Identify this kayak? Tempest?

OK, I done it and here is the latest addition to “Sister Willowleaf’s Wayward Orphan Kayak Rescue Mission.” The fellas from whom I purchased it (who could have been extras in “Deliverance”) got it in a country auction and quickly discovered they couldn’t fish from it. Sale included a Werner Skagit paddle and a faded purple Harmony skirt. Hull is in excellent shape though it looks like a competently done thin patch along the bow keel that suggests it was landed on rocks, no surprise considering it was apparently an outfitter fleet boat in the San Juan Islands in its youth. Foot pegs run and catch smoothly and there is no apparent corrosion on the metal bits anywhere. The wonky webbing lid straps, with odd flat metal hook buckles need to be replaced but that is minor and I will add Delrin snap buckles. I didn’t want to linger inspecting it before loading and getting on my way (drove white-knuckled through a tornado warning super-cell storm on the way home) but I think it is possible, based on the surprisingly light weight and a quick look at the appearance of the material inside the hatches and cockpit, that it may be a Kevlar layup.

No sign of a model ID on it. Look familiar to anyone? Once I get it into the boat barn I will take close measures of it and try to match it to the models in the extant vintage Northwest catalog archive.

2 Likes

Here is the Northwest Pursuit from their catalog. It was $2900 in Kevlar (49 pounds) in the early 2000s:

100%x1
Pursuit

Specifications
Length: 17’ 6"
Length with Rudder: 17’ 9"
Beam: 22"
Weight: 37 - 55 lbs.
Load Capacity: 425 lbs.

The distinctive Greenland-style can be seen with the upswept bow and stern and recessed RORS rudder system. This craft paddles smoothly and is quick to respond to the paddler’s stroke. The Pursuit line is designed for the paddler that is ready to take the next step in performance and adventure. The soft chine of the Pursuit and the Pursuit XL pivots effortlessly and allows the paddler to become one with the water. The advanced paddler will love the responsiveness that this boat offers. The Pursuit line comes in three sizes to accommodate paddlers of every size.

Features

The Pursuit LP is different than its larger brothers, the Pursuit and the Pursuit XL, in that it has a lower profile, much like the Synergy. Great for the smaller paddler who prefers the Pursuit’s responsiveness and the Greenland style bow.

• Northwest Kayaks most playful single
  • Handcrafted and outfitter proven
  • Extremely responsive
  • Handcrafted and outfitter tough
  • Greenland Style upswept bow and stern with ample rocker, hard chines and flared sides give high secondary stability
  • Northwest Kayaks RORS Rudder System
  • Front and rear bulkheads
  • Compass mount
  • Bow and stern U-bolts, and ergonomic carrying handles
  • Northwest Kayaks recessed paddle park system (our specially designed cleat system)
1 Like

That sounds so unfair.

I love getting to know new to me kayaks. I’m excited for you. I hope we’ll get to hear about how it paddles for you sometime in the near future.

2 Likes

Cleaned up the Skagit paddle (turns out to be FG once I cleaned up the crud encrusted blades to read the markings – it looked like somebody had used it to muck out a stable). Happily it is a 220 so handy for another beater deck spare to spare my cedar and CF GP’s around rocks and docks. It is one of the older adjustable breakdown models with the full range 60 to 60 indexing capacity and pressure lock rather than the pop up button and 3-hole design. Never seen one in the flesh but it appears to work well and connects and separates firmly.

Kayak is still on my car since it has rained since I got back from picking it up. Just went out and slapped on a cockpit cover until I can get over to the garage up the street and move it in with the fleet.

Also determined the Harmony skirt that came with it is a Gripper Featherlite with breathable Sympatex deck (royal blue, not purple as I thought at first seeing it wadded up inside out in the bow hatch) and the right size neo tunnel for me. Once I washed the crud and spider webs off it, it looks pretty good and since my Feathercraft cockpit cover just fit the “new” boat, this skirt ought to fit the coamings on 2 of my hard shells, as well as the SOF and the FC Wisper.

Dang, I bought this kayak intending to give it to my friend – need to curb getting attached to it. Hope to get it in the water this weekend for full asssessment if I can get the broken stern hatch strap fixed. Maybe that will convince me it isn’t a good fit?

I had vowed to reduce the fleet two years ago and so far the reverse has happened. Added 2 last year and now this…

2 Likes

Also noticed that the kayak has a pair of extremely sturdy bolted cleats on the deck flanking where a compass would mount ahead of the cockpit, placed longitudinally, something I have never seen. I am guessing this was also a spec feature on the special ordered outfitter fleet boat to assist in towing, rafting and rescues?

Could be, but that’s also where you’d mount cleats for a sailing rig (although those aren’t the cleats I’d use). Regardless, nice snag and have fun trying it out!

Might be for mounting a deck compass. I actually think I have one in my gear stash that has bungees on the sides (I have assorted stuff that came with used boat buys – trying to do inventory as I sort and move it over to the boat barn.)

I’ve seen those on other Northwest Kayaks. Search for pics of their Synergy and you’ll see cleats forward of the cockpit.

I’ve seen 2 cleats fore the cockpit used with a cross-deck bungee as a quick paddle holder. I first saw these on a Broze Bros. Mariner and typically install them on my kayaks.

I think you should paddle it in some rough water. I believe it might excel at handling those conditions. Great steal…um… purchase… :laughing:

OK, finally know what I have. Transferred it from the car top to the garage/boathouse this afternoon and had a good look inside. Found this label which ID’s it as a “Discover” which is an even higher performing boat than the Pursuit.

Once I got a good look at the layup I see the deck half is woven fabric and the hull is a honeycombed weave. Anyone savvy on what the latter might be? I suspect per weight now that I have hauled it, that it is FG, no Kevlar.

This puppy has 4" of rocker and is an expeditionary cruiser. Way more boat than I need but it will be fun to try it out.

View Larger Image
100%x1
Discover
The Discover line descends from the distinctive Greenland-style design noted for acceleration, optimal tracking and turning in calm waters or high seas. The storage capacity can easily accommodate a weeks worth of gear. The advanced paddler can slide into these boats and immediately find a comfortable responsive friend. The Discover is designed to accommodate the average and smaller paddlers with the Discover XL suited for the larger paddler.

• Northwest Kayaks fastest single, this boat also has the largest single carrying capacity
  • Handcrafted and outfitter proven
  • The Discover’s medium chine is designed for the intermediate to advanced paddler
  • The length, which creates high speeds, and large carrying capacity make this boat the ideal choice for extended expeditions anywhere in the world
  • If you had to be in a kayak in the Bering Sea this would be your choice because it is fast and handles rough, following seas with ease and finesse.
  • Northwest Kayaks RORS Rudder System
  • Front and rear bulkheads
  • Compass mount
  • Bow and stern U-bolts, and ergonomic carrying handles
  • Northwest Kayaks recessed paddle park systems (our specially designed cleat system) Specifications

Length: 17’ 11"
Length with Rudder: 18’3"
Beam: 22"
Weight: 40 - 59 lbs.
Load Capacity: 400 lbs.

The honeycomb looks like Soric foam core. Pretty common, Stellar uses it amongst other builders.

Makes sense. Boat did not feel like it was over 55 pounds – I was expecting when I saw it that it would be over 60. I used to heft and solo load a 65 pound Dagger Magellan and an 85 pound tandem canoe so I know ( and dread) anything weighing close to those behemoths (which found other homes when I decided I was too old to want to wrestle them any more.)