Is Ocean Paddling Becoming Pay to Play?

very true NM

I wish paddlers in my area would get…
I wish paddlers in my area would get training enough to pass an ACA L4 open water instructor certification. Heck even an L3 would prove entertaining. I wish paddlers in my area would get any type of training, or have any type of inclination to paddle anything above flat water conditions. I’ve been lucky to meet a few good paddlers who helped me get better at paddling by exposing me to challenging conditions, and I’ve sought out training to help with my progression. And I’ve met people who have got good training and got pretty good at paddling quickly, who enjoy challenging themselves, and these are the people I enjoy paddling with. But they are a small handful. Otherwise its lots of big fish in a small pond in my area, where a pool roll qualifies someone as an “experienced” paddler, even though they don’t surf, paddle rough water, or do anything other than paddle flat water, yet are looked upon as “experienced” paddlers for no good reason. Very strange, especially because there are a few small but interesting features near me that are great for training or playing in, but seldom few take advantage of…

I hope not
I just moved from an inland, sea-kayaker-scarce area to a coastal location. Maybe it’s stupid of me, but if there aren’t others to go with, I just go by myself. That’s true regardless whether it’s paddling, biking, hiking, or whatever. I make sure the expected conditions are within my abilities, with a extra-healthy margin of safety. Sure, if there was a regular group of skilled paddlers, I could push the edges more. But it’s better to go out and use extra caution than to not go at all.

I’ve attended 3 symposia, mainly because it’s an especially good event for those people who do not live near the sea. I look at them as opportunities to find out more about what I need to learn, rather than as the place/time to go into those things in depth. The ones I’ve gone to have allowed me to learn from some of those “name” instructors as well as less-well-known ones. At one of them, the light really came on as to how important navigation was for ocean paddling. All the previous reading and “being told” didn’t have the impact that a simple demonstration did.

Now, what you’re getting at is higher-level stuff, but I think the basic question still applies. Are skilled paddlers abandoning just-going-paddling for pay opportunities? At least, I think that’s what you asked. Regardless whether or not they are, it won’t keep me from going paddling. The scenario you describe sounds like the best-skilled paddlers are only paddling with each other or helping “lower” paddlers for money only. I have a hard time believing that’s true in general.

Dwindling attendance
I get the impression that’s true of symposia overall, not just the SW one.

That seems reasonably priced …
I was thinking that was going to be a lot more expensive.

Might be worth paying to play …

It’s a really fun spot. But rocks and seakayaks are not my thing. Kind of like having the wrong tool for the job.

Yes, that event fee does sound…

– Last Updated: Feb-01-13 8:16 AM EST –

proper and reasonable.
My response isn't geard towards symposiums or instructional events.
It was geared towards the OP's question on paddlers wanting to charge him to paddle with them.
I didn't know he was refeering to a specific instructional gathering or event.

By the way, I very much miss the Wrightsville Beach Sea kayak race. That was a good group of people

Jack L

Paddling for fun
Pro or not, if you’re not paddling for fun, you’re probably not that into paddling. In my experience, those who only paddle when they’re working, aren’t really dedicated paddlers, and tend not to develop their skills. If it’s just a job, and you’re not looking for days that you can spend on the water with friends/peers, then it really is just a job.

Leading/teaching folks on the water is totally different than playing with friends. They both have their rewards, but you can’t cut loose and push your limits when you’re responsible for others.

So, if you’re running into people who don’t paddle for fun at all, you probably don’t want to paddle with them anyways. On the other hand, if you’re meeting pros at shops or outfitters, and wondering why they don’t want to paddle with you for free, then it’s another issue - they may not be inclined to spend a day with someone who’s skills they know nothing about, and can you blame them?

Meet-Ups

– Last Updated: Feb-02-13 10:04 AM EST –

Search the Meetup site. If what you want is not there, start one yourself. It works. You can set your own criteria.

Example of thriving free beginners included kayaking group quickly advancing as instruction and pool practices are organized:

http://www.meetup.com/Kayak-Portland/

Meetup is good software for group outings.

I solved the nobody-available by training a water rescue buddy.

Always Enthusiastic
and ready to paddle, rescue, practice