inland lake boating

Holidays
As nice as the boaters tend to be around these parts, I’ll often pass on 4th of July, etc. No big loss, as outside those few days it seems like I own the place more than not on more days than not (and always have it mostly to myself at night).

I’ve heard almost as many horror…
stories on here in Cali than back in MI.

Just last week a kayaker was saying how a sail boat team was dinking around with other boaters on purpose.

Holiday crowds
I suppose it’s a good idea to stay off crowded water on a holiday but I never imagined it to be that bad. Typically never had any problems there. During the week you almost have the whole lake to yourself.

Tom

they aren’t any better behind the wheel
If we go up to my inlaws on Lanier to work on their house, I usually bring my boat to go paddle while he hammers.

I’m just fine during the week. During the weekend, forget it.

Too many people with boats that are entirely WRONG (big ocean capable cabin cruisers and overpowered ski boats) and no awareness of anyone else on the lake and far too many alcoholic beverages.

The best part is when they get in their Escalades and Hummers and drive home - and they are just as bad as on the lake. Sometimes I’m even lucky enough to see 'em stopped on the side of 400 accompanied by the flashing lights of GA’s Finest : )

Fresh water vs. salt water paddling
Well, Ive had many close encounters in salt water creeks and back bays…As was said in another post

your best bet is to avoid marked channels, stick to

the shore line when possible and stay out of the lanes

power boats in your area are moving in…( again when possible)…I’m looking at moving away from the coast

so I’ll be kayaking primarly in lakes…If I have to

I’ll just kayak off season…I don’t like messing around with power boats…