dayboat is a Sterling Illusion and my Tempest 170 Pro is used exclusively for trips.

The Illusion is loaded on the car now and I’m going the spend the day on the lake.

Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

Canoeswithduckheads… Kenneth Grahame, , The wind in the willows.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/893-believe-me-my-young-friend-there-is-nothing---absolutely

Hey eyeopener that sounds adventuresome “Sometime during the mid-70’s. I was one of the first 300 people or so to paddle the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River after it was designated a national river. My group traveled in a big hippie school bus loaded with aluminum canoes and many long-haired dudes and gals, who had never been in a canoe before.”

I can remember being very nerous as child riding over the lower water bridge (Leatherwood Ford) in the the family station wagon. The river was high almost lapping over the rails they had wired up on the side of the bridge. In the early 80s we used to camp and party next to an upgraded Leatherwood Ford bridge. That at all stopped when the park service built a campground up the hill. It must have been quite an ordeal getting a schoolbus into leather wood or burnt mill. Roads were rough back in the 70s!

Hey Eyeopener, I bet it’s been 12 years or more since you posted here. I always remember your photography. Since the demise of Webshots, have you set up on online page for your photos? If you have something like that, I know I’m not the only one here who would be interested. Nice to hear about your particular start in the paddling hobby too.

Well it wasn’t MY canoe…but I think my canoe paddling days began in my pre-teen years as the bow paddler with my step-granddad in his old wood/canvas 18’ tandem on evening and early AM flyfishing trips to the nearby ponds from the grandparent’s camp on Moosehead L, Maine in the early 60s. Commanding the motorboat, learning the ways of a canoe, living amongst wildlife…and hiking all over the place, as their camp was the last camp lot before you ran into deep woods, with flyrod in hand…finding brooktrout in all the brooks…it was a fun era.
Woodlands/Wildlife pics from today: http://s1071.photobucket.com/user/bigspencer12/story

Albums:

1. bigspencer12’s Bucket
  2. Maine Woodlands

I’ll continuously upload more as the summer goes on.