Is 17ft overkill?

Unless stored outside in sun age ok
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1151

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=814

Usually newer models are better but not always. Some get changed for manufacturing reasons, others for the newest trend.

Tsunami 145…
That is a pretty good deal you cite, but just to warn ya… the Tsunami 145 is definitely designed for BIG boys, in my experience. At 5’8" 190 lbs, you’re more like medium-sized.

Let’s put it this way- I’ve paddled a 145, and even though I’m taller and heavier than you (by about 35 lbs, presently), the 145 felt very much like a barge to me.

Too much buoyancy, hard to shove around, and it was hard to swim up on its tall back deck as part of some self-rescue practice (all that buoyancy might’ve been working against me there too).

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a decent boat, and you could get away with using it just fine, probably… but I think the ‘sweet spot’ for paddler size in its design is for someone considerably bigger/heavier than you (and me). I also don’t remember it being so great to edge, either.

That’s what I was thinking
after reading up on it some more. Oh well! I’ll keep looking!

Go with 17+ feet
I have never heard a kayaker say “I need a shorter kayak”. If anything the opposite is true.

I went from 13’ to 15’ to 17’ to 17.5’ and now I’m at 18.5’.

Just skip all those steps and go with 17’.

:wink:
“I have never heard a kayaker say “I need a shorter kayak”. If anything the opposite is true.”

You’ve been around the wrong people.

shorter
I went from 14.5’ to 12’ & love it!

Lighter to carry, quicker, more manuverable, and still big enough to get 'er done.

another model suggestion
You’re exactly the size of my boyfriend who has 3 kayaks himself and has used several of mine (up to 18’). Of all the models we have his very favorite is my Venture Easky 15LV. There’s a thread on here at the moment where the OP asks for feedback on the 15LV if you want to check out other comments about it. For the same price point as the Tsunamis of similar size I think it’s a nicer boat. The LV is for low volume which means it is suitable for small to medium sized people. The 15’ length is long enough to be fast and track well yet is still maneuverable and at 44 pounds it is about 10 to 20% lighter than most other rotomolds in its class. I have even used it in some mild Class II streams as well as open water. It’s just a fun responsive boat. If I had to keep just one kayak for all around use it would probably be the Easky.

The biggest problem is locating one to test. They are manufactured in Great Britain and dealers are not that common here. REI used to carry them but does not seem to do so anymore.

I think it is overkill for most.
Lots of paddlers have gone to the 14 foot sized boats and their daily mileage is the same and the boat handles better. Some say their daily mileage is better with the shorter boats.

I shared some ideas about it here. You can also see a treatise of the subject on Cape Falcon Kayak’s site I think as he recommends a 14 foot boat for most.

http://paddlingandsailing.blogspot.com/2012/05/rec-boat-vs-sea-kayak.html

Good article…
…though I personally don’t classify boats the same way you do.

To me,

‘Rec kayak’ = boat lacking front & rear bulkheads (usually only has the rear), little or no deck rigging/perimeter lines, insufficient buoyancy, very slow, and basically unsafe.

‘Transitional/day-tourer’ = A boat that is basically safe (dual bulkheads, good perimeter lines/deck rigging, sufficient buoyancy), but which, due to reasons of insufficient length or too much width/beam, do not quite meet the classical definition of ‘sea kayak’.

‘Sea kayak’= Long, skinny, safe boats with all the trimmings.

functional length
Actually, boats like the Easkys with the extended Greenland style bow have a shorter waterline – my 15LV’s WL is a bit less than 14’ so close to the shorter kayaks you espouse.

Length is far from an absolute measure of functionality. Weight and hull shape are more important. There are long barges and short sylphs. On the other hand, I can outdistance most anyone else I paddle with in my 18 footer in part because it only weighs 31 lbs and tracks like a laser.

That’s a good classification.

Enough or more than enough
The 14’ is enough, and it will be better matched to what your friends paddle. It also sounds as though your transportation requirements are better suited to the shorter boat. If you could put more than enough gear in the 12-footers, then 14’ will be fine.

If it were me, I’d go with the shorter boat and if that later ended up being “not enough” (longer trips) then I’d sell it and shop for a longer one.

Overkill has a negative connotation. The 17’ is more than enough for what you listed as your paddling desires and it’ll probably be less maneuverable in twisty narrow stuff. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad choice; depends on whether your stated wants will change to include longer trips or different venues.