Is sea kayaking somehow limited to older folks?

Kneiger is our new winner. 30 YO. I wonder if anyone here can beat that?
Where are you kneiger? And what kind of job are you doing?

All you say makes since to me Jyak. My youngest kayaking friend is Thor, the big guy. (6’ 5" 268 pounds) He’s also single and has no kids, but he gets pulled away from water for the reason of having a few other interests too. Shooting is one of them. In fact, that’s how I met him when I was still instructing professionally he was one of my students. He was brand new to shooting and was a friend of a friend, Hannes, who also was one of my students form about 40 years ago. He works at the skills long enough to end up owning a school in lander Wyoming that teaches defensive tactics, emergency procedures in medical and evacuation emergencies and defensive driving and vehicle tactics. he was my student when he was 23 years old when he lived in Reno and I have kept a close friendship with him all these years. He brought Thor “into the fold”. I was called on by Hannes many times classes to teach some of those classes and that’s how I met Thor when he was 19. Now he is 31. Thor is now a black belt in Taekwondo and has his own students, so that also keeps him occupied at times.

It seems we all have 2 major problems.

#1 is time (days months and years) goes too fast.
#2 is money is too hard to get.

Another issue I think inhibits younger folks from going all in on sea kayaking is that you need a place to store and a vehicle to transport such large boats. It’s increasingly costly for younger people to find housing that can accommodate kayak storage. I went through that myself for the prior 19 years owning a home with no garage or driveway or any place to install either. That’s one reason why I mostly owned folding kayaks (which are much more commonly popular in Europe and Asia than in the US due to the domestic storage space challenges of residents in the urban areas of those parts of the world.) Fortunately I had a couple of properties I could sell this year to buy a place with huge garage and parking space which has greatly simplified storage and handling of my fleet. Since I turned 73 a few months ago, no longer having to hump long boats out of my walk out basement and up a hill and a flight of steps to the street is a major blessing!

I do have a mea culpa here about the issue at hand: I have been so generous over the years in sharing my own large fleet of kayaks and the necessary accessory gear with my friends and family members, that none of them have bothered to buy their own kit. I did gift a pair of kayaks, paddles, skirts and PFDs to my younger brother and sister in law some years ago and they have gotten regular use from them. But not one of my other friends or kin has popped for their own boat! They count on me bringing extra craft with me to outfit them when I visit. I could stop “enabling” but then I would end up paddling alone too often. I have at times threatened to charge a rental fee (to encourage them to invest in their own kit.) But by now I have spoiled them.

I don’t think cost of quality kayaks is that big an obstacle to younger people, many of whom don’t blink at spending $1000 every few years on a new phone or hundreds of dollars on designer shoes and clothing that they consider “out of style” within months. Difficulty of immediate gratification access to boats may be an issue – younger people often want to have what they want immediately and lack the patience to wait or have to plan in advance to obtain a desired object.

As to whether or not sea kayaking is a waning sport, my feeling is that it is increasing in popularity, though I admit I have the “insiders bias” in being so interested that I probably exaggerate its overall fandom. It does seem like it is experiencing a resurgence among younger people in Europe.

I worked for years in the wilderness sports biz and have stayed connected to that through membership in a multi-sport outdoor adventures club. The fact is that popularity of various adventure sports fluctuates over time. The early 70’s had a huge bump in backpacking and the late 70’s and early 80’s there was a bulge in rock climbing, whitewater kayaking and Nordic skiing. The 80’s saw the surge in mountain biking, fly fishing, windsurfing and extreme sport climbing, then Alpine mountaineering (which had been big in the 1960’s) went big time in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. The rise of SUP’s popularity in the past decade has edged out kayak outfitting in tourism destinations – on a trip to Lake Tahoe in 2016 three of the 4 outfitters there who had previously had large kayak rental liveries had reduced or eliminated them to replace with SUP stables. (I did snag some excellent deals on kayak accessories that they were dumping at bargain basement prices.)

But I see signs in the market that there is greater public interest in open water and coastal kayaking – definitely an increase in the number of companies making boats (despite a lot of major consolidations) and a lot of innovation in lighter and compact transportable models like ultralight layups and higher performance folding and inflatable boats.

As to the popularity of touring kayaks amongst us geezers: I moved out of town in 1996 to a city on one of the Great Lakes and started doing coastal kayaking while there. When I move back to Pittsburgh in 2004 I reconnected with my old pals in the Explorers Club, in which I had been active since 1972. I noticed that a large proportion of the folks in my age cohort that I had known for decades as avid mountaineers, white water paddlers, rock climbers, rad mountain bikers, etc., were now (like myself) mostly concentrating on flatwater paddling (kayak touring, canoeing and even dragon boating). I had an epiphany while talking to one old friend who had been absolutely a madman at every one of the extreme sports but now mostly kayaked. I commented that sea kayaking was the last sport we could show up for where we still looked way cool but which we could do sitting down and which didn’t beat us up at much as those sports of our youth. He bellowed with laughter and admitted that I was absolutely right.

