In praise of hammocks

In praise of trees
One who sings in praise of hammocks virtually sings in praise of trees. For where there are no trees (e.g. the beaches I like to camp on), one also finds no hammocks. Only bivvies and free standing tents.

and in the North East
there’s poison ivy. Where there are trees, there is poison ivy. I stopped using my hammock in the NE because of this. My back is very sorry.

Lyn

spinning out of control?
That’s just one man’s opinion. On the internet. Take it for what it’s worth.

Trees are good unless
one has a portable hammock stand. I found a really nice portable hammock stand made from steel tubing at my local Bed Bath & Beyond. Nicely painted in a light beige color and comes apart for easy transportation in the back of my truck to places like the beach.

Answer needed!!!
I have a ENO Doublenest, a Byers of Maine Moskito & a GI net hammock.

Was wondering if anyone has tried the Eureka Chrysalis Hammock System?

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-165-chrysalis-hammock-system.aspx

Seems like a great setup? Anyone have experience?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

How many hammocks do you have?
I’d like to hear the makes and models and what differentiates them enough to own 2 or more?

BTW, As well received as the screen modifications are I wonder why hammock manufacturers don’t just offer it as an option?

Bob

Without seeing it I might have this
wrong but it looks like you would incinerate in that baby. I just spent two nights in my Clark at the South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous and it was an amazing sleep, however, last night we got a pretty strong storm with heavy rains and wind. I tied my tarp low and made the sides as vertical as I could. No water got in , but there is mist that blows around so I closed the weather shield to keep the mist off. As my feet were facing the lake/storm, I was able to keep the weather shield and netting completely off me from chest up. If I were not able to do this I would have cooked myself through. Keeping the tarp high helps to keep you cool, but it can let the rain in. I am also amazed at how much cooler it is with the netting zipped open, so much more air flow. I have had a lifetime of back issues including surgery, and I have never slept better than in this hammock when camping. Once you are out, you don’t wake up until morning. The Clark NX-250 gets a big thumbs up from me. My friend a few campsites down gave up on the Henessey and went to another friends tent, the wind and rain were to much for his model. Bill

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

From Hammock Forums…
Eureka is a newcomer, with many other brands already established and with solid groups of followers. Consensus semms to be that it is heavy, claustropobic, and hot in the summer.

Jim

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5422&highlight=eureka

Hey Jim…

– Last Updated: Jun-13-10 5:18 PM EST –

Sorta thought you might have gone to the Solo get-together.....from the posts I've seen over the weekend, seems like a bunch of posters I know didn't go...... I had a nice time 2 years ago, but I sorta prefer small venues.....Maybe I'll see ya next week? With only one good tree in my bigass backyard, I really haven't tried my(your old) HH yet......really bumms me out......

Work responsibilities Rick.
I got back to work Tuesday, and immediately jumped into a major project. The kind with timetables, conference calls and deadlines, so my vacations for the summer will be severely limited. Hoping for Pymo in the early fall, and I really need a Raystown experience.

Jim

boy
and I thought a tent was heavy!

Heavy?
You bet it is! Ha-ha! But it sure comes in handy if I don’t have any other options and I want to hang. It’s definitely not practical.

Clark Question
I have a clark and have used it for 4+ years. I have improved the bottom insulation,but on hot nights, really wish for better ventilation-the no seeup mesh doesn’t let in enough air. Anybody come up with a solution other than unzipping and letting the mosquetos in?

Turtle

Simple answer…
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001021-Tent-Fan/dp/B0009PUPSS

Not for light backpacker types due to batteries, but…

Paddle easy,

Coffee