Impex Cat 3

Definitely NOT "VS"
I was just noting that in addition to be a good all around sea kayak - the Cat 4 has the right “features for teachers”. For some this is a redundant statement as they have the same checklist of preferences for any use.

Whether someone wants those qualities in their “regular” boat is up to them. Many seem to. As you can tell by the other responses, others make distinctions and prefer something a little different as their personal/solo boat.

Between OI and Cat 4 (limiting to these for simpler discussion), I’d much prefer the OI for my own use. If teaching I’d rather be in the Cat 4 for it’s maneuverability and extra volume (which I don’t need on my own). Guiding might be more of a toss-up depending on the group makeup and nature of the trip.

Maybe just a personal thing - but this seems in line with the design intents of the boats as well.

You could probably substitute “expedition” for “instructing/guiding”, as there is again a lot of overlap in qualities/characteristics that are proven good to have - and again everyone will draw the line just a little differently for themselves.

maneuverability…
One of the strengths of the Romany is its maneuverability. It is a boat with lots of rocker and a relatively flat hull.

It is a very good schooling boat. Most coaches I know use either a Romany or an Explorer for teaching. Most of them also use their NDK boat as the ‘regular’ boat.

I use my Romany for play and skills work. However if I’m going to be covering distances, camping, or in big water, I use my Aquanaut.

you may have missed the context

– Last Updated: Mar-29-06 9:32 PM EST –

Weirdly enough I agree partially with you about the needless killer stuff. Posts are not always easy to be clear about things.

I agree, and personally don't want to engage in the is is a killer thinking. Reason for my post was similar to yours actually, get in the boats see how they do what you need them to do etc. I think Jim was also saying pretty much what you are too.

That said, I try to not get into the personal tone and don't much like it when I err in that direction. Maybe you could still get the message out without the tone as well. Please take this in the best way not as lets get into it thing.

Paddle on,
Evan

Why post an opinion about something
where your comments don’t really mean anything? You haven’t paddled the boat so why say it needs to be changed? This is why message boards suck. This is almost as good as people who can’t roll giving rolling advice. If you don’t know anything why speak up, unless it’s to ask a question?