3 Likes

Trends go up and down, too.

Road biking was hugely popular in the 1970s and remained so until mtbing eclipsed its “cool factor.” BUT after more roadies added mtbing to their activities—and began consistently dusting mtb-only racers—a lot of serious mtbers then added road cycling to their training. Now most people who ride do both.

We might see some SUPers who love paddling decide they want to be able to do all the fantastic maneuvers that rockered SINKs can do, by virtue of edging. Or they want to camp with gear stowed in watertight, closed-in, streamlined hatches. Or they just get tired of standing up fully exposed to cold spray!

@willowleaf, I agree that storage and transportation is a major problem. Several members living on the water mentioned having storage issues, proving that waterfront ownership doesn’t always solve the problem. My daughter can’t build a shed for the boats on the water front side of the house, and her shed is probavly 300 yards from the water. It’s easier for me to launch from my truck at a public launch, because she hasn’t funished grading and the temporary dog fences on the side of the house and mid-yard don’t have gates yet. My kayaks and canoes compete with their things for storage space.

I also agree that the price of a good starter kayak
paddle and PFD is a one time cost, privided that a person has an interest to endure paddling on the water as an option. It only requires desire and commitment, finances, access, portability, storage, and time. That’s a lot to require 7 stars to align. The primary reason I replaced my trusty S10 that failed after 22 years is to transport the kayak. That was a $38k investment, to transport $2,000 in boat and gear.

I kept all my boats. When I buy a boat for myself, it’s new, because I’ll use it until I wear it out. I did buy one new and several used boats for my grand daughters, my nephew, and my sister who eventually bought her own boat. It’ll be up to them to pick a boat if they grow out of the used boat. My goal isn’t to influence them, because the commitment is up to each individual; presently, my grand daughters have more interest in volleyball. All I can do is ensure they understand safety and develop sound technique and handling skills.

I prefer to support local shops, but a successful business model is up to each vendor. We help shape supply and demand, but a shop can only survive by providing a service on top of the product. I have access to three quality shops and respect each equally. The survival of each depends on capturing my attention. Distance is not an issue; despite travel time of 50, 90 or 120 minutes, my support goes to the one that has what I need and works to put it in my possession. I was ready to buy a Delta 15.5, but tbe shop was not willing to offer a test paddle. So the shop lost that sale, and I gave up the desire to upgrade. My job didn’t depend on catering to a fickle public, so my obligation to a shop only goes so far.

Your description of how activities peak and wane is simple reality. I backpacked and camped. Knees stopped the hiking for now and backpacking is no longer in the stars, but I have a renewed interest in tent camping. I also resurrected my bicycling interest, but have not acted on it.

Sales personnel, manufactures and clubs have a large role in stimulating interest. The same is true of municipalities. Rather than charge a stupid use fee, it might be more beneficial to offer free launch sites for rooftop water craft. Attract tourists who book hotel rooms, patronize restaurants, stimulate shopping and may even offer opportunities for paddle related sales, rentals, classes or tours. Even municipal parks can promote paddle craft as an ecological alternative to power boats, health, and enjoying a natural setting. Unfortunately, there is only a limited amount of money to go around, a virtual monopoly for time, and a need of advocacy to promote your pet interest, if you want to see it expand.

Personally, I’m comfortable with how the activity of kayaking is received, the availability is not an issue to me, and I’m not upset that dinasaurs are extinct. If you don’t adapt, you die, and that is inevitable. That is inevitable for the planet, so the best thing we can do is take care and try to leave as little trace as possible. Some day, even the earth will end, so efforts to preserve it will only go so far…

2 Likes

Altough I grew up around and on the water, I never met a kayak until my brother built a Folbot single at 13.
All the previous boats were our father’s work boats; made for burning gas and hauling a##.
My hobbies were walking, running, and hiking. A decent pair of shoes and I was gone. As cheap as it gets . My new and only wife gave me a pair of Puma running shoes . Best gift I’d ever gotten.
Many years later , my legs started to fail and a kayak was the answer. They still are with friends help.

2 Likes

I think it’s a combination of reasons, that have all been mentioned here - $$$$$, storage, fewer paddlers, and transportation.

