I have to buy a boat from REI

Expand your horizons…
I know I’m likely to get beat to death with a paddle but…get a nice bicycle. REI carries some nice bikes under the Novara brand. I mean, seriously…do you really need another boat? Wait, what am I saying…OF COURSE you do!!!

Nevermind.

Another idea is maybe upgrade your boat carrying gear…make it easy on yourself with one of those fancy self loaders from Thule.

necky manitou 14
The Manitou 14 is a sweet kayak that you could just about buy with your $1,000. It is large enough for short trips, with two bulkheads, but small and light enough to easily load and carry. I’ve got a Manitou 13 and my only regret is that I didn’t get the 14 for its additional versatility and storage (plus it has a retractable skeg).

More absolutes from

– Last Updated: Aug-21-08 3:08 PM EST –

a relative beginner. That's not to be offensive. Your passion is cool, but from your own words you are a 3 star with a "sometimes" combat roll. This would lead me to believe your experience in really big seas to be somewhat limited, which would lead me to think that to be the case with the boats in question.

What makes the T-170 (a fine boat BTW) "the friendliest all round boat for bigger water"?

Please tell me how the 170 is superior in rough water to say a Looksha 17. What is it specifically about the design differences that lead to that conclusion, and what data supports that??

It's not YOU that bugs me, it's the Absolutes you toss out about very subjective things.

Having paddled some of these boats I'd choose the Manitou 14 (of those listed) for huge water high winds,(even though you'd likely not understand why, as it won't fit your ideals as a proper sea boat based on your past commentary) but that doesn't make it better, only what I'd prefer. WHY do people have to speak in terms of BEST, when there is no such thing in kayaks.

WOW!!
that is quite a list. I tend to look at canoes and kayaks a little like cars. you can only drive one at a time… why have more than one. BUT TO EACH THEIR OWN. Whatever floats your baot so to speak. Good Luck withyour purchase.

Here is a link
to the Tempest Owners group. They would be happy to answer questions and give opinions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TempestOwners/

SPECIAL ORDER!!!
always wanted that black gold canoe right? (or something like that) they can always do a special order!!!

Labor Day Sale at REI!
I just got an e-mail this morning from REI announcing their Labor Day Sale. I didn’t see anything I wanted or needed amongst their paddling gear but I did notice they have several kayaks on sale … maybe 20% off or so?

I was actually
standing in the REI store in Seattle less than an hour ago looking at that exact boat. If it had had scupper holes, I think I might have bought it (I plan to use it in rough water and get wet, and as it is, it looks like it’ll just fill up too quickly).

BTW - the internet price you quoted is about $70.00 less than the store’s posted “sale” price for that boat ($750.00). But they also have the tandem version of the same boat that they’re apparently trying to get rid of - it was only $550.00.

Just when I had decided . . .
to buy a Tempest 170, the Esquif Mistral went on sale for $1475–about the same the Tempest would cost when you add in the cost of a spray skirt. Now I’m confused again.

eBay?
Gift cards tend to sell for close to original value on eBay. If there is nothing you need from REI, selling is your best bet. Just be careful with the crooks out there who are out to scam you -:wink:

reading comprehension
Celia’s post is explicitly subjective. Salty, your paddling experience is invaluable but, to the extent your crankiness will allow it, you could save time by reading more carefully, and thinking more constructively, before responding.

All opinions are not created equal, but Celia’s opinions, and that’s exactly what she offers, seem to me often thoughtful, useful and clearly expressed. Yours may be better informed, or more applicable to a wider range of conditions, or based on superior experience, but when they arrive with a crust of smug and a mug of condescending, no thanks.

get the canoe
you probably couldn’t handle a kayak very well anyway

REI kayak _ Delta kayaks
you didn’t list any of the Delta kayaks. I purchased a Delta 14.5 about 2 weeks ago, and I just love it. I had paddled the Necky’s and the Wilderness Systems Tsunami’s and this one much nicer.

Kasia Wilson

Bend, OR

So maybe you can answer the
questions I asked? I assure you my reading comprehension is fine. I read yet another absolute declaration and simply asked for the individual to back that up and explain “why”.