Hybrid cars and MPG kayak on roof

Annoying is empty cars blocking the long diesel pump while the drivers get a cup of refreshment, etc.

Annoying is limits on the pump far below a full up.

Diesel, gas or hybrid size + get the vehicle that is right for your use.

Ps…Sing…your guy was complaining about a $125 fill up…(in southern) he ain’t seen nuttin. …

I know… That’s what I am concerned about. Gonna a lot worse before it gets better…

sing

the heaters (rear screen, mirror , seat etc.) all get the 12V and that is charged from the combustion engine (and recuperation occasionally for hybrids). But in the end, the ICE has to provide the energy for all electricity. The hybrid just has a high voltage (few hundred V) as a buffer that keeps the 12V battery charged. So what the electric users do for mileage is more related to ICE efficiency.

I would think the hybrid generator-motor is more efficient generating electricity than a standard alternator. The Prius also uses an Atkins cycle engine, which is more efficient than standard ICE. It also has a heat exchanger to recover exhaust heat back into the coolant since the more efficient drivetrain makes less hot coolant. I think they also used to have a small coolant storage that kept some hot fluid in a thermos-like container for the next coldstart a few hours or even days later - not sure if they still have that. So they made quite some effort to overcome the cold-start problem. but physics still is physics.

I bet most winter consumption is added due to thick cold oil before the engine heats up, and people idling more to stay warm. the added electricity (also more light due to shorter days) is a small fraction compared to what a cold engine does to added fuel consumption. When cold, the engine also injects extra fuel to make up for condensed gasoline. In old days that was dome mechanically with a choke-lever. Now it is done electronically, but still it is done when cold.

Also note, when you gage shows the engine is warm, that is the coolant. That doesn’t mean your oil already is at operating temperature. Oil in both engine and transmission will be warmer later and IMHO they should display those temperatures in addition (but I’m a nerd).

Seems too I heard that batteries especially the lithium batteries have less cold weather performance. Thus the hybrid engine runs more.

If you want to learn about how cars work, Weber shows that and also tears new cars apart to a very minute detail. Large section on hybrids and EV as well.

Teardowns and reviews from the point of a mechanic by Speedkar99

Teardowns by I do cars (it doesn’t let me post more than 2 URL, so google on youtube for “I do cars”

There is a reason you want to stay away from certain cars and/or engines. The above and other sources can provide a lot of insight if you are willing to learn and understand. There is no perfect car, but you want to avoid the (many) expensive pitfalls.

Same reason you don’t want to take a Walmart kayak on the Ocean, except for a car that Walmart kayak still cost $40K.

What do you think of the Niro? Thanks.

Honestly, my wife drives that as she gets around with the auto more than I do. I have driven it twice. It handled fine (on the highway despite a higher profile). It’s got all kinds of electronic doodads, and subtle safety stuff, e.g. lane warning/correction, etc. (this is great for her as she gets sleepy in a car). It’s got noticeably more interior cargo room (important to me), with the rear seats down, than my Honda Fit. And, most important, it has been averaging 50 MPG plus for her driving.

That is as much as I can share.

sing

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I don’t drive a hybrid, but my Mitsubishi Mirage gets about 4.5l/100km on the highway in summer with no roof rack. Adding the wider square thule bars takes it to about just under 5l/100, and adding a kayak takes it to just over 6l/100. If I have two kayaks and some gusty winds it can go as high as 8l/100, but 6.5-7.0 is more typical with two kayaks. I use a scangauge and check it against actual mileage/pump. The car is pretty aerodynamic and low-powered, so a bit of drag makes a difference. I previously had a focus and pulled a small trailer with 3 canoes. The trailer was better than cartopping in that case as it was in the slipstream of the car. Way back I used an F-150 351M with a low-range transaxle. The fuel use on that one didn’t change - just really thirsty at all speeds and loads. A fun forum to check out is ecomodder. They do all sorts of interesting tinkering.

I don’t have a hybrid either, but have a 2015 Honda CRV with 2.4 ICE. I’m seeing around a 10% drop in MPG when I have one 12 foot kayak on my HullyRollers on a 100 mile highway trip. My overall average MPG is 29.5 (calculated) since new in 2015. I calculate about 26 MPG on the 100 mile run, keeping it at 65-75 most of the way.

I have not notice much change with just rack on other than wind noise. There is a drop in mpg on the highway. For short trips it is fine. For long trips like several hundred or more I did the math and it is cheaper to rent at the destination than pay the difference in extra fuel. Unless I am traveling to a competition on require my boat for the event.

What boat you put on your roof and how you attach it will have more impact than the model of car as most cars are designed in wind tunnels and kayaks are not.

1 Like