About 20 or so years ago, I led an annual regional sea kayak event here in New England that had as many as 70 or so participants launching from up to 5 different places (Location determined by skill/interest level) and all meeting up on a large public beach. I seriously doubt that could be done anymore. Even club paddles were considerably larger than now, and one club I belonged to for years pretty much ceased to exist a couple of years ago due to lack of interest and new members. More than half of the people I used to paddle with have gone on to other things to do, or stopped because of age or health.

I myself had to cut back on skill level needed and how often I could paddle about 12 years ago due to health issues I have now. In fact, the neurologist has been adamant for years that I never go near a canoe or kayak again, but settled on “close to shore”. I still go, but nowhere near as often (Maybe twice a week on a good week), and at a considerably lower skill level when I do. And I’m only 61.

When I started, I was 34. Had to store my boat at a friend’s house, could only afford one and necessary equipment (Barely), and transported it on top of a Mustang that I had bought a couple of years before & couldn’t afford to replace. And I was very definitely the youngest of the group at the time.

So, yeah, there are a lot of issues. It’s the natural flow of things.

1 Like

I was 43 last year when I bought my first sea kayak in 2022. It is an expensive sport. Paddle, safety gears, adds easily another $1000 on top of the kayak. Want to do cold weather kayaking? That’s another $1000 for a drysuit. Don’t exclude the fast wear and tear to your car also. Parking at the beach regularly corrodes your car in many ways. Sands fall in between your car windows scratching them up.

The club I am in avg age is probably in their high 60s. They don’t look like they are in their 60s 70s or 80s bc they are all so physically fit. I don’t know if I am the youngest in my club but I have not met anyone younger yet.

I noticed most sea kayakers folks are usually established and successful to be able to enjoy the sport

2 Likes

@Wayne_Smith you made some good points. I was free to roam the waterways to my hearts desire at 61 and could easily go out long distances three dsys in a row. 11 years later, I’m still at it, but with less stamina, joint issues and longer recovery intervals. Leisurely or recreation kayaking can be enjoyed for years, but more agressive styles, whether high adventure or distances, places greater demands on the paddler. Unlike many demanding sports, such as hiking or mountain biking, skill developed over the years of kayaking can help improve efficiency so we can remain in the game longer. Now I seek ways to go faster, not so I can compete as much as to improve my ability to continue what came easily a decade ago!

Perhaps that’s why paddling is skewed more toward older participants. We typically have more free time, managed to amass a collection of boats and equipment through experimentation that typically results in higher quality equipment, acquired a proficiency through trial and error or formal training, and the impact of paddling can be moderated for a less demanding experience if needed. Therefore, the overall dwindling interest in paddling sports may simply retain an aging population. That’s a good thing; most of us don’t complain so much about the paddling or the cost of paddling, its the loading/unloading, transportation and storage that presents an issue for many. The fact of being in the boat is restorative and health. Essentially, younger people look for today’s action, rather than an activity they can enjoy after they’re too busted up for other things.

I find that most of my neices and nephews are drawn to the sea scooters that plague us or the thrill of motor powered watercraft. I actually traded the bicycle and hiking boot experience for the gentler impact of paddling. Even the fear of drowning or a death from cold water immersion is less fearful than the though of breaking my neck while bunny hopping a tree or smashing my skull on a rock.

Some day we’ll all be out of here. In the end, it doesn’t matter, because “we must do whats we wants tahdo!” Either sit and wait for it or pass the time doing what pleases most.

1 Like

Just get a picture of Taylor Swift standing next to a sea kayak and thousands of TikTokTwits will immediately buy one regardless of price. That’s all the “research” many seem to value these days.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I am not sure what you folks are talking about. Absolutely all the people I kayak with are younger. But perhaps that’s due to the fact I turn 83 in December.

11 Likes

Celebrity and sport star endorsements have been around for ages. Nothing has changed and people were as gullible then as now, except the internet makes it more noticeable and with larger numbers of followers who are readily accessible.

Olive oil has been around for a few thousand years but all of the sudden I’m supposed to buy some particular gimmicky brand because Oprah said so? Arrrgghh. Don’t get me started on an off-topic rant…. Oh wait, never mind.

1 Like

i was at one of those. Three clubs. Paddled out from Mystic CT with a fairly large crew. Memorable as the winds and chops picked up. We had a couple of paddlers that went over and needed assisted rescues. The scary part was number of speeding powerboaters out there. We had to keep a couple of folks on the perimeter, ready to wave their paddles to be visible.

Yes. Was shocked when that happened because the “appeal” for more volunteers and trip leaders failed. I don’t know if related or paralleled, but the “trip leader” model had legal burden for those willing to take that on. Thus, the rise of Common Adventure Model (CAM). The CAM trips still happen though I think these occur with smaller numbers in the trips.

