Installed my electric Bilge pump

Pump in action
Yes I saw that video before I decided on my pump install. Much better video than mine, lol. I did my pump myself(no kit) because they want 400 bucks for that kit plus it uses a Lithium Ion battery. Lithium Polymer is better battery.Plus I already owned the special charger for LIPO batteries.

But this was exact reason I chose to do the Electric Pump because I sometimes paddle along so no one to stabilize the boat when trying to use a hand pump. Plus I tried last summer to pump out my boat with my spray skirt on and it was very difficult to do with calm conditions let along rough. Skirt kept popping off when I tried getting it down the side and forget getting it down the tunnel as its half way up under my PFD. Oh and I got caught out in storm on Lake Ontario even though there was nothing in weather forecast about one. Helps to have a solid roll too.

good info
Been meaning to do this for a while. As several people mentioned, it’s really best for higher level kayakers who can roll and re enter and roll. Even on a surf launch waves can get in before you get your skirt on. It’s just one more layer of defense, just like rescues and self rescues the more options you have the better.

And there is always cheap, down, and
Ugly!

You can find a submersible battery powered sump pump (4 standard “D” cells) for less than 40 bucks. Mounting is only limited by your imagination.

D.

Twelve Apostles?
:slight_smile:

One of the places on my wish list.

nice work
Beautiful boat BTW. I love the color combo.

There is a place
for an electric pump in kayaks. It doesn’t mean you don’t bring your manual pumps as well, it just means that, when it is working, you have the ability to empty the boat and still have one’s hands free for other activities.

I’ve seen pumps work very effectively (though most systems I’ve seen installed direct the water out the side) in rescue simulations. The speed with which an assisted rescue puts the paddler buttoned up into the boat as the system drains it is MUCH faster and efficient. For self rescues, or especially paddle float rescues, the kayaker can re-enter the boat and spend their time getting back under way much more quickly (pumping a boat out by hand or foot takes a long time and the stability is usually compromised until it is more than 50% empty).

If you are concerned about becoming dependent upon a system that has a decent probability of failure over time, that is a potential concern, so even with such a system, you need to practice with the backup rescue systems that have the advantage of being more reliable (though I’ve had hand pumps fail, as well).

The reason I don’t have an electric system on my boat(s) is due mostly to the maintenance issue. As has been pointed out, salt water is hell on metals and worse where electrical connections are involved. Each time you open a waterproof system, you risk compromising its integrity. Inspections and maintenance are necessary, however, so you have to open them up every now and then.

This is a common problem for SCUBA divers. Cameras, cases, flashlights, and the like all have seals which can be fouled. The subsequent leaks are often fatal (flashlights, for example, are opened a lot, often in sandy environments). O-rings are subject to wear and tear and need to be inspected and maintained. Sometimes, they are in perfectly good shape, but they get out of their track and pinched and leak.

So, if it works for you, that’s great. I think systems like this can provide a definite safety advantage, but it’s not without its cost.

Rick

like it BUT
i really like the pump very nice. tempting to let some water in to surprise some people going by. my only concern is the lipo. i have seen plenty of these burn up and exploded a couple of my old ones (on purpose). what do you have set up so you dont overdraw the lipo when it is low on charge or in case it stays on too long?

i had a buddy lose a $500 rc car cause it was on the wrong setting and the lipo drained down to low. i know on most videos you see people will shoot them but they make a fire proof bag for a reason. wouldnt want one going up in flames inside a hatch.

im not knocking your set up cause i really do like it, but plenty of time with lipo’s one learns to respect them. so if anyone is looking at this, know what they can do please research and ask questions.

Lipos are safe
Lipo batteries have a possibility to catch fire when there being charged not in use unless you draw to much out of it too fast. I have a 3 amp inline fuse to protect from that. Battery doesnt even get warm for what I draw from it pumping.

Charging is done via a balance charger that monitors cell voltage as its being charged. I charge it in a large flower pot ONLY when Iam there to watch it. Never had a problem with balance charging. Its when people don’t balance charge they have the risk of fire. they don’t explode just go up in flames quickly.

So lipos are perfectly safe if you know how to use them properly. I have flown RC planes with them for several years now and others in my flying club even longer. Had one go up in flames after a bad crash were the battery was ripped apart which exposed contacts and shorted it out. Not going to happen unless I fall of edge of earth kayaking, lol.