Inexpensive GPS

What is the difference . . .
. . . between CH and CHx?

love my garmin 72 for $95.
It has big screen with speed and distance on same screen in big letters. Took some time to program it that way. And control buttons are on the front. Very handy. The garmin has swam and and is very rugged. I used a 2in by 8in strip of thin aluminum as a bracket. Held to bracket with duct tape. Drilled small hole thru front of cowling. Used electrical bracket for inch conduit to fasten to thwart of canoe.

HC vs HCx
The “x” means it will accept a flash memory card. The HC only has 24 meg of non-expandble memory.

I have the whole of the west coast of Canada Topo, and one set of bluecharts and I still have lots of memory left over in my HC.

also
Avoid the models without the “H” in the name. The H means it’s using the new high sensitivity gps reciever. MUCH better performance in tree cover than the older models.

I was talking about the

– Last Updated: Nov-05-08 10:03 PM EST –

marine maps. The Garmin are $100 for each 200 mile area. Ouch.

The US topo maps only had a few western states that were also $100 each for a two state coverage.

keep in mind that the lowrance h2o is a high res screen, 16 channel Wass, that will pick up a signal in side your house. I have never lost a signal inside in my car or under thick trees.

The Nautic Path marine charts that cover the entire US, are identical to NOAA marine charts.

However, even a basic mono screen GPS is a very useful tool.

For the coastal areas, though, I like to know how deep it is in the tidal areas.

For kayaking the Lowrance H2O with Nautic Path is an over overkill, while Garmin with out nautical maps is underkill.