is Gore-Tex really worth the big $$$

LMAO!! That is called…
A “dusting” up here. LOL!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

sprayskirts
Hey when I lived in Evergladeas city I used a sympatek sprayskirt and it worked great and was alot cooler than a coated nylon. But most of the summer I paddled without a skirt except when it was raining or the water was really rough. I still use the same skirt most of the time up here in Alaska but I wear a goretex drysuit underneath it and and I paddle year round!

Fridgid and in the 50s?
Mr. Man. Don’t waste your money on Gortex. Up here in NH, YES, Gortex is worth the bucks. Where you are, I don’t think so.

Your money may be better spent with another cooler to keep the beverages cold.

Sherpa

Good Everywhere
Gore-tex is a good product no matter where you live. The new pro-shell breaths like a dream, is water-proof, and fits snug for those florida rains. As for the boots discussed earlier in the thread, gore-tex needs to periodically be sprayed, or have a waterproofing agent applied to make the material waterproof again. This is not a gore-tex problem, but a maintenence issue. DWR (durable water repellent) is a chemical coating applied to the outer surface of rainwear, which causes water to bead up and roll off, rather than being absorbed by the fabric.

When DWR fails due to age, dirt, friction etc. water will saturate (“wet out”) the outer fabric. This might cause you to feel cold and clammy, and can cause faster heat loss. Additionally, the garment is heavier.

DWR can be revived by washing and drying - although it will lose a little of its repellency with each washing. DWR can be

re-treated and restored to like-new repellency with a bottled product such as Revivex.