Invasive Species Inspection and Kayaks

One of the lakes I frequent here in NJ has Milfoil. As a rule, I wash my boat out thoroughly after I’ve paddled there. After every outing, no matter where, I wash the boat I’ve used.

@pikabike said:

@magooch said:
The stupid lawmakers in Oregon thought it would be a good idea to require a permit for kayaks and other boats to use the Columbia River. Meanwhile, huge ships from all over the world ply the waters of the Columbia and no one seems to give a rip how many foreign species are deposited from ships. It’s all about the permit fee.

Stop and think why this is the case.

Huge oceangoing ships do not go into smaller bodies of water. Recreational boats do, thus potentially spreading contamination. They probably assume the Columbia has AIS already, thanks to those ships.

Yeah, but that does not explain why Oregon requires a permit for the Columbia river below Bonneville. I live in Washington and the law allows Washington and Idaho folks to even launch in Oregon as long as we launch within one mile of the Columbia. I’ve never seen anyone checking anyway.

It just seems to me that some lawmakers are real quick to make laws about something they know nothing about, but if there is a fee involved, they’re all for it.