I want to buy a new paddle even though I’m not yet sure what i like!

With a little skill and some tools, a simple “button” style ferrule can be shortened by a few inches. I changed my first Kiska from 230 to 215 by cutting and drilling a new hole. Perhaps not for the unskilled, but not rocket science either.

I did the same.

Sparky961 mentioned the Nimbus paddles. My wife and I each have (different model) Nimbus paddles. They make good paddles, if you come across a used one that fits your specifications.

@Sparky961 said:
With a little skill and some tools, a simple “button” style ferrule can be shortened by a few inches. I changed my first Kiska from 230 to 215 by cutting and drilling a new hole. Perhaps not for the unskilled, but not rocket science either.

Helps to wrap masking tape around the cut area to mitigate fiber splits.

I was avoiding getting into the details of shortening for fear of derailing the purpose of this thread. But since more are chiming in with this option I should mention that you need to make sure you don’t end up shortening into an area that has been “ovaled” on the shaft. If you cut that far they won’t slide together smoothly. So if you’re considering this make sure to have a look at the shaft for the length where it will slide into, and make sure it’s still round.

To be realistic I’m not going to shorten my own paddle. Unfortunately I have zero such skills. Too bad one of you handy people wasn’t my neighbor. I’d trade very good home-baked goods for paddle shortening. :slight_smile:

@Doggy Paddler said:
To be realistic I’m not going to shorten my own paddle. Unfortunately I have zero such skills. Too bad one of you handy people wasn’t my neighbor. I’d trade very good home-baked goods for paddle shortening. :slight_smile:

If I were your neighbour I might just take you up on that offer. I used a table saw (carbide blade) and a bench top drill press to get it done. Perhaps there are others that are closer to you that might be amenable to such an arrangement.

If I do say so myself my products are high-quality. People have begged me for pies and cookies… but not paddles.

I’m the opposite …people have begged me for paddles…never for baked goods :stuck_out_tongue:

Roym, I’ve seen the pictures of your paddles. You could have lots and lots of baked goods for one of those beauts.

Thanks for the kind words Doggy Paddler. I never set out to make a paddle for sale. My original thoughts were based around curiosity. Also frustration. I was curious as to the different aspects of a Greenland Paddle and how each aspect changed a paddles fit and performance. That and frustration with doing paddle carving classes and fitting other people to a paddle that not only fit them physically but also fit according to use. I did it all just to experiment. It was a fun venture.

My original theory was to make a paddle that was had interchangeability of any aspect to dial in a persons perfect paddle before they made a wood paddle. I needed to use Carbon for weight reduction and repeatability.

Labors of love often produce superior products, IMHO.

Thanks…This however has caused lots of problems. All ,most people see is a Carbon paddle. They don’t see the actual value in finding the perfect fit and shape. This is why , in your search for a paddle , you should try as many as you are able to.{Euro or Greenland or maybe even Wing} Small differences in size and shape mean way more than most paddlers realize. In a Greenland Paddle , loom length 1/2 inch either side of your optimum length works and is hard to discern. Where your hands are on the shaft of a Euro {or wing or GP} as the paddle enters the water {in relation to the rest of your body } matters, so overall paddle length matters. The little things can add up to big things after several miles. Enjoy your search and spend the time necessary don’t just rush to buy the first deal you find. {you already have something that works} Endeavor to buy YOUR perfect paddle, if possible.

The advise about being aware of the oval part of the shaft caused me to take another look. In the Carlisle, there is a solid plug down in there and I’m betting you don’t want to mess with that. So while it might be very doable to shorten some paddles a little, it’s probably not worth the trouble in most cases.

Thanks! I will enjoy the search. And I’ll try out as many paddles as I can. Good advice - and good thing I’m patient.

About making your own whatever-it-is: to me, home or handmade things have a value outside of monetary. Once money starts to change hands some of the joy and spirit is taken out of the endeavor.

Doggy, Of interest for the future …
There are some Greenland Symposia, such as SSTIKS in WA state, where you there are not only useful on-the-water classes but also a chance to learn how to make your own Greenland paddle. The cost is CHEAP and a learning process you can continue in the future.

@rsevenic said:
Doggy, Of interest for the future …
There are some Greenland Symposia, such as SSTIKS in WA state, where you there are not only useful on-the-water classes but also a chance to learn how to make your own Greenland paddle. The cost is CHEAP and a learning process you can continue in the future.

I think she is in NY, on the Hudson. Much closer to https://www.hrgf.org/ which has paddle making on their schedule.

Yes, good memory! I hope that next year I’ll be able to check out the Hudson River Greenland Festival.

If you’d rather paddle than whittle I have a Mitchell 85” Cedar Horizon that has a blemish that could use a good home. (Blade edge got bumped in shipping).

Rookie hints at you not being too far away from Hyde Park, NY so you could pick up rather than ship.

Rainy day suggestion.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Thanks, Marshall. Those are the ones with oversized looms? If so I’m gonna guess too big for my hands. I’m not too far from you, though, so hope to make it to demo day sometime.