Kayak camping gear advise

Second the dragonfly
I have little experience with canister stoves, but I know the Dragonfly is a good one. The only thing I have seen malfunction (in near continous use), was the wire pot holder. This did not make the stove unusable. They are so simple, they can always be made to work. They are also a bit more stable than most canisters.

Went with HH
Ended up ordering the HH Explorer Deluxe with the big hex fly. I decided I’d try it out, if I don’t like it, I’ll sell it to a friend who was looking at getting a hammock as well, and buy a tent. Now I just need a sleeping bag for it, some drybags, a stove, cooking stuff, saw, rope, tarp, a folding chair, etc… :wink:

Now that the debate is over…
I’ve had a Sven saw for over 10 years. I just told my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago it may be time for a new blade. http://www.svensaw.com/

I’m in love with this tarp. It may be larger than most people would want but has pockets on the corners so it can be set up on paddle blades.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0260/c3/s30/MSR-19-Parawing.html

Also, my next dry bag…
will be this one.

http://www.msrcorp.com/packtowl/shower.asp

Little things…
…Stoves and Hammocks …have been cussed and discussed…you will get the fly with the hammock, use the snakeskins to keep the hammock rolled above your head till it’s time to crash…that leaves the fly to cook/hang out under…you shouldn’y need the extra tarp…

Hammock hint: Spray the entire hammock, MINUS the fly, with permethrin (Wal-Mart). it keeps aggressive skeeters from biting through the fabric…

Headlamp…get one, you’ll need it. GPS and compass (Get both). VHF Radio…use it to talk to Boat Captains when/where needed, it has weather channels, and it’s backup; MAYDAY (Here’s hoping you never need it for that).

Get a Primus Trek kettle…Stainless is to heavy, and you won’t need the extra pots…

http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/cookware/primus_litechtrekkettle.php

Water?
What will you be drinking? I like my PUR Hiker filter. You may want to consider a pouch if you will be hauling water. And don’t forget the small flask, or my name ain’t booztalkin!

I converted a non-stick pot set from kitchen to camping use. By myself in the kayak, I only bring one small pot plus my old mess kit from scouts. Definately get non-stick, as it makes the clean-up way easier. Depending on what you’re cooking, you can get away with as little as a single spoon for utensils. I tend to cook one pot wonders of various sorts. The second pot, from the mess kit, is useful for heating water to clean up with.

I tend to pack a lot of loose items in the kayak. Anything that won’t suffer from getting wet usually goes in among the nooks and crannies–canned food, bottles of water, stove fuel, cutting board, tarp, bug juice, the list goes on. If you do the same, consider bring a light, compressable duffel that you can use once you reach where you are going. Tossing all the loose stuff in the bag makes it easier to carry and keeps it all in one spot, which should be useful since you aren’t likely to put that stuff in your hammock.

A little spade can be useful.

On the stove question, I just bought one to replace the Coleman Peak 1 that got confiscated by luggage screeners at a New Zealand airport. Funny thing is, there was another guy in the store buying a replacement MSR, and we both had the same rationale, we were replacing stoves, had been happy with our last stove, and were rebuying from the same product line. The Peak 1 wasn’t available, so I bought the current model of Coleman. He got an MSR.

The Coleman is considered by most people to be a very pedestrian stove, but I like it because it is simple and fast to light, and it works well. My pot is usually boiling by the time my buddy is done fiddling with and lighting his whisperjet, but maybe he is just slow. The Coleman probably is heavier than other stoves, but for kayak camping, who cares? The Peak 1 was working as good as new after 100 days camping. I hope the Kiwi luggage guys use it and don’t just throw it out, I’d hate to know a perfectly good stove was just thrown in the trash, and they do love their outdoor activities down there.

Chip Walsh, Gambrills, MD

Water, etc.
Why did they confiscate the stove? Worries about fuel inside? I’m planning on getting the MSR Whisperlite, btw!

Water: Looking at different water filters, but since I don’t plan on any extended trips this summer, probably just 1 - 3 night trips, I could just pack the water, so I might look for a nice collapsible water jug. I have a 3 liter Camelbak bladder I strap to my deck for drinking water while paddling.

Water backups
Filters are useful, and I wouldn’t be without one.

But if you want to get going right away while you shop around for one, carry your water AND bring some purification tablets with you, just in case you run out of clean water. The tablets take almost no space, and even after you get a filter they can serve as a back-up water source.

Iodine tablets do not kill cryptosporidia. The more-expensive Katadyne tablets do.

Why bother
with a tent unless you really want one, If you have a couple cheep tarps you can construct a tee pee, I use one all the time and have been in some bad storms and found them very stable

those LED lights are small and last a long time

as far as a stove, I have several depending on where im camping but in an old die hard fire camper

When its cold, a nice fire inside the tee pee sure is nice

Ended up buying…
The HH I previously ordered

North Face Cats Meow bag, long, R side zip

MSR Dragonfly stove

MSR BlackLite cookset

MSR MiniWorks EX water filter

6 liter Platypus water tank

1 SealLine Kodiak Taper 20

2 SealLine 10 liter drybags (I realized I’ll probably need more)

PrincetonTec Yukon HL headlamp

a Sven Saw

a folding shovel

some plastic utensils

I’m sure I’ll have to buy more stuff, but this will get me started (it sure cost enough! but I was starting from scratch basically).

Brian

Some good
choices there…good luck and have fun!

Damon