If Dry Suit Fills w/ Water Will U Drown?

There are…
… two kind of kayakers.

Those that pees their pants.

Those that don’t admit it.

/Peter

Well honestly…
I have to admit that I don’t mind doing that in a wetsuit on a long paddle when you can’t land (just go swimming afterwards of course)…but I don’t think I would want to do that in a drysuit!

OK
OK

Listen up

I resent being picked on because my user name is similar to someone else’s and that I dare to voice strong opinions on this board.

My user name is the same user name I’ve been using for nearly 10 years on every web site I interact or do business with. As stated previously, it’s my initials plus the 2nd and 3rd letters of my last name, just like my email address.

I, too, think it unfortunate that my ID is similar to that of another paddling.net poster. After reading his postings I can assure you that I honestly and truly regret being confused with the rwven version of me.

I have attempted to change my name, but near as I can tell this site is not configured to allow a user to do so, as everything is linked to one’s email address.

So, I’m sorry I’m not who you think – or wish – I am.

Now, let’s get to how “newbies” are supposed to behave on this board.

The concept that one may post, but is not allowed to join or voice an opinion until an undefined hazing period is completed is but a barrel of hogwash.

I think the group that dominates and advocates the hazing on this board would be better served if they would set up a yahoo group account that would keep the rifraff (i.e. newbies) out. However, that’s never going to happen because without us newbies things would quickly get pretty boring and stale with no one to help or pick on.

And now that I’ve tugged on Superman’s shorts I’ll sit back and see if he really has super powers.

enjoy

I had one and almost drowned
Once my wrist gasket failed during a spectacular windsurfing crash near Jacksonville Florida many years ago. The short breaking waves that provided so much fun on the board had complete control of me for a bit, because I weighed so much. I was able to tear the leg gaskets and get back on the board with much difficulty and since then I’ve stayed away from drysuits.

Just my one bad experience, your results may vary.

Stop whinging
Or you will be banished to B&B where you will have to deal with the real rwven.

I paddle farily frequently all year
and I have never had an issue with having to pee while in my kayak. Many times there are few if any landing zones but I just wait till I can go. I think the best suggestion is to make sure you use the washroom before you leave. I cannot imagine pissing in my expedition suit for a few reasons least of which is the fact that I would not want to piss on myself. Just make sure you pee before you leave…sure you can hold it for a bit.

This was a good-natured joke:
“He is a very new member and yet already accusing the people on this board of being arrogant know-it-alls. Doesn’t he realize it takes years to earn the right to call the people of Advice arrogant know-it-alls? ;-)”

More poking fun at the Ents of Advice than you.

if the water is cold,
you’ll be cold

Outrigger…
This gentleman http://www.ckf.org/Tips/RescueTechnique.htm has nifty little design for an outrigger. He calls it a “Mexican Outrigger” as thats his background as I recall from reading about the outrigger idea.

http://community.webshots.com/album/83919481xplsrg

Basically it uses a paddle float with the other blade under the thigh brace and loop to tie down the middle. Follow the link, the drawing and photos explain it much better.

Otherwise you ought to be able to raft up and pee into a small water bottle seated, like a bicycle water bottle. Just make sure you mark the bottle correctly.

Also, they make a device for assiting women called a Lady J as I recall. Look it up on campmore/REI.

Really, I doen’t recommend holding your bladder when you really have to go. I believe there are issues with that. Also, what are you going to do on a long trip? Don’t stop drinking, water that is…

;Don