JetBoil advice

there’s a lot of truth in what you say

– Last Updated: Apr-15-10 12:31 AM EST –

Other systems can pack down as small, as light, etc. But where the JB system really excels is in its compactness, and that it brings it all together in one package.

I had to stick to a tight schedule to make it to the north end of Colvos Passage before the tide turned (http://www.landfall-learning.org/images/misc/mapBlakeIsl.gif). The window was tight. I figured I could spare 15 minutes for lunch. couldn't spend an hour here or an hour there to make it on time. It was rainy and cold. That is the scenario in which a Jetboil comes into its own. I pulled ashore, fired it up and sipped miso soup while my hands warmed up. I was able to heat water right there on the back deck of my boat. It comes out of the dry bag, snaps together, you cook, break it down, and back into the dry bag in a single piece again.

But you are right about it cooking for two (unless you wanted miso soup or something quick to drink for two). I love to cook from scratch and often prefer cooking with other things--an Outback Oven, etc.--too. So it's not like I'm wed to the Jetboil. There are just some situations where it comes into its own, like that--the situation above.

how did you survive

– Last Updated: Apr-14-10 6:37 PM EST –

on just one cup of coffee.....

Misc thoughts
1. It is called a “Personal Cooking System”. Very true - unless you like taking turns at boiling water, it is not for two.

2. The stabilizer legs help immensely on uneven ground.

3. I carry an old MSR foil windscreen to use with it. Yes, I know that there is a chance of overheating the cannister, but that can be dealt with. In breezes the screen really helps maintain the flame.

Jim

agree…
…on all counts

agree …
on 1 & 2

for #3, just put it behind your kayak/canoe

hey now

ah. I was misinformed
Although you have to get the diffuser and pot support (the latter of which you might need for any small stove).

For my purposes…
…the Jet Boil is the perfect tool. I’ve used all of the MSR’s and the only thing that comes close (for my purposes) is the Reactor.

The Reactor performs better for two paddlers or more but is larger than I need and takes up more space than I’m willing to part with.

Some of the white gas stoves pack smaller but aren’t nearly as fast. The JB utilizes space really well.

Jon

yes
Stock up on some good food!

so now I have to buy a kayak?
:slight_smile: