Is this normal as a brand new polyethylene kayak?

I’d like to give you a hint.

The fiberglass version of this kayak has been in production for more than 40 years.

I also think the hole is for a rudder. However, it already has a built-in skeg.

Whilst Overstreet has it…

@gorsescent@yahoo.co.jp said:
I’d like to give you a hint.

The fiberglass version of this kayak has been in production for more than 40 years.

I also think the hole is for a rudder. However, it already has a built-in skeg.

How long is it?

Troll.

Celia, what do you mean by ‘‘talking about NDK’s chopped stand glass layups?’’

I don’t think the folks who had a case about this are still active on the board. But it was pretty hot and heavy for a while.

The original NDK (prior to reforming as NDKS) kayaks were hand laid and used chopped fiberglass strands with something binding them together where other manufacturers were using more complete sheets. Also with compounds binding them together. I don’t make boats so I can’t give you the blend of the resins. There was at least one person on the Board who felt strongly that NDK’s boats like this were far more prone to holing thru etc. than done the other way. They were also fairly heavy because NDK was took the idea of the gel coat being a sacrificial layer to save the boat seriously. They made the boats with a good bit of sacrifice available.

I should note that this is also the era where most people buying an NDK boat somewhere along the line had heard of the uncommonly short distance between where the boats were made and a pretty good pub. Since the cockpit opening was also hand cut, there were times when you saw a cockpit opening that looked like it had been cut after lunch.

All that said, more than two decades later both of the older NDK boats that Jim and I had are doing fine. They are an Elite layup Romany that has one major repair and multiple spots of things like spider crack stuff, as well as the Explorer that has one of my not fancy gel cost repairs from being dropped on a concrete ramp and more spider crack goop And a spot of tenacious tape. I am lazy so I really like the spider crack stuff.

I assume NDSK is doing vacuum layups like everyone else now, and that this has altered the details of the fiberglass or equivalent base material they use. But those were some heated debates.

Seaward doesn’t vacuum

Celia, thank you for your explanation.

@Sparky961 said:
…and what the heck is the hole for? Add-a-rudder?

It’s a “banana boat” it has too much rocker for a rudder. This is likely the bow.

OK. I suppose it’s OK to write the name of the kayak here. It’s the Nordkapp by Valley kayaks.

This is my first time to see the actual Nordkapp.

Have you ever seen a polyethylene Nordkapp? If yes, how was the finish of its surface?

Poly Nordkapp…………… no, never seen one. My friends have the “original” model, a fiber glass boat(s). For a poly boat you got no problems that we can see. No law suit. No finish problems shown. You are focusing on a tiny part of the over all boat. If you want “furniture” poly is not the material. Think composites.

@gorsescent@yahoo.co.jp said:
OK. I suppose it’s OK to write the name of the kayak here. It’s the Nordkapp by Valley kayaks.

This is my first time to see the actual Nordkapp.

Have you ever seen a polyethylene Nordkapp? If yes, how was the finish of its surface?

I test paddled a RM H2O Nord a few years back. That’s what they called that model back then. The dealer gave us several Valleys to try and I paddled the Nord as a curiosity but ordered a different boat.
All plastic molded things will have flash that has to be detailed afterwards they just missed that little part.

Yes, that is mold-release “flash”, as Grayhawk explains. There would have been a pin inside the boat mold that the poly flowed around at that end, probably one that could be drawn out when the mold was opened. The plastic just seeped around the pin base. A few seconds with a utility knife would clean that up.

Rather fascinating to watch videos of how rotomold kayaks are produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XW_0Ngizog&frags=pl%2Cwn

We humans have a “mold release flash” too – it’s called a navel.

We don’t trim “outies” though.

Hello, folks. I appreciate all of your opinions.

I know somebody who had their “outie” trimmed by a plastic surgeon. She was self-conscious about the way it protruded and liked to wear bikinis.

@willowleaf said:
I know somebody who had their “outie” trimmed by a plastic surgeon. She was self-conscious about the way it protruded and liked to wear bikinis.

That hurts just thinking about it… :s

@grayhawk said:

@willowleaf said:

That hurts just thinking about it… :s

YOW!

That’s why I said above that Overstreet had nailed it, carefully using the word “whilst”. It is Brit thing and you will see it used on Valley’s site.
I recall seeing a couple of the RM Nordkapps, which model they called it I had not recalled. Only comment on the Nordkapp is, except for the LV model which this is not, don’t be shy about loading it with gear. They tend to behave better with a bit of load in them, though they fixed the worst of this issue with the models in the era of your boat…