humming to keep water out of the nose

What if…
… that 55 gal drum out back IS your bathtub?

Might be ok then.
I don’t know why, exactly. These pride things are subtle.

Paul S.

the question is
do you believe in inhaling

I
do practice most of the time in fresh water and yes, it does burn and it’s quite uncomfortable coming back out. Salt water doesn’t really bother me at all.

If I’m practicing in a pool, then yes, I do blow out my nose or use plugs.

There you go
again ABC, reading into it a little too deep. Take a break man.

I realize no two noses are the same, but with a little practice, most will get very used to it. All of the paddlers I’ve been with have.

Regarding practicing rolls, you have me wrong again. I’m not flat out dicating people should practice without plugs, especially in the beginning of their learning process. I feel they should use whatever they wish to allow themselves to be comfortable.

But once they’ve nailed their rolls (combat) and they’re thinking about developing some realistic skills they could then apply in conditions, they should then think about weening themselves off those items they probably won’t be using when they find they’re upside down and didn’t plan on it.

Does that clear it up a little or you still confused?

Clear, but disagree.
Except the little side track of whether people exhale or not in “real” condition, I’m quite clear of what you advocate. And I beg to disagree.

“But once they’ve nailed their rolls (combat) and they’re thinking about developing some realistic skills they could then apply in conditions, they should then think about weening themselves off those items they probably won’t be using when they find they’re upside down and didn’t plan on it”

I learn to roll with nose plug and still pratice with it. I don’t even bother with the exhaling part, precisely because I’m not sure it carry over in real situation.

However, I’ve had to roll many times in real situation, without nose plugs. And I never felt the water in my nose distracting me from executing the roll normally. Even in situations when I had to WAIT upsidedown for a long while till the water released me from the hole, I never noticed the discomfort in my nose! So it is my believe this whole business of whether nose plug is un-realistic or not is totally pointless.

More over, there’re MANY white water paddlers run the entire river with their nose clip ON. THAT, would make the “nose plug = un-realistic” question totally irrelevant!

Is it possible to “get used to” water up the nose? Maybe. But with all the other “skills” to be learned, that’s one skill that’s near the bottom of the list for many.

Then you might be a redneck! (NM)

My daughter is my idol.

– Last Updated: Dec-28-06 10:43 PM EST –

I took my 20 yo daughter to a roll session last night. I asked her if she had nose clips. She said, "No, I just exhale out of my nose. I said, "your kidding!" She said, "I couldn't use them when I made turns in the pool on the swim team, so I'm used to exhaling out of my nose." So she did the roll session all night with no nose plugs. I was amazed. I asked her if she ever tried humming. She just laughed at me.

No, I wasn't able to get her to roll. She needed a more experienced teacher to get it on the first session I think. She made good progress though.

I'll try humming the next time I'm in salt water.

By the way, someone told me the humming thing was recommended at a Body Boat Blade course.

Paul S.

Scrunch
I find that if your “scrunch” your nose and upper lip into a funny face it helps seal the nasal passages ,at least minimising the amount of water you take in.

I practise with a nose clip but when I’m out paddling and do spontanious fun rolls I don’t bother. It’s more a matter of getting use to it.

On combat rolls I have never had water up the nose bother me,there seems to be too much other stuff going on at the time,like getting through the surf zone before the next wave kicks your butt.

Cheers

Bert

Advantage?
Interesting thought. I will give it a try as well. Just curious as to what the advantage would be of humming vs. just blowing out through the nose. Maybe it would allow you to keep the air in your lungs longer???