I need advice on P&H kayaks.

You might have me confused with someone
else. I do not have an ankle injury and my inseam is quite short for my height at 31". I hear you, but are you talking to me? I will answer the stability and fit issues you bring up when I paddle the boat. For now I will assume that they are tolerable. If they are, is this still the wrong boat. Thank you for trying to help me.

Sorry, I did mix you up
with cbdunn, who is also looking for a big guy boat.

But that is significant info - if you are 6’3" with just a 31" inseam, then you have a long torso. The stability might be a bigger factor for you there with 245# on that long torso. I am built the same way.

The 173 is a more stable boat than the Cetus. The Cetus is a beautiful boat, and I love that extra hatch up front. It was hard to not buy it. But I accepted that the 173 was a better fit for me and what I do.

If you get a chance to paddle both in some varied conditions, I am sure the differences will be apparent. For me, the Cetus was a boat I loved, but the 173 was a boat that loved me.

Capella 167
I would sure like someone to write a good review on that boat. I’m curious how it performs compared the the prev Capella 169 model.

Shadow?

– Last Updated: Jan-20-08 2:46 PM EST –

I know its not a P&H, but have you tried a Nigel Foster Shadow? Good boat for big guys (I'm 6,2 225lbs size 13s) and its a blast to paddle. Worth looking around to see if you can find one to sit in or demo.

Very different boats
I used to own a Capella 169, and have paddled the 167. IMO the Capella 169 was a Capella in name only, and was quite a bit different than the others. The 167 is quite a bit more user friendly to a less- than-advanced paddler and more of a day boat.

The 167 is very much the same style boat as the 161/163/173. I know that there are not many 167s in Northern California now. If you can get to Sacramento (Rocklin) or Redding, Penguin Paddlers has one you could demo. They only have one, so call in advance.

try these too
the usual suspects:

Impex Assateague

WS Tempest 180

Necky Chatham 18

CD Sirocco (plastic) or Gulfstream (glass)

The Tempest in size is close to your Nighthawk 17.5. Same plusses and minusses. The Impex is a shade smaller, already more playful. The Chatham is a sleak, fast, narrow boat, yet surprisingly stable, flat-bottom boat. The Sirocco is shorter and wider, and very maneuverable as a result. Lots of big-guy boats to choose from, so enjoy! :slight_smile:

add this to the list
http://www.frontenac-outfitters.com/kayaks/one_boat.cfm?ID=671

Are there any private owners of Cetus
kayaks that might be willing to share their opinions of their boats with me? Many thanks to you who have offered advice, I truly appreciate it.

Ha-Ha
"Am I not a walking expedition on my own at this weight?" What a flashback…I said the same thing before purchasing a Quest 2 years ago. I was 6’1" and 230 (now 250) and like you had trouble finding a good fit. The fit of the Quest sold me, it’s extremely comfortable. (Coincidently, I had also previously owned a Nighthawk 17.5.) The Quest is relatively fast and tracks well, but as others have said, it needs 80lbs of gear to feel less squirrelly. I’m looking for something new myself and have so far liked the Explorer HV and Romany HV. I’m anxious to try the Argonaut/Aquanaut HV, as well. Good luck on your search.

Jon