I lost my hip snap

Young whippersnappers or hippersnappers?

All good suggestions
Some dancing, some marching, I can do that.

I’ve always wanted to dryland roll
We have an old Pirouette (sp?) I can drag out and flop around in the back yard in. Got to watch those evil gumballs, though.

It
doesn’t Require very much …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7lR5E4Oi4

Best Wishes

Roy

What did you think of the outfitting in
the boat(s) you were using? Were your hips controlled from side to side? Did the thigh braces contact your thighs relatively broadly, or only up near the knee?

When you got upside down, did you feel that the outfitting would hold you in, keyed to the angle of the boat, as long as you wanted, until you disengaged your thighs and feet?

I’m very large, so it is easy for me to achieve a tight fit in most kayaks, if I can get in them at all. Some people of more normal size may tend to rattle around in kayaks provided for roll practice. Was it your boat, or a practice boat?

If you have a Pirouette…

– Last Updated: Jan-01-10 5:23 PM EST –

I just caught the response up above. If it still has its thigh braces intact, you may want to consider bringing the Pirouette to the pool to learn to roll. Even if it is a regular sized one and you would normally be a fit for the "S", it might be a much better fit for learning than something they are putting you into there. Those old school WW boats are wonderful for rolling, and you can bang it up on the edge of the pool all you want without worrying about hurting something precious.

Also, if you still have the Currituck you mention in another thread and are using that, the lower profile of the Pirouette would make a layback roll in that easier than in the Currituck. (plus it'd be easier to haul in and out of the pool)

can you roll over in bed?..
If so, you’ve got plenty of hipsnap to roll a kayak. Dr. Disco is probably close to the mark with his guess that you may be pulling up on both legs/hips at the same time.

Imagine you’re laying in bed and the alarm clock on your left starts ringing. How do you initiate your hips to roll over? You relax your left leg and then bring your right hip/leg over the left to roll your body to the left so that you can hit the snooze button. It’s the exact same concept to roll about and about the same amount of energy is required as well. The trick is to learn to not fight yourself and the boat by using the proper mechanics/form.

Pirouette!
Everyone in our classes got their first roll in the Pirouette. Great boat to learn in.

I was in my Currituck
and believe me, I don’t need any padding in there to make for a snug fit. I should have brought the Pirouette, though, now that you mention it.

I might have been
trying to use both legs, I’m not sure. Rolling over in bed is no easy task anymore, either, now that I’m old and creaky.

Excellent!
That’s what I had in mind, thanks!