Is a lighter paddle REALLY worth it?

Aquabound!
Go for the Manta Ray carbon shaft. For under $200 you get a light, powerful paddle that you can go all day long with.

I like it so much that I bought a second one as my backup.

Really fantastic value for your money.

Better technique
Will make a significant difference. Most fiberglass shaft paddles will be better than your Cannon. Even a $110 Aquabound Stingray is an improvement . You could spend more if you have more. There isn’t a compelling reason to get a $300+ paddle for your application.

Yes, but…
if you normally paddle with a not-as-light one, then the light one will be a joy on multiday trips or longer day paddles. I only use my lightweight paddle for multiday trips. The regular paddle is not heavy; it’s just not light.

Ditch the aluminum shaft paddle for another reason, too: It is COLD in cold weather/water.

Thanks!
Appreciate the excellent feedback, folks!

I am going to be sticking with my Tarpon 100 for a long while yet…I’ve been lucky to be able to try a LOT of other kayaks and (for my needs) this Tarpon is head and shoulders above the rest.

Sure, I have seen a couple 2500 dollar Yaks that I’d love to get, but I won’t be entering that price point for years to come. I’ll ride this Tarpon till she collapses.

I’m putting a new paddle up top on my xmas list…then I can keep my Cannon’s for spares. Hoping to pick up a “guest” kayak off Criagslist in December as well. I get asked by interested friends all the time!

Yak on!

Free weight loss
The difference in upgrades is partly a matter of ounces. If your paddle has drip rings, you can reduce swing weight just by removing them. IMO, they’re not very effective anyway.

In a word, YES!

– Last Updated: Jul-15-13 9:23 AM EST –

If you are serious about paddling and want to go long distances, a light paddle is definitely worth the several hundred bucks you pay for it.

I used to be like you in my early days of paddling, doubtful about paying big bucks for a "stupid stick" for pulling water. But after I tested my friend's full-carbon Werner Kalliste, I was sold! Now I have several lighweight carbon paddles: a Werner Camano and Werner Cyprus for kayaking and solo canoeing, two carbon bent-shaft Bartons for canoeing and a straight-shaft Zaveral (ZRE) that I cut down for single-blade kayaking.

I still use wooden paddles for both kayaking and canoeing, but when I am tired, the lightweight paddles are a godsend.

^THIS
is exactly right. I stupidly bought my paddle upgrade before my boat upgrade and made this exact mistake. Wise words.

In a word: YES
For what it’s worth, the best Kayak Paddles, Adventure Tech, Onno, Werner are carbon and cost ~$450 in the better, bent, configurations which weight around 20 oz.

One can find good price pointed paddles from BB and Fox among others, but eschew injection molded blades. They put weight where it is most dysfunctional; at the ends of the stick.

math
lets assume 25 strokes per minute.

(please feel free to comment on this).

25 strokes per minutes =1500 strokes per hour

x 4 hours =6000 strokes.

now lets say your new paddle is 10oz. lighter

6000 strokes x 10oz saved per = 60,000 oz= 3750 lbs.

3750 lbs you didnt lift that afternoon.

Just sayin’

Love
my Cannon aluminum shaft paddle…built strong, but a little on the heavy side at 240cm length and made in USA! They also make carbon and fiberglass shaft paddles too.

Lies all lies and misinformation.
In a couple hours paddle weight means very little. I hear this 1000 strokes per mile stuff but most folks put in far fewer strokes per mile.

What does make a huge difference is blade shape, blade length, and shaft length.

I would try a bunch of paddles. When with others ask to try theirs for five minutes, most will let you. They are proud of their choices and want to share.

Once you figure out the style of blade you want, I suggest you get an adjustable shaft length paddle. Now you can use the one paddle for surfing or long tours.

Weight starts to make a real difference I can feel after four hours not before.

Weight noticed by me immediately.
Especially with wood canoe paddles vs carbon canoe paddles.

Blade size is also very important to me. I prefer smaller than most people.

No, it’s neither lies nor misinformation
It’s not a matter of time. It’s more about how you paddle. If you just putter around lily dipping, any old heavy piece of junk paddle will get you around all day long.

But if you want to get somewhere and move along at a good clip without getting too tired, the light paddle will help you from the first stroke.

Agree strongly
Weight, material, shape and size of blades: all noticed by me immediately, though things do get worse as the day goes on with the wrong paddle.

For many people affordability is a major issue. Some people would rather put an extra $400, if they had it, on the kayak rather than the paddle. It makes sense to gradually increase the quality of both the kayak and the paddle as your committment to the sport increases.

For the OP the best course is to keep an eye on Craigslist. I see amazing deals on paddles there. Bogmonkey, increase your budget to $150 and you should be able to find a good used paddle. It might have a carbon shaft and fiberglass blades, like the Aquabound Stingray, which is a good place to start.

My favorite strategy for getting a free paddle is to buy a kayak on Craigslist that happens to come with a great paddle and resell the kayak for a profit.

I’m with you
I’m sure weight makes a difference but the factors you mention I’d imagine would make more.

That, and the math formula doesn’t tell me a thing about how the difference in weight FEELS.

just pick them up
i am in the dont have extra $ group.

So, my 10 year old plastic 14’ SOt has 8 or 9 thousand miles and countless hours on it.

my original $50 paddle is a heavy back-up while i use a higher end (still low end in the peformance paddle market) paddle exclusively.

Feel the difference? just pick them up. Scale, no scale. 1 hour, 2 hours. 1 mile or 20. eyes opened or closed. i can feel the difference.i am guessing,

much in the same way a more experienced, more geared up paddler would feel the diference between 2 high end paddles, say an ONNO and a Werner Ikelos.

Getting real
Being realistic, you’re probably not going to do any long distance paddling in a 10’ boat, so I would wait until you do get your next boat. You will be looking for a longer boat sooner than you think.

To the person who said drip rings aren’t very effective–try adjusting them to where they aren’t dipping in the water.

Sounds like an Onno full tour
would work for you, and for a long time.

Call or email Pat at Onno and present your case.

I have 3 Onnos, and about a dozen others varied, and keep going back to my Onno full tour. The mid tour is also an outstanding power return with minimum effort paddle.

have Pat make your Onno heavy
A little more weight will not affect your speed.

Try it with a gps some time. Shape and length make a huge difference in sprint speed and in 20 mile speed. But weight makes little difference in the first 10 miles.

Are good paddles worth it? You bet!!! But the weight is like boat weight. Better to lose 2 ounces of arm fat than paddle fat.

Maybe Mid Tour - Full Tour is BIG.
Full Tour is too big for me, but is light.