is there any need for 240 kayak paddles?

Good For
Tandem folding kayaks - Klepper, Pouch, even Pakboats PII. C.

Canoes
Try paddling a canoe with a 240 or even a 250.

Then try paddling a canoe with a 220. No contest!

240 BOATS TO
PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Big Spoon
I use a 240 Big Spoon. It doesn’t matter what I’m paddling. I started with a 230 Werner but won’t go back. The longer paddle will wear you out sooner but is a faster paddle. In a Tarpon 160 I can easily maintain a 4 MPH speed for an hour or more in calm conditions. That’s the only kayak I use a GPS with. The length of your paddle choice, in my opinion, depends more on body strength than anything else. The stronger you are the easier it is the handle a longer paddle. For me it was no problem to change my stroke to match paddle length.

240 cm paddles
Sounds like you’ve gotten the straight scoop on long paddle: taller paddlers, wider boats such as doubles, SOTs and canoes. Many people don’t use a lower angle, casual “touring” stroke which works well with a longer paddle. The upright, more perpendicular stroke usually requires the shorter paddle. Too long are cumbersome but the 240 is a great canoeing paddle…

240 paddles?
From the title of your thread, I thought you were trying to justify going out and buying some more paddles. More than 1 is nice, but 240 of them?!