Jet Boil

thanks everyone
I appreciate the input. I guess what I like about the design of the JetBoil is the way it all fits together in a very compact package. My snow peak is very small, but by the time you have the fuel canister and pot with the lid that doubles as a skillet, and coffee filter and coffee mug added to it, they don’t nest as well and don’t stay together well. If I were on a trip with extreme needs regarding weight and volume, my Snow Peak would win because I’d only take the titanium cup to heat water in…not the pot and lid/skillet. For base camping, the old 2 burner coleman is hard to beat, although I don’t always take it, just using the snow peak. I guess I’m still undecided whether to buy the JetBoil yet…I may just wait for my Snow Peak to wear out…which might be a long time.

Thanks again.

Jill

reliability?
Can anyone comment on extended backcountry reliability and maintenance?

I can vouch for the Snow Peak

– Last Updated: Dec-28-07 3:15 PM EST –

GST-100A...Used it on a 49 day kayak trip and 5 one week trips flawlessly. The beauty is in the size. Outside dimensions on the storage box are: 1.5" x 2" x 3.5". For cooking I take 2 ss coffee cups that fit inside each other. (No pots, pans, bowls or coffee presses).

Canoe stove
OK, gotta weigh in here. I get tempted all the time by kewl new gear but I’m still tripping with a 20+ year old Optimus 111. It’s reliable, burns really hot with gas or kerosene, still looks good, in a weatherworn Robert Redford kind of way, when you polish up the brass. The tank easily holds enough fuel for two big meals and much more if you go for a simpler menu than I’ll ever use. That keeps things compact.

I’ll bet you could buy a small apartment stove for less money, but it’s worth it. Check out eBay; they’re still available.

My $0.02.

Steve

I have had good luck
after a week’s BWCA trip and probably 15-20 days of carrying it in a pack while hiking.

Jet Boil sells replacement piezoelectric starters, and I have heard that clumsy nandling will displace or destroy the element. Of course, every Jet Boil user carries back-up matches or a lighter, right?

Aas for the burner assy, it can be disassembled for cleaning if needed. I have not needed to, but have reduced it to it’s basic parts just for fun.

But I am sure it is not as durable as an old Svea 123.

Jim

cool, thanks Jim
I’ve had two MSRs and a coleman backpacker I’ve had trouble with (need constant cleaning). Perhaps I’m just hard on stoves.

Yeah. I’ve got one of those also. Haven’t used it an ages because other gear works better for me. Once and again I fire it up to see what I’m missing. Nothing. It works OK but time has marched on and passed it by.

I’ve worked in the outdoor retail indusrty for 35 years. I have all kinds of equipment, 111’s included. Simplicity is nice but it doesn’t come close to a Jet Boil for heating water, but n the 111 was never the best of breed for that.

all three of those…
…require constant cleaning. Business as usual.

Huh ?
What are you burning in them? I have 2 coleman 1 burners(1 is almost 40 yrs old) and an Msr whisperlight and only clean them once a year (whether they need it or not) but I only burn coleman fuel, pump gas has too many impurities (additives)and will foul your stove in no time