Is there a better SOT (Tarpon 140)?

WS Freedom
If you can do without the tank well, take a look at the Freedom. At 15’ it is in between the tarpons and I liked it better than the Tarpon. I had it out in some fairly rough water and caught salmon with it. Does not need a rudder but does need thigh straps. Very good tracking and turns well with lean.

A vote for…
the Cobra Expedition and Tourer. I owned an Expedition briefly that I had to sell to deal with money problems, but I am saving for another and looking for a good deal. Its fast & quiet with no hull slap, and extremely light for its almost 18 foot length, just 48 lbs. The sleekest “plastic” sit on top I’ve ever paddled.

I own a Tourer with rudder and prefer it over the Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 which I also owned, superior storage and more room for feet and legs and adjusting them from time to time. I’m entering the sweepstakes every day to win the Tourer, and I’d sell it to get another Expedition.

All that being said, if your looking for maneuverability and a good all around SOT, the Tarpon 120 seems to be preferred for river use over the 140, and is less of a wet ride for bigger people despite the shorter length…

Nice Pictures Jim!

More Info.
Thanks again everyone… You don’t seem to find a lot of SOT posts on these boards so I’m very glad to see all the responses.

I’ll go ahead and answer some of the questions Barracuda asked…

I’m 5’11", 185 lbs., will be paddling in the Gulf- mostly near and around St. George Island, and bays, rivers and lakes in North West Florida (Tallahassee area). If anyone knows where I can get one of these Kayaks used in the Tallahassee area, please let me know. After reading all the posts, I guess I’m still leaning toward the Tarpon 140 or 160, but evidently I can’t go wrong with any of them. Thanks again.

Can’t Go Wrong
I think one of the Tarpons would be a good choice. Personally, I like to have a tankwell on a SOT.

You might check out sitontopkayaking. A website just for SOTs. It doesn’t get much traffic, but useful stuff there specific to SOTs

SOT websites
I’ve checked out sitontopkayaking(topkayaker.net). You’re right, good stuff. I also just found www.kayakfishingstuff.com. This site seems to have Good reviews and product info on the above mentioned boats. It seems the Prowler is giving the Tarpon a run for its money.

Just remember the SOT reviewers…

– Last Updated: Jul-13-05 4:02 PM EST –

...on the fishing boards (oh heck, on the SOT board and here too!) tend to be OK with more beam for stability and lounge chair type comfort over touring efficiency, proper paddling technique, and easy reentries (be careful of this when outfitting yours BTW). Not all SOT paddlers, but most. Many could care less about speed and don't cover any more distance than they have to to get to fish either.

All I'm saying is that you should decide based on whatever it is YOU want to do - not what others paddling different waters and with different interests, size, fitness and such may prefer. Try to keep other's comments in context.

All are decent enough products - but all are STILL comparing themselves to the T160 (even the other so called "Tarpons" which are very different) and to some extent the much older Scupper Pro. To me that says more than anything any of us has said individually.

IMO - The T160 is a touring kayak that also happens to be great for fishing. As such it just plain paddles better. The others are mostly fishing platforms - except the fairly all purpose Scupper Pro which while slower than the T160 may be better for punching out through beach break. Both are pretty good once outside. OK's narrow seat has already been mentioned - but those molded in foot rests haven't. Some like - some hate. I'd rather have pegs and a smooth cockpit even if they are cheesy Keepers pegs (I never came close to breaking mine, but broke both SealLines in my QCC!).

OK Prowler 13
The Tarpon is a great boat but the Prowler is more for the money, and more curent technology. It is fast for it’s length, tracks very well and turns easily. Also very stable and makes a great fishing boat. Comes with a built in urinal which is a great comfort on long trips or when top water fishing all night

You can glean a lot of good SOT
angling feedback, if you thoroughly review the kayakfishingstuff website and the FLYCC website. Plenty of comparisons and review of techniques by yakkers with many hours of paddle angling.I the end,you are the one to decide what floats your own boat and meets your specific needs.

yeah

– Last Updated: Jul-14-05 1:11 PM EST –

What Greyak said, he and I both are QCC drivers too, so we have a very Nice Bench mark boats on which to compare performance specs. When a fat SOT is the ONLY boat you have EVER paddled naturally you will think its great. Heck My first car was an OLD VW BUG, I used to think it WAS fast too!!!!

Good Points Greyak and Swedge
You make some good points. I think I’ll be happier in the long run with a more efficient, faster boat for touring. For me the fishing is secondary.

yeah
the FACT that I still paddle my T-160 quite often even though I have Two QCC-700s speaks volumes!!

Touring vs. Fishing continued
When I got my T160 - I also planned to get new rod & reel and other gear and take up fishing again. I used to love to fish and now lived in a fisherman’s paradise! Seemed perfect (plus no way could I afford a “real” boat!).

Guess what. While I was educating myself on gear appropriate to salt water kayak fishing - I paddled the Tarpon quite a bit. It ended up that I enjoyed paddling so much I lost almost all interest in fishing from it.

That too says a lot about the kayak. So do the the many 15-20 mile day paddles - and a couple near 30 milers I did on it.

I have since sold mine (it sat neglected for a year after I got the Q700 before I would admit it was not being used!) - but I do miss it some days. Particularly in Summer heat/humidity and launching off the beach.

the advice
given by Greyak is pretty much right on. If you look at the fishing sites they will rave about this or that kayak for fishing. Keep in mind that most of these people don’t paddle long distances. The ones that do own Prowlers and Tarpon 160’s. By long distances I mean more than 3 miles to a fishing spot! My usual fishing trips involve at least a 10 mile round trip. So, as others have said…make a list of what is important to you and then buy the kayak that will fit that need and that you can be comfortable in it for hours.

I presently have a QCC for long distance fishing trips and overnights. A solo canoe for my day trips under 10 miles.

Well, the Scupper is no slouch there
One of the days I paddled it (rental) was about 15 miles in whitecaps. I was going slower than someone else in a slightly longer SINK (whom I normally am even with or ahead of), but the difference was not enough to be disruptive.

A few more SOTs for you to consider
particularly if you are more interested in reasonably fast touring (i.e. keeping up with folks in SINKs) as opposed to fishing.

Heritage Sea Dart (comes in two sizes the 14’ and the 17’ - the 17 used to be called the Expedition. Currently only made in plastic but occasionally you can find a used composite model. The plastic versions are heavy for their size the 14 is 60+lbs and the 17 is 70+lbs).

Cobra Expedition (18’ and fast, wet ride, reportedly not too great in heavier waves)

Heritage Nomad (16’ no longer made, you can find both plastic and composite versions used - not suited for anyone over 200lbs)

About Time Someone Mentioned Heritage
Jez, they’ve made the BEST sot’s for years…

heritagekayaks.com

I really hate that word
"BEST" for what? Ain’t no such thing as the best boat. Best boat for a particular paddler and type of paddling, maybe.

Yeah, Heritage boats are famous for…
… being the hardest to remount with their high angular cockpit sides! (Note the unique hump amidships that has to be climbed over). They were looking for a drier ride, but there is a trade-off.

Thing are relative, and they may not actually be “hard” to remount (some will admit it, others with deny it) - but you can’t sit sidesaddle comfortably to take a break and slip on and of over a nice rounded side like you can from a T160.