Kayak Camping - packing the boat

80 Pounds for 2 for 3 Days
For a 3 day camping trip when backpacking, not kayaking camping, my husband will carry about 60 pounds and I will have about 20 lbs. We have pretty lightweight gear, but my husband may have a few “extras” that are not needed. Water not included as we filter when possible.

Everything that’s there for 3 days can also be for 1 week, by adding more food (dehydrated).

I’ve camped and kayaked, but not kayak camping. We camped at a set spot and kayak for days in the area. I did have fun kayaking to a beach to retrieve wood for a fire. I refuse to buy wood.

On a side note, if you plan to camp along places where there is no water for cleaning yourself up, you can take along some of those baby wipes. They work great. Take as many as you think you’d need and put them in a zip lock bag.

Also, it’s nice to take along those packets you add to water to flavor it.

-Capri

wine? in boxes?
Last trip I took ,she carried a real glass wine-bottle… and we camped right next to the park rangers!

I cut a camelpack tube short, attached a twist valve and filled with red wine, Then froze it!

It packed well, didn’t brak, and, when empty, I could refill it with water via my katadyn!

I bought my 12’ Dirago just so I could
camp! I have a 14’ Dirago in Minneapolis but never got up there to paddle it. I live in Tucson, Arizona.

Weight… I started with a coleman single-burner propane until I got tired of wastingthe weight and space on those canisters. They ALWAYS poop out halfway through a meal.

So nowe i carry my old Optimus camper. It plus all the fuel I could need takes the same space and weight as my Colerman stove and ONE canister. Plus it is easier t ojudge how much fuel I use with the liquid.

For a back-up, I have one of those folding stoves that fit in a pocket and use solid fuel squares. Carried one for years with the military.

Re: MRE (Meals, rejected by (starving) Ethiopians…

The first gen MRE were useful for nothing more than sand-bag fill. I gave a cracker to my kids pet rat and he made it into a house.

But the newer MRE’s are very good. So long as you don’t eat them exclusivly for a week or more. then you need a corkscrew to poop.

And trader Joes has a LOT of excellent “meal-in-a-bag” for busy families. Add boiling water to the bag and eat. Or dip in boiling water, open and eat, then use the hot water for washing or hot chocolate.

We have come a long was from the C-rats or canned food when I was young.

Here it is
http://www.paddling.net/sameboat/archives/sameboat244.html

Plus another article on kayak camping (written by someone I know well):

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?317