I used to facilitate the New England Surf Kayakers sessions. But, I stopped when folks would just show who should not be there. Had to rescue one who went out into the surf when I told him explicitly to not paddle out because, as a total newbie, he was not ready for the conditions of that day. He went. A whistle blew. I and another surf kayaker had to pull him and his gear through the break zone. Never again after that. My group surf sessions became increasing smaller, limited with those I know and trust in the surf zone. And, even these dwindle over the years. Age, geographical spread, lost of interest…? Now, I am solo 99% of the time.

sing

3 Likes

And that’s how the market ends up with a glut of marginal quality boats priced to sell rather than perform. 15 years ago, I met a lot of people launching mostly CD, Necky and Perception sea kayaks, now it seems that Steve is buying them up. Back then, the kayakers were familiar with launch etiquette, where they prepped, launched and stayed out for hours.

The issue now is the glut of people launching big-box sourced boats. The shear number combined with an influx of affordable and easy to use paddle boards in itself isn’t an issue. They rarely clear the cove and mostly go out just far enough to use the PFD for a pillow and sun bathe. Then some massed groups go out to have fun just looking at each other. Few go more than 300 yard and the cove adopts the aspect of a gathering of carnival cows with dragon fly wings slowly grazing on seaweed.

They have every right to be there and enjoy the location, but it’s like training people on bumper cars then giving them an honorary driver license to flood the highways. The major problem is a lack of launch etiquette, and the fact that many, including some with very nice boats go out literally for 15 minutes and then return. The mix is comical, as the launch area is shared with a kayak rental company. The young attedant needs to explain the terms of the use agreement, kayaking dos and don’ts, the practical parameter of their pptential range and sights to be explored. Then with a reassuring pat on the shoulder and a discrete reorientation to flip the paddle before they launching, along with responding to the question about how it seems like it would work better the other way, with a reply that it making sense, since they’re unisex paddles.

I mitigate the confusion by avoiding weekends and holidays; small price for the solitude, but weekdays are when the school groups arrive with increased frequency for field trips. That’s a good thing because kids are exposed to nature, but they are really more interested in each other than the environment. There’s time for all.

It really isn’t as bad as I describe, but there definitely is a difference between then and now. I miss the old way, because it wasn’t uncommon to come across the same faces, which gave time to discuss boats, life and adventures. I miss that. I haven’t seen any of the old faces in years, and I still remember the boats they used.

1 Like

I solo, unless I’m helping someone with skills. I dont like crowds.

@KayakJourney, it was a commitment deciding to buy that first kayak, then the sales clerk asks if you need a paddle [you mean it doesn’t come with one, and a nice one can cost half as much as the boat]. A PFD, how much are they? $326 suddenly creeps up to $500. It still isn’t that expensive in the long run, and it doesn’t cost any more to take a long trip as compared to a short one.

I own multiple boats, PFDs, and paddles. I’ve been using my primary boat for over 15 years, and I finally replaced my 15 year old primary PFD (Transport brand), because I wanted different features. My paddle is 15 years old. Counting the miles that the gear has seen, I can’t think of a more cost effective return on my investment. I can truely say, and prefer to think of it this way, I spent more money outfitting family members with my hand-me-downs that I invested in myself.

For the past four years, I’ve been saying I started kayaking 15 years ago. That’s an easy way to stay young. After all this time, it still has only been 15 years.

Young folks (20s-30s) golf…that is an expensive sport for both equipment and to play a round.

Edited: to include a definition of what I was unclearly referring to as young folks.

2 Likes

Young folks golf???

Not around here!

1 Like

I always thought of golf as a geezer sport. Tiger Woods somewhat changed that perception for some people but to me it’s still a geezer sport. Gimme pickleball over that any day! (No, I don’t play that, either.)

Too much time standing around, and then they ride on carts instead of walking and carrying the gear.

My high school did have a golf team, as does the high school in my current home area. Not as popular among young people as mtbing, not by a long shot.

2 Likes

Agreed - time, money and competing interests all play a factor. When I was young my 3 kids took up most of my time. I started paddling seriously in my mid-40’s.

I also think there are also a lot of people who never make the jump from “recreational flatwater paddling” to “sea kayaking”. The equipment is more expensive, the training is more extensive, and there are fewer clubs around to bring new paddlers along. At least around here, there are plenty of coaches if you have the money to pay. My local club does a pretty good job bringing new paddlers along, but lets face it, the really good paddlers want to be out having fun themselves, not paddling the easy stuff with a bunch of newbies. For a lot of people it isn’t worth the time, effort or money to make the jump up.

Same issues with whitewater, which is also equipment, training and experience intensive.

2 Likes