insect repellant

I tried 2 differant brands
One was Cutter brand that had the picaridin in it cant remember the other but neither repelled mosquitoes at all for me so I gave up on the picaridin. Tried that lemon stuff BUT boy it really stinks of lemon.

I don’t use deet so I generally stick to treating cloths with the Permethrin. I mentioned deet as once my hat was getting some kind of fly landing on it so I borrowed some deet to spray just my hat which worked. Other wise I stick to treated cloths and or bug shirt. This one works very well http://www.bugshirt.com/

the mosquitos
Are also different.

not so fast…

check and compare MSDS for products differing in price but claiming the same compounds.

Once past vaguely fraudulent adverts there are consumers chemical issues for example commonly producing chemical A comes with chemicals B thru M with 3 of these in the AVOID category or USE OUTSIDE THE BUILDING when in facto you are about to spray the dog with it.

Costs $$$ to PURIFY the Chemical A solution so you have a price and quality difference.

A gray area is the inexpensive Chemical A was made in Lower Slobovia where the NNNNN there live in trees and go barefoot. So then what ? Well its one deal wearing the product, another eating it.

Permethrin…
Extremely toxic ta kitty-kats, so be real careful iffin’ yer gots dem.

FE

Permethrin…
You say Permethrin is toxic to cats EVEN when dry?? I thought the stuff was ONLY toxic when wet? Once dry I thought it was safe? Oh I don’t have any cats. My brother has cats so I don’t want to OFF one of his cats (:.

good advice

Me’believes it’s toxic dry too…
Ah’s gots a cat an’ never use de stuff jus’ ta play it safe.

Fro’ Wikipedia…

Pesticide-grade permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated with permethrin.

Permethrin is not tolerated in cats; It causes symptoms like convulsion, hyperaesthesia, hyperthermia, hypersalivation, loss of balance… These symptoms can be reversed with rapid and aggressive treatment by an experienced veterinarian, otherwise the poisoning is normally fatal. This intolerance is due to a defect in glucuronosyltransferase, a common detoxification enzyme in other mammals (that also makes the cat intolerant to paracetamol and many essential oils). The use of any external parasiticides based with permethrin is against-indicated in the cat. (Cat ecotoxicology : cutaneous 100 mg·kg - Oral 200 mg·kg.)

Toxicology and safety

Permethrin acts as a neurotoxin, slowing down the nervous system through binding to sodium channels. This action is negatively correlated to temperature, thus, in general, showing more acute effects on cold-blooded animals (insects, fish, frogs, etc.) over warm-blooded animals (mammals and birds):

Permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic life in general, so extreme care must be taken when using products containing permethrin near water sources.

Permethrin is also highly toxic to cats, and flea and tick-repellent formulas intended and labeled for (the more resistant) dogs may contain permethrin and cause feline permethrin toxicosis in cats.

Very high doses have tangible neurotoxic effects on mammals and birds, including human beings.

Permethrin is listed as a “restricted use” substance by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)due to its high toxicity to aquatic organisms, so permethrin and permethrin-contaminated water should be properly disposed. Permethrin is quite stable, having a half life of 51–71 days in an aqueous environment exposed to light. It is also highly persistent in soil.

:

– Last Updated: Apr-28-15 5:16 PM EST –

Good one thaar, JackL. :>)))))

FE

After Reading All These Posts
I’m glad my biggest worry are rattlesnakes.