Humbled by a one-seater

No Straight Lines

– Last Updated: Oct-03-12 6:59 AM EST –

It's an absolute waste of such a fine hull to attempt to paddle it straight.
That hull cries out for arcs and circles. It will paddle more efficiently if you don't fight that.
The shortest distance between two points is a series of alternating arcs.
The Bill Mason video is great for learning basic stokes but predates hulls like the Guide/Freedom Solo. Kent Fords "Solo Playboating" and "Drill Time" as well as Tom Foster's instructional video are geared towards whitewater paddling but those techniques will make the Guide shine.
Attending some Freestyle classes as Mr. Ornstein suggests above would really get you going. Practical Freestyle is simply adapting those techniques to quiet water paddling.

My experience
As you get more time in your boat you will feel more secure and then you can raise the seat which will help the entrapment concerns. I have done this with all my solos. Flexable thin footwear or barefoot works best for me which also helps entrapment concerns.This also allowes you to either extend your toes or curl them up when kneeling-I do both. On my “winter boat”,which I paddle with neoprene boots on,I have raised the seat even more for clearance. I have had the same experience as others mentioned with a Mad River and other shallow V boats. They have very little initial stability when perfectly level.Healing a little firms them up.Transisioning from a shallow arch hull to a V always took some adjustment. I eventually sold my V hulls.

Turtle

I Love That Statement
"It’s an absolute waste of such a fine hull to attempt to paddle it straight." Amen, brother! When paddling a fine boat like my Starfire I find myself playing, paddling backwards, doing eddy turns everywhere, etc.