Is an inexpensive drysuit without socks or relief zipper worth buying?

If you have a Gore-Tex drysuit that Kokatat refuses to replace because you’re not the original owner, go directly to Gore. More than likely, they’ll cover it.

1 Like

Your water temp estimate?

I was curious about this thread title as I’m packing up for scuba in the Alpine Lake just to take some pictures (~15 minutes max?) I’ll be trying a 5 mil and a hooded vest for ~65 F ish

If you have a good instructor it can make the difference in rolling the first time or injuring your shoulder because it isn’t about strength. I was originally taught a fairly sloppy method and did hurt my shoulder (method IMO)

I went to Mexico Sea of Cortez (with the separated rotator) and here is my instructor:

Both my husband and I rolled the first time with her method of starting in this position and then sitting up. Then we would start in the upright and roll to upside down (slight pause) then back to side and pop using braced knees. The Greenland paddle made the difference for me until I had the mechanics down. After that I could conceptualize the planes of a regular Werner paddle.
(Do you call those Euro?)

I’m now looking for a better kayak for rolling. I’m considering a Sterling illusion (near my home in PNW) or a UK Romany but still learning about hull design. I’m planning on wearing a 1-2 mil or a Lavacore in ~19 C. I’ll know in a couple weeks if this is possible.

I find (with free diving) that if I have a lot of calories on board I can stay warmer than going in hungry FWIW.

main point to that ramble:

She made us move and control the kayak with our hips and legs before ever trying to engage our shoulders against the resistance of the water.

1 Like

If you want to try something that will blow your mind, learn to roll using your GP extended. Done properly, it’s a slow, smooth, nearly effortless method that’s so easy that it’s almost relaxing. You’ll be amazed how easily you’ll end up resting on the aft deck looking up at the sky.

2 Likes

Are you saying sweep the GP?

Would it be a lot harder in my Current Design 17ft?

I’d like to see an example

This is a Rotisserie, where you roll down and then up on the other side. A standard roll is where you just drop over and then roll up on the other side. Slow motion is the idea.

2 Likes

Or with a little weight on the deck

2 Likes

The standard Greenland roll is a tremendously powerful roll

1 Like

I want to get good at that

1 Like

Excellent instruction opportunity at https://www.delmarvapaddlersretreat.org/ on the East Coast in October. Or check Events list at QajaqUSA.org for other events/locations.

1 Like

Here is something to help work on a standard roll

1 Like

The last time I sent my partner’s dry suit in (this past winter or late last year), they did ask for a copy of the receipt. Seems that at some point maybe 8-10 years ago they switched from paddler’s lifetime to reasonable lifetime of dry suit.

Her’s was purchased long enough ago that it was warrantied. But I have heard of many folks who had more recent gear which did delaminate but was not warrantied as it was considered outside the reasonable life of the dry suit.

1 Like

I hope the summer lasts long enough (water temp) for me practice a lot.

She really breaks it down. I think she is demonstrating how shallow the paddle stays?

Can you estimate how easy a CD 17’ solstice would be to roll compared to Romeny? 1-10

Leave the rudder up I’m guessing?

IMO, that’s pretty sleazy, as the Gore warranty on the fabric is lifetime, period. Plus, Kokatat is definitely charging a premium for Gore-Tex suits. If Kokatat doesn’t cover a delaminated suit, go direct to Gore and they probably will. I would also complain to them that Kokatat is not honoring the fabric warranty, though I’d be surprised if they weren’t aware of it by now.

I don’t know about the Solstice, but the Romany is very easy to roll. I was actually quite surprised how easy the first time I tried one.

That said, the Romany may be heavier even though it’s shorter (in case that matters to you) and unless something has changed, the construction quality of the Solstice is likely much higher. NDK/SKUK kayaks are notorious for poor quality, overweight construction, though I hope that’s improved. It’s a shame, as the designs are quite good, which is the only reason they’ve survived their quality issues. I certainly wouldn’t buy an older one, as I’ve repaired a few and seen how they were built.

1 Like

[quote=“MohaveFlyer, post:24, topic:124013”]
Are you saying sweep the GP?[/quote]

Definitely. The strength of the GP design is in the lift it produces. Scull it slowly to get a feel for that. Sweep it slowly and smoothly, just below the surface of the water when rolling and it’s almost effortless.

If you’re being taught standard bracing and rolling by an ACA or BCU instructor, try to find someone who’s experienced with GPs, as the paddling, bracing and rolling techniques are dramatically different. While you can use the techniques developed for a Euro paddles and whitewater paddling with a GP, they’re far from optimum and don’t take advantage of the GP’s strengths.
For more GP info, check out Qajaq USA at: www.qajaqusa.org

Often, one of the biggest determining factors in ease of rolling is the height of the aft deck and whether you can lay back on it comfortably or not (the height of the front deck also matters for forward-finishing rolls). The length of the boat is almost irrelevant, but the beam width and overall design of the hull matter a lot. Wider, flatter hulls are more difficult to roll than narrower, rounder (or more V-shaped) hulls.

I guess we’ve pretty well hijacked this thread. :blush:

1 Like

Hijack away. It’s all leading to the same desired outcome.

Ok! That’s what I was after :+1:t3:I agree they roll themselves. I want a more playful boat thank the Solstice but I’d keep it since it is worth more to me than what I could get for it ()

So maybe the sterling Illusion would be comparable but better quality than the Romany?

also I saw this handmade one from Finland here that was not as expensive as the Illusion.

Beaufort (Skim)

I’m waiting for my old man’s ship to come in :wink:

I could use the VAT (19%) exemption which makes tempting.

@bnystrom

Thanks for the explanation.
There are no instructors around here in the places we want to go so I have to ask questions and figure it out.

@3meterswell can give you some thoughts on the Sterling Illusion.

sing

1 Like

The Romany is a significantly better rolling kayak than the Soltice series. It will stick the roll better because of it’s hull shape. It also has a lower back deck which makes learning easier. The paddle doesn’t have to stay or actually be on the surface, but it all make’s learning easier.

Once you learn to roll in an easy rolling kayak, the skill is transferable to other less roll friendly kayaks. You need to figure out what you are looking for to make the roll happen. It has to be felt, explaining doesn’t really work.

On land, the fetal position is generally thought as a safe/ go to position when in stress. With rolling it is opposite, spread out is a better go to position. Everything is opposite from what a person has thought all their life. Water fingers buoy you up instead of gravity pulling you down etc etc etc. Until feeling the rolling it is difficult to visualize But it is effortless if using the water instead of muscle power. Think Tai Chi or Yoga. Yoga for Balance Brace. Tai Chi for rolling and energy transfer.

Best Wishes
Roy

2 Likes