Kayak buying advice in Ontario Canada

I get what you are saying and I appreciate that you are speaking up when you think someone is potentially doing something that is not safe

I’ve called off several camping trips because of less than ideal conditions.

I do not know much about which kayaks would be ideal for Georgian Bay given my groups vessels (why I am here) but I have kayaked a dozen times in open ocean and have been on at least thirty 4-5 day canoe trips in all types of water. I might be a kayak newbie but I have a lot of respect for the water and mother nature

I am aware most people would suggest a touring kayak for these conditions and rightfully so as they are the best option. Unfortunately my friends are not likely looking at a touring kayaks. My main question, besides recommendations, was if a sit on top or inflatable that was meant for open water would be a viable option, albeit a slower option or would it be a such a painful paddling experience (that could possibly be offset with electric or pedal assist)

Regarding the size of Georgian Bay. Most camping would be on closer islands

1 Like

Re: hull shape - There is quite a lot of discussion on hull shape on this forum. As you might expect, those with a lot of paddling time in many different boats under a wide range of conditions generally have the best insights on hull shape as one element in a multi-variable equation. I agree 100% that it should be of greater consideration by those just starting out in the sport, but am not sure how to make that happen. One thing we can do is encourage beginners to buy at a reputable paddling shop with knowledgeable staff. The future of these shops rests with repeat business so they will usually do whatever they can to make sure their customers are safe and happy. Online vendors and big box discounters … well, that’s a different story.
Re Delta/Eddyline/Swift - Those of us who know and love the Great Lakes (“Unsalted and Shark Free!”) appreciate that they can present ocean-like conditions in minutes. Elsewhere on this forum you will see much discussion of the risks involved in taking any boat out in conditions for which it was not intended. With that in mind, you’ll note that Swift puts their kayaks into three categories: Recreation, Sport/Recreation and Light Touring. Maybe I take these categories to literally, but I never considered using my Swift where ocean or ocean-like conditions could arise. On the other hand, both Delta and Eddyline offer “performance” boats within their range. I have not owned either so cannot comment on their seaworthiness in more challenging conditions, but would suggest that broad-brush statements may not be uniformly applicable to all models from either brand.
Re rotomolded hulls - I don’t think you’ll get much argument on this forum on the advantages of RM plastic in rock encounters (regardless of hull shape).

1 Like

Andrew you can see where this is going… Multiple craft!

2 Likes

Take a look at Dropbox - ACASkillLevels.pdf - Simplify your life for a summary of how the American Canoe Association breaks down different categories of water and what types of vessels are appropriate for each.

This of course assumes that the paddler has sills to match the level of the water.

Touring kayaks and sit on tops do have the flotation they talk about for class II and above. Recreational class kayaks (the generally short and wide with large cockpits) usually don’t.

This was scanned from Roger Schumann’s Basic Sea Kayaking guide book (https://amzn.to/47aEqzt). Disclosure - I provided some photos and did a pre-publication review of the book. All unpaid.

1 Like

“It would be hard to design a landscape more suited to sea-kayaking than Georgian Bay.” Reynolds & Smith, Kayaking Georgian Bay.

Look, @Andrew85’s original post mentioned 2-3 day trips. That involves camping gear. Personally I would go with a sea kayak with hatch-sealed compartments fore and aft for that - its a no-brainer I’m not familiar with the sots and inflatables in this thread, do they have storage?

2 Likes

Can you explain what the relationship is between your friends’ choices and your choices?

Well, actually some broad-brush statements can be made because each of these companies has its own philosophy about what’s important in a kayak and you do see similarities across the models in the lineup of each brand. These are very distinctive characteristics, namely the very low bow and stern in Eddylines and the very voluminous bow and stern in Deltas. I haven’t looked at Swift’s kayaks in years since my mishap, but at the time the Swift designs had a shallow arch with round chines—this would not be my first choice for stability in challenging conditions.

My choice depends somewhat on my friends vessel.

If they are going to be in something slower, i would put less value in speed vs stability, versatility, portability, etc. Regardless of the type of kayak

Some SOTs are geared towards camping. A packing video i watched showed 65L bag stowed away plus another 20L dry bag plus fishing gear

Some inflatables have storage approaching canoe levels, but likely are slow but some are outfitted with small motors for open water use (typically electric)

My light setup is under 65L if we have a long route with multiple portages. With limited portages i typically go 85L

Wouldn’t you want to get a kayak that suits your own long-term needs rather than your friends preferences? On Georgian Bay it seems like your main priority should be safety, not speed. “Slow” may mean less secondary stability because recreational kayaks often aren’t built for that. In the right kayak you can have a reasonable amount of both stability and speed.

Have you investigated the water temperature of Georgian Bay in various seasons and what happens to the body at each temperature range? This kayaker was suffering from hypothermia after being in the water on Georgian Bay for 2 hours on May 30, 2020, even though he was wearing a wetsuit. It’s hard to understand why you would be considering anything other than a closed kayak with two bulkheads and a stable hull, since your life depends on it.

Also, what your friends do is relevant to your choices because if they end up in the water you will be involved in their rescue, putting you at even more risk. Choose your paddling partners carefully and only participate in groups that have the right kayaks, gear, and paddling skills for Georgian Bay. It sounds like you need to hire an experienced guide to help you plan these trips. The things you’re considering doing are really worrisome.

I wouldn’t get a recreational kayak nor is anyone in the group getting a recreational vessel and using it for touring open water.

When searching for best touring kayaks/canoes, several inflatable and SoT came up.

Heck even this site has an inflatable in their top 10 touring kayaks

Summer camping only.

Yes i am aware of the temperature, typically 16-20 degrees C when we would go. It’s not like i haven’t been around there. I had a cottage at lions head, canoed to the most western part of massauaga and used to camp at beausoleil island as a kid

I dont understand the fear mongering. First it’s an article of some idiot taking an entire family 4 miles off shore. Now it’s another idiot in open water in near freezing water.

Unsafe taking an expedition inflatable or canoe a couple km off shore is worrisome? I know several people that canoe to these islands with way less experience.

1 Like

Check 20C on this hypothermia chart: Hypothermia Table

Good thing we have all those things and wear them when going out further north

There is a massive difference from going in may vs august.

I also have an Inreach

I had two bad experiences with Michelin tires back in the 80’s and haven’t bought a set since. But I would never write off the company with a broad brush generalization. :smirk:

OK, no more fear mongering. Have fun!

1 Like

carldelo; FWIW, Swift Canoe are based in South River, Ontario (factory & store). They also have retail outlets in Bracebridge, ON, Algonquin Park, ON and Waubaushene, ON. All other locations are agents.

1 Like

Thanks - I remember seeing them for sale at a place in Lake Placid or Tupper Lake years ago and made the assumption they came from there.

1